Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 10,443 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

I have done a contract with [MOD] name removed [/MOD] for single family home some 4 months back and I have to close in next 3 days. We were given price protection from [MOD] name removed [/MOD] home when we signed the contract stating that if they reduce the base price , they will give me the current base price. After i signed the contract and during last month they start playing a gimmick instead of reducing that base price they would now offer incentive of$15000 off on options, and then came up with another deal ( like they two different floor plans like 1947 and 2198, and the difference in amount was about three thousands dollors and obviosuly everybody selected the 2198 model). They discontinued the 2198 and reduced the base price by 20,000 on other model. so that they don't have to give money back to customers. I am first time home buyer and when i came to know that I will be paying more the actual market price for my home. I don't see a reason to close. I went to [MOD] name removed [/MOD] they say the cannot do anything and asked me to back off and lose my earnest money. (as this is not one of the criteria for refunding the earnest money). I feel like they are trying to rip me off and i am helpless. SO please,pleasem suggest me something to get my earnest money back from [MOD] name removed [/MOD] .

Please give me suggestions

Thanks in advance for reading and providing suggestions
Anand

Last edited by autumngal; 05-05-2008 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: no consumer complaints as per the Terms of Service permitted

Old 05-05-2008, 11:47 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Yikes.
I have no clue on any suggestions to tell you. I'm afraid to say, you are not the only one thatModerator cut: name removed homes has done this to. I actually live near a Moderator cut: name removed homes and I hear the horror stories almost on a weekly basis. My heart goes out to you, that is such an unfortunate ordeal to go through.

I'm glad I personally did not buy with Moderator cut: name removed , but went with a more "honest" builder and I have been 100% happy that I did!

Good luck to you!

PS- I think if you do a search of Moderator cut: name removed on this forum, something might come up. I believe I read a similar situation not too long ago.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-05-2008 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 11:51 AM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I'd write them a very clear letter, outlining what you expect back, and exactly why you are dissatisfied, and copy it to the Better Business Bureau. I'd also let them know that you will seek legal remedies if they don't refund your earnest money.

I *almost* purchased a Moderator cut: name removed home and then started doing research on the builder and then ran in the other direction. Yikes.

Best of luck.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-05-2008 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 11:51 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
I would talk to a real estate lawyer. Are you using a buyers agent? Maybe they can recommend something?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 AM

52 posts, read 132,518 times
I always make sure not to happen such suprises to my clients when they buy. This is why you need to have a buyer agent who work EXCLUSIVELY for you, not for seller. The agent at builder's office working for seller, not for you. Moderator cut: TOS Violation

Last edited by autumngal; 05-05-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: no soliciting as per the TOS

Old 05-05-2008, 12:14 PM

Hi Thomas,
I already have a buyers agent and he is working with me on this issue, but as he says that he does't see any way of getting the earnest money back.
Thanks to all of you for replies and suggestions. I would love to more suggestions. I just want to get the money back without any legal hassels, i don't know the consequnecs i have to face if i get alegal route.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
You're not going to be able to get your earnest money back. It's the same as if the market value went up, they couldn't get more money from you(well, you wouldn't give it to them). You have a contract with an agreed upon price.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM

Well, I do understand that i would not given them the money abck to them do you think after they give me the price protection, they are fair on their part. I don't think they should penalise me for signing the contract with them

Old 05-05-2008, 12:56 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
I don't think legally there's much you can do. I do think that they might negotiate a little depending on how much of a deposit you put down and how likely it isModerator cut: name removed could quickly resell the house at a price close to your contract price. So, if you put $20k down and they think they could sell it pretty quickly for within $15k of what your contract price was, they might tell you to get lost, but if you only have $5k down and they think it might take a while to get it sold and the new contract price might be significantly less than what you were paying, then they might have more reason to try to keep you happy. I know in our neighborhood, inventory homes generally sold at a significant discount (up to 15%) and that was in a much healthier market. Use some game theory and base your move on what their strongest move is.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-05-2008 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
That stinks, but they could afford a long protracted court case and you would be out way more than what you are seeking. They of course know this which is why they are not worried at all. I imagine they left themselves some wriggle room in the contract (even if you don't see it that way) so they could do things like this.

Your best bet is probably to just close as expected, look at it like you were willing to pay that before and now you are a getting the house for the same price, plus some extras, and enjoy the home. Don't dwell on it--it will only cause you aggravation but no amends.

In time, prices will go back up anyway. You can't ever guarantee you'll get in at the lowest price on ANY home. The people who bought our last house from us would be out many thousands if they tried to sell right now. It's just the way the market works..

ps--make sure you can 100% prove that the base price has gone down if you do decide to pursue this. Are they selling the exact same model (even if under another name) for less than they sold to you? If not, I don't see how you would have much to stand on. Even if they have reduced the base price, they have big corporate wheels and a battle would not come out well for you.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary