Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 04:50 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,460,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Save me hours of research, please. My LG android battery is dying its expected, slow death. The screen is less and less responsive. It's old and tired. So I'll be shopping for a new one, but definitely staying with T-Mobile.

Question: Is buying a phone that has 5G necessary? It looks like the bump in price is significant. For our purposes, 4G has NEVER been inadequate, even when we travel. And between Covid and age, I suspect our traveling will be considerably less in the next few years.

We're decidedly not into the latest and greatest bells and whistles. We replace our phones every 3-4 years. Always android simply because the i-phones have a high price tag.

ETA: I spoke with one sales rep who was trying to convince me that a phone that isn't 5G will not work in a few years because they will phase out 4G - like they have with 3G. That soundslike a sales pitch to convince me to pay for 5G when I may not need it. Which is why I'm asking the question here.
My view is this. 5G is best now when no one else is on it. Buy the new phone as soon as it comes out, so that you can be using bands that 90-95% of other subscribers can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I always go for last years higher end model (or even the year before last) at deep discount.
AT&T already has deals where subscribers can get the 5G iPhone for free. What else is there to discount?

Old 11-10-2020, 04:56 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,435,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
AT&T already has deals where subscribers can get the 5G iPhone for free. What else is there to discount?
NEW subscribers.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
NEW subscribers.
Add a line, port number, cancel old line. For years, people have been able to use each other's upgrades on family plans. So long as the line you are canceling has no contract, there can be no ETF.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:59 PM

19,465 posts, read 27,980,465 times
Quote:
Read my OP: I've no intention of changing my current carrier of T-Mobile. Later posts explain the obvious and solid financial reasons why.

So - whatever AT&T is doing is irrelevant. AND the phone isn't FREE. Read the small print.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,963,741 times
You can buy brand new iPhones of older models for under $200 and have Verizon's network through....

Total Wireless which keeps getting cheaper and better.

i pay $33 per month for 5 gigs of data on an iPhone SE 2016 model.

Everyone of you should go to Walmart and get 4 lines for $100 mo. with any carrier's network.

5G doesn't use big cell towers, but rather those little cylinders on top of poles at intersections. It only travels a couple of blocks so that why there's limited coverage now.

The iPhone 12 mini arrived in stores today and that's what i'm saving for.

iPhone 7s and 8s can be bought brand new under $200 with the budget carriers like Total Wireless, and all the others too.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:16 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,963,741 times
Quote:
My view is this. 5G is best now when no one else is on it. Buy the new phone as soon as it comes out, so that you can be using bands that 90-95% of other subscribers can't.
If you're within reach. As I understand it, Downtown Raleigh has the most coverage right now, but I don't know which carrier it's through, probably AT&T, I think Verizon's 5G is only in Charlotte right now.

They claim that 5G different spectrum is so capable that a lot of users at once wouldn't be something that would slow it down.

In fact, they think this will be enough to handle demand well into the future. The previous generations have done pretty well so far.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:48 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,620,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
You can buy brand new iPhones of older models for under $200 and have Verizon's network through....

Total Wireless which keeps getting cheaper and better.

i pay $33 per month for 5 gigs of data on an iPhone SE 2016 model.

Everyone of you should go to Walmart and get 4 lines for $100 mo. with any carrier's network.

5G doesn't use big cell towers, but rather those little cylinders on top of poles at intersections. It only travels a couple of blocks so that why there's limited coverage now.

The iPhone 12 mini arrived in stores today and that's what i'm saving for.

iPhone 7s and 8s can be bought brand new under $200 with the budget carriers like Total Wireless, and all the others too.
Visible is a great option for Verizon

Old 11-13-2020, 03:54 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,071,113 times
We have 5GLTE in Los Angeles. But with Coronavirus, nobody travels... so my phone is on the house Wifi 99.95% of the time.

Your choice of apps and what you do with the phone is the greatest determiniant of whether 5G will mean anything to you. There were times when I was in the parking lot of the mall, trying to get the movie times off fandango (you know... back in 2018) and the website would timeout and you would shake your fist at the sky.

My employer gives me a new phone every 2 years but my personal phone I bought 5+ years ago off eBay, rooted it and replaced the operating system with the latest and greatest (at the time) Android Pie. I couldn't tell you the difference between the 3 month old phone with 5G and the 5 year old phone with 4G, as an ordinary user.

I dont do silly things like download 4k full length movies to my SDCard while driving at 85mph down the interstate, but some people, I'm sure do. I'd pay +$50 for the newest flagship phone with 5G, but not +$500

Old 11-13-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
If you're within reach. As I understand it, Downtown Raleigh has the most coverage right now, but I don't know which carrier it's through, probably AT&T, I think Verizon's 5G is only in Charlotte right now.

They claim that 5G different spectrum is so capable that a lot of users at once wouldn't be something that would slow it down.

In fact, they think this will be enough to handle demand well into the future. The previous generations have done pretty well so far.
5G Nationwide "A rose by any other name" if the speed is there, so am I. I am not worrying too much about the pedigree of the underlying technology, or whether it's officially X or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary