Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 09:30 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,620,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks everybody for such quick (and unanimous) confirmation that my BS meter was still functioning at full throttle.

Now I have to figure out what budget Androids to buy. After all, this is a critical decision! These phones are our connection to civilization and take out food. They enable us to take an obnoxious number of photos of our new dog. We absolutely HAVE to receive those all important phone calls offering me a car warranty on the car I sold last year. We'd have a stroke if we couldn't check Amazon's lightening deals, track my UPS delivery to the minute, read email and facebook every 7 minutes, and reload the electoral college map every 60 seconds for the next two months. . .
If it's in your budget, the OnePlus phones are amazing for Android - you can probably find an older model out there like the 6T for $200-300 (on eBay/Amazon)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 10:19 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,559,052 times
A recent system upgrade gave me 5G service on my VZW phone this week. Speeds in my house are about the same as my house wifi - 100Mbps down, 20Mbps up. Home internet is 400down/20 up but bounced through a number of APs and a mesh system. 4G LTE speeds in a neighboring area (without 5G coverage) was about 25Mbps down/5 up

Old 11-07-2020, 12:04 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,785,646 times
Quote:
Save me hours of research, please. My LG android battery is dying its expected, slow death. The screen is less and less responsive. It's old and tired. So I'll be shopping for a new one, but definitely staying with T-Mobile.

Question: Is buying a phone that has 5G necessary? It looks like the bump in price is significant. For our purposes, 4G has NEVER been inadequate, even when we travel. And between Covid and age, I suspect our traveling will be considerably less in the next few years.

We're decidedly not into the latest and greatest bells and whistles. We replace our phones every 3-4 years. Always android simply because the i-phones have a high price tag.

ETA: I spoke with one sales rep who was trying to convince me that a phone that isn't 5G will not work in a few years because they will phase out 4G - like they have with 3G. That soundslike a sales pitch to convince me to pay for 5G when I may not need it. Which is why I'm asking the question here.
I recently switched to Boost mobile, so I'm now on the same network as you are. I was allowed to pick from 3 free phones. I took a Samsung A20. It's operating on LTE. Don't pay for 5G. Consider Boost mobile. They've been sold, but will be on the Tmobile/Sprint network for 7 years. You can always go back to Tmobile, at which time they will probably give you a deal to get you back.

2 deals in one.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:14 AM

19,465 posts, read 27,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I recently switched to Boost mobile, so I'm now on the same network as you are. I was allowed to pick from 3 free phones. I took a Samsung A20. It's operating on LTE. Don't pay for 5G. Consider Boost mobile. They've been sold, but will be on the Tmobile/Sprint network for 7 years. You can always go back to Tmobile, at which time they will probably give you a deal to get you back.

2 deals in one.
I looked at Boost, Mint, etc last year. Our 55+ Tmobile plan is two 4g lines, unlimited everything, international texting and data, for $60/month including taxes, fees, etc. We're grandfathered in, and It's hard to imagine doing better. (This plan is no longer available, but it's replacement for 55+ is pretty attractive.)

We also appreciate that they haven't snuck in a price increase in 6+ years (and no, I never had to call them) and they offer great discounts for military families.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:49 AM

4,291 posts, read 4,744,915 times
5G is a mess. It seeks to be all things to all people. The new features become available over a period of time, and each service provider has its own plan for when, where, and how to make the features available. Likewise, you have to be careful about the frequency coverage in your 5G smartphone and how it aligns with the new 5G frequencies illuminated where you'll be.

Plus, there is no standard definition of "5G". AT&T, in particular, has taken criticism for abusing the understanding of 5G.

In short, be very careful about what you buy, in terms of both the phone and the corresponding service. Maybe you will get something significantly better than 4G in the short run, maybe not. Or just defer 5G until for another year or two. Maybe things will have settled out by then.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:24 AM

5,912 posts, read 7,021,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Plus, there is no standard definition of "5G".
The folks at 3GPP would be surprised to hear that.
Where's BellCore when we need them ?

Old 11-07-2020, 11:54 AM

5,358 posts, read 3,251,822 times
Quote:
For our purposes, 4G has NEVER been inadequate, even when we travel. And between Covid and age, I suspect our traveling will be considerably less in the next few years.
There's your answer. All things being equal, get a 5G phone but if there's a significant markup, if what you have is fine, use that.

And don't get caught up in the 5G terminology - I got a new phone, 5G capable, and I was out for my walk in the middle of nowhere in Holly Springs and my phone displayed the 5G icon. There was no true 5G service here (I actually checked with the carrier) so even people who think they're getting 5G, aren't always getting it.

Is 5G coming, yes, but right now it's (mostly) just marketing.

Old 11-07-2020, 01:45 PM

4,291 posts, read 4,744,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The folks at 3GPP would be surprised to hear that.
Where's BellCore when we need them ?
Bellcore started out alright. Well, they were quirky and egotistical but they did get the job done. After they rebranded Telcordia, they jumped the shark and the industry began ignoring them outside the OSS market.

Which 3GPP release are you talking about - 14, 15, 16, or 17? All of them are 5G.

If you say "WiFi", everyone knows what you mean because it's a trademarked term of the WiFi-Alliance which is very specific about permissible and impermissible uses in the license agreement. There is no such control over "5G". Anyone can claim it and the only remedy is a court action that would drag on for years and accomplish nothing except paying lawyers. If AT&T were to say "our services are fully compliant with 3GPP R15 and here is our statement of what functions are available where", I'd be satisfied... but they ain't sayin' that.

Old 11-07-2020, 02:13 PM

3,322 posts, read 8,582,951 times
I buy a "new" phone on ebay once every 1-1.5 years. Make sure it's compatible with your carrier, or unlocked for any carrier. I just ordered an LGG7 (new - open box) for $139 on ebay. The phone looks like it's never been touched. For a 2018 model that was $650+ when it came out, that's a pretty nice deal. This way I ensure I get a decently up to date phone that is only 2 years old, never been used and I pay about 20% of original retail price.

I also have Total Wireless (Verizon service) and between my wife and I we get unlimited calling, text and 30gb of date to share for $58 a month for 2 lines. I've looked and that can't be beat, especially when you consider you have verizon service. Total Wireless also now lets to you use your phone as a hot spot.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:02 PM

197 posts, read 208,985 times
Shouldn't the question be "is 5G really widely available in our area to have a 5G phone worthwhile TODAY?" Can someone who uses a 5G phone comment on that?
Like someone said earlier more pressing issue is the 3G shutting down so having VoLTE capability is more important than 5G at the moment. My phone is working perfectly find but I'm looking to buy a new one for this reason. I don't know your budget but Google's Pixel line has solid camera (more like solid software) and they usually have a good sale during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Happy shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary