U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 01:06 PM

54 posts, read 145,914 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Wake Forest/Rolesville but are concerned with the movement of children from one school to another. I have a daughter enetering the 8th grade and a son already in high school. How do you know where you child is going to attend school? When would we find out which high school they are going to attend? Once in high school, are those kids also moved around to different schools? Makes it difficult to make a decision when you spend so much time reviewing particular schools and have a chance of your child going elsewhere. Is this less prevelent in Holly Springs/Fuquay-Varina or is it the same throughout Wake County. Would really like to be close to Raleigh, but considering Chatham and/or Orange county as alternatives. I live in NC already so looking at all the possiblities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 01:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 24,127,905 times
At the age and grades your children are, redistricting is not so much of a concern. Your 8th grader won't be redistricted because they've already done it for next year and 8th grade would be her final year in middle school. So whatever the website says is your assignment for her, wou d be her assignment for all of 8th grade and then she would move to HS wherever your family is assigned the next year.

The schools rarely need to redistrict high school kids based on diversity because most high schools already cast a wide enough net to include students from all types of backgrounds. It is POSSIBLE that if a new school were to open up nearby to relieve overcrowding, your child could be redistricted once. The more likely scenario would be that your older son started HS at school A, and when your 8th grader went to HS, she could possibly be assigned to a different HS than your older student if a new school opened and needed to be filled.
A bit of research on new schools opening in the area should help answer that question for you though. In short, it *could* happen, but it's not anywhere near as likely as if your children were elementary school aged. I would personally only be worried about it if a new school in the immediate area was scheduled to open up the year your 8th grader went to HS (2010).

Old 05-04-2008, 01:52 PM

121 posts, read 369,147 times
It is best to get your answers from the Wake County Public School System. Go to wcpss.net and click on the newcomers/getting started tab. You can find all your answers from there. Ex- to find out where your child will attend school: Click on "understand how WCPSS assigns students to schools", then click "student assignment finder" and enter your address.

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:58 PM

351 posts, read 948,360 times
I'll take a stab at answering some of your questions

On the WCPSS website, there is a page which helps you determine your assigned school.
Determine School by Student Address (http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/cgi-bin/Production/MainScript.pl?MainOption=StreetMain - broken link)

Type in your address (or use an address from a home that is for sale) to see what school that home (and node) is assigned to.

Once you do that, you can research the school(s) and see which you prefer.

Reassignment seems to be an issue MUCH more at the elem level, and some middle school level, but it is pretty few-and-far-between at the high school level, and more often than not, only when a new HS opens and they need to fill it. So, if I were you, I would not be AS worried about the reassignment-merry-go-round as I would be if the kids were still in elementary school.

But, at the end of the day NO assignment in WCPSS is permanent, nor guaranteed, so, you still take SOME risk of being moved, no matter where you live or what you do. But as I said, in HS, it's really rare.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you to all who responded, I appreciate the information.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:52 PM

Default Neighborhoods in Wake Forest/Rolesville

Any recommended neighborhoods for people in the 40-50 years old age range. Would be nice to live near some people in similar age bracket.We
are finding that for the most part where we live now in NC, people had their children and very young ages. We have a 13,17, and 20 year old and looking for neighborhood where kids are a little older, any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking in Wake Forest/Rolesville,Hillsborough, or Holly Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary