Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 AM

173 posts, read 312,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
I think the issue is still the closing of the railroad crossing.
Looks like the Town of Cary approved a railroad crossing deal in May:

Quote:
c. Four-Party Railroad Agreement – CSX, NCDOT, Parkside and Town of Cary (EN12-067)
Committee unanimously recommended supporting the revised Parkside Town Commons Project proposal under the current the terms and conditions. Committee further recommended entering into a Four-Party Railroad Agreement with the addition of an acknowledgement by the Developer that the agreement is not entered into under duress, a covenant not to sue the Town by the developer, and an indemnification of the town by the Developer, and granting staff authority to make consistent changes and resolve minor issues that do not affect the overall intent of the proposed agreement. In addition, committee recommended authorizing staff to make related accounting entries necessary to reflect the activities detailed in the proposal. (Approved)
May 24, 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM

300 posts, read 970,087 times
Yes, this was the last piece of news on it:

Cary News | West Cary mall snags on pricey negotiations

Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,824,062 times
For more details on the agreement read this.

The basic agreement is that the railroad crossings at Morrisville Carpenter Road and Carpenter Fire Station Road must both be closed, and a bridge built over the tracks instead, for the railroad to allow the developer to build a new crossing at O'Kelly Chapel Road.

The agreement contains a provision wherein, if the crossings are not closed and the bridge is not built within 10 years of execution of the agreement (which I guess would mean 2022), CSX will block traffic at the new crossing that the developer plans to build. Right now, construction of the bridge is not certain since no funding has been secured. I can imagine that the possibility of losing a major access route 10 years from now will prevent tenants from signing, and would basically prevent this complex from taking off.

There is, however, a bond issue up for vote this November that will pay for construction of the bridge over the tracks and the realignment for Morrisville Carpenter Road & Carpenter Fire Station Road intersection at Hwy 55. I suppose the developer will wait for this bond issue vote - if it passes, the uncertainty is diminished and they can proceed. If it fails, I imagine they will wait for identification of other funds for the bridge before moving forward.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,796,282 times
So they could build the shopping center first and then build the bridges...as long as they build the bridges w/in 10 years?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Yes - I suppose the developer can start building as soon as they get all their permits. I guess the bridge needs to be built before May 2022? I would not be surprised however, if the developer and tenants want assurances that it WILL happen, in the form of committed funds from a bond issue or wherever, but maybe 10 years is far enough in the future that they don't care.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:22 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,796,282 times
Great! This shopping center would be just as close to RTP as Brier Creek. I wouldn't mind a few more lunch options!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 AM

This shopping center will be MUCH closer to southern RTP than Brier Creek. This will be about 3 minutes drive from where I work.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM

300 posts, read 970,087 times
Article from Cary News from yesterday:

Cary News | West Cary Mall on track again

Sounds like it's making slow progress

Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 AM

173 posts, read 312,082 times
I read in that article that the bridge would cost $17 million. Seems like a huge waste of money to build a bridge over a railroad crossing that sees maybe one train per day. I really don't get the reasoning behind CSX's requirement as that railroad is hardly used and the trains that do use it are usually very slow and very short.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 AM

I agree that it seems like a waste, but the railroad was there long before the roads. Also, the RR is an entity that enables interstate commerce, and as such is regulated at the federal level. This means that the state has no power of eminent domain over the railroad. Therefore, barring federal intervention, CSX has absolute say over which roads get built across their tracks and which don't. They've already allowed a number of new crossings lately (Hopson, Kit Creek, and Morrisville Parkway come to mind, all of which have four lanes, plus Davis Drive was widened to four lanes) so I'm not really surprised that they've drawn a line in the sand somewhere.

On a related note, I hope something can be worked out to allow the railroad crossing for Westhigh street in W. Cary to be built. That road could take some of the traffic off of Waldo Rood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary