Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,222 times

Advertisements

Folks,

I am suppose to move to an apartment community in Durham that does not want their walls punctured. The book shelves that I purchased from IKEA in NY requires some anchoring to the wall to support the weight of the books and to make the shelf stable. I wanted to know if there is anywhere in the Raleigh/Durham area that I can pick up two decent book cabinet/shelves that are reasonably priced and requires no tethers to stabilize it ..... any idea folks? This way I would not have to carry these IKEA ones with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 AM

190 posts, read 575,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Folks,

I am suppose to move to an apartment community in Durham that does not want their walls punctured. The book shelves that I purchased from IKEA in NY requires some anchoring to the wall to support the weight of the books and to make the shelf stable. I wanted to know if there is anywhere in the Raleigh/Durham area that I can pick up two decent book cabinet/shelves that are reasonably priced and requires no tethers to stabilize it ..... any idea folks? This way I would not have to carry these IKEA ones with me.
Walmart? Target? I've picked up some nice, sturdy bookcases from both that don't require anchoring and hold up to 35 - 40 lbs per shelf. I don't think I've spent more than $29 on a single one of them, and a couple have been going strong for several years now. Stick with the wider, shorter bookcases and you should be golden. Oh, and of course arrange your books heaviest on the bottom few shelves. I bet you already know that, though.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:22 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Big Lots or craigslist.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Folks,

I am suppose to move to an apartment community in Durham that does not want their walls punctured.
How are you supposed to mount stuff to the walls, then? Some furniture would have safety issues without tethering or anti-tip devices. Seems that the apartment would be liable if there was injury due to their policy.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
See if there's some unfinished solid-wood stores around you. I've always found excellent bookcases and other furniture at those type of places. No veneers or particle board junk. Keep the height at 5 feet or less for stability.

Should be in your local yellow pages under "Furniture-Unfinished".

Old 05-04-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your assistance. Thanks

Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 PM

159 posts, read 608,920 times
My favorite unfinished furniture store in Durham is Rockwood Furniture on University Drive.

Another great place to look is Durham Bookcases and Other Cool Wood Stuff on Duke Street near the Brightleaf Square area.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
Even if I had a very sturdy bookcase, I'd want to anchor it if it was tall. I'd explain to the management that it was a safety issue and that I'd be willing to plaster and paint the holes when I moved.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Can they even say that legally? I mean w/kids that would be a huge liability to not be allowed to anchor anything. And what does that mean for pictures? You can't hang a single picture?!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Can they even say that legally? I mean w/kids that would be a huge liability to not be allowed to anchor anything. And what does that mean for pictures? You can't hang a single picture?!
Sorry guys, my wife just informed me that they mentioned not wanting to drill the walls after we mentioned getting an alarm system installed. Therefore, this may be just applicable to the drilling of their walls as it pertains to the company installing the alarm system. I will definitely will double check with them ... thanks for all your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary