Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 02:19 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Research Triangle Park are the first 3 words of the article! But, does RTP have super set/rigid boundaries? To me, BioAgilytix is RTP - it's only 2 miles from RTP HQ and to get there you have to pass Rho, Frontier RTP, Hub RTP, etc etc. But if it's technically outside RTP boundaries then fair enough.

edit: I see what you mean - it's technically 500 feet outside Google Maps' RTP boundary. Close enough for me lol
Yeah, like I said adjacent to, but not in. RTP absolutely has set boundaries...it's a very specific parcel of land managed by the Research Triangle Foundation. It's also a special tax district that can not be annexed by any municipality.

The RTP mention in the article is the dateline showing where the story was filed from, but it's not mentioned in the article itself because BioAgilytix isn't in RTP and the expansion deal is entirely with Durham County, not RTP.

It's a minor issue, but I did want to point it out because this thread seemed to mainly be about RTP itself and there's no relationship other than proximity between BioAgilytix and RTP. I have no objection to discussing it as part of the broader RTP area though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 02:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Yeah, like I said adjacent to, but not in. RTP absolutely has set boundaries...it's a very specific parcel of land managed by the Research Triangle Foundation. It's also a special tax district that can not be annexed by any municipality.

The RTP mention in the article is the dateline showing where the story was filed from, but it's not mentioned in the article itself because BioAgilytix isn't in RTP and the expansion deal is entirely with Durham County, not RTP.

It's a minor issue, but I did want to point it out because this thread seemed to mainly be about RTP itself and there's no relationship other than proximity between BioAgilytix and RTP. I have no objection to discussing it as part of the broader RTP area though.
Fair enough though - for some reason I never considered that RTP had a very specific boundary and always kinda thought it was loosely defined as a general area where all the life science/tech companies are located. And I've worked in RTP for 6 years now haha (well...apparently not for the last 1.5 years )

Old 11-19-2020, 02:54 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Quote:
Fair enough though - for some reason I never considered that RTP had a very specific boundary and always kinda thought it was loosely defined as a general area where all the life science/tech companies are located. And I've worked in RTP for 6 years now haha (well...apparently not for the last 1.5 years )
Yes, its a defined entity with specific boundaries:

https://indyweek.com/news/archives/r...nges-50-years/

Old 11-19-2020, 04:47 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
All land inside RTP either is or was at one time owned by the Research Triangle Foundation, with one exception (Biogen). RTF has expanded the park numerous times, mainly southward. The office parks just outside RTP might be colloquially referred to as RTP, but they are subject to local government taxation and are not subject to the RTF restrictive covenants. Nor are their owners and tenants eligible to join the RTP Owners & Tenants Association.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:20 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
I agree with you. To get more detailed about boundaries and lines is just being nitpicky for the purposes of this conversation imo. When someone says RTP most people think like you do LH.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:27 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Maybe there are two “entities”. The Research Triangle, which includes the land between Duke, UNC, and NCState, and Research Triangle Park which is under the care of the RTPFoundation. Or maybe that’s my proposal.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:33 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I agree with you. To get more detailed about boundaries and lines is just being nitpicky for the purposes of this conversation imo. When someone says RTP most people think like you do LH.
I don't think it's particularly nitpicky since RTP proper is highly regulated in regard to how it can be developed which is definitely relevant to the conversation. Certainly at least worth mentioning. Maybe some people newer to the area aren't as familiar with the issue, but it's not an insignificant detail.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:59 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
It’s across a two-lane road from the RTP boundaries, correct? Most people who lived here a long time would say employees there work at the Park. Because most people aren’t overly concerned with the picayune nature of accounting and covenants. So while it is perhaps better to say they work spitting’ distance from the Park, it’s fine to call it the Park and clarify further if need be. Calling it simply Durham is one of those accurate but not precise things that old timers usually avoid.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:48 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It’s across a two-lane road from the RTP boundaries, correct? Most people who lived here a long time would say employees there work at the Park. Because most people aren’t overly concerned with the picayune nature of accounting and covenants. So while it is perhaps better to say they work spitting’ distance from the Park, it’s fine to call it the Park and clarify further if need be. Calling it simply Durham is one of those accurate but not precise things that old timers usually avoid.
Just to clarify, I wasn't implying people, be they long time residents or newcomers or somewhere in between, shouldn't/don't call areas near but outside RTP "RTP." But as far as development is concerned and how the land can be used and what can be in RTP and how the area might be able to adjust to changes brought on by the pandemic, it's worth noting the difference between RTP and the surrounding area. And someone did mention not even being aware of the issue which I assumed, rightly or wrongly, may have been just due to not having been in the area for a long time or maybe even just being too young to be familiar with the backstory. I'm not sure what you're getting at with the last sentence. People get oddly touchy here about these kinds of things.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 11-20-2020 at 08:56 AM..

Old 11-20-2020, 08:58 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
There is truth there. But circling back, this started because someone didn’t think the BioAgilytix news belonged on this thread. That feels like the very definition of nitpicky for a number of reasons. In a discussion forum, gerrymandering out which news goes where based on the story being on the wrong corner of an intersection feels silly. SFSpiderman was accurate, but I don’t think it was helpful in adding clarity.

Last edited by Heel82; 11-20-2020 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary