Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,225 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Raleigh within the next 2 months and was hoping for suggestions on where to live.

I am a young professional and I am looking to rent a fairly new apartment or townhouse in a lively area with restaurants and bars and where other young professionals might live or I guess even college students since I'm still in that age range. Also I am looking to keep my rent around $1000/month give or take. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:59 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,416 times
Do you know where you will be working? That might be a factor.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,225 times
I will be working from home....location does not matter.....except that airport needs to be somewhat easy to get to.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:11 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,416 times
If you prefer a more suburban environment and an apartment with lots of community amenities (such as pools and weight rooms), there are tons of apartments and townhomes in North Raleigh that fit your description. There are young professionals in just about all of these areas due to the rental aspect, plus a mix of everybody else. If this were what I was looking for, I'd look in the Lake Lynn area, Duraleigh Rd area, around Crabtree Valley Mall and North Hills mall.

If you prefer a more urban environment that includes shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance, look Inside the Beltline (ITB) in areas such as Five Points, Cameron Village, Glenwood South, Boylan Heights, Mordecai, and Historic Oakwood. Most of the rentals ITB are going to be older, and in well established neighborhoods. You can find a more modern apartment at Oberlin Court, but the rents seem to run pretty high IMO. I am a young professional, and I live in this area and like the walkability aspect.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 PM

52 posts, read 132,487 times
Brier Creek is a good area to consider, with its class and closeness to RDU airport. Another area will be Morrisville or Southpoint.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:58 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,036 times
Chapel Hill
Downtown Durham/Duke area

Both will have urban-ish influences and college influence from nearby UNC and Duke.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
If you prefer a more suburban environment and an apartment with lots of community amenities (such as pools and weight rooms), there are tons of apartments and townhomes in North Raleigh that fit your description. There are young professionals in just about all of these areas due to the rental aspect, plus a mix of everybody else. If this were what I was looking for, I'd look in the Lake Lynn area, Duraleigh Rd area, around Crabtree Valley Mall and North Hills mall.

If you prefer a more urban environment that includes shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance, look Inside the Beltline (ITB) in areas such as Five Points, Cameron Village, Glenwood South, Boylan Heights, Mordecai, and Historic Oakwood. Most of the rentals ITB are going to be older, and in well established neighborhoods. You can find a more modern apartment at Oberlin Court, but the rents seem to run pretty high IMO. I am a young professional, and I live in this area and like the walkability aspect.
I'd second the recommendation of ITB neighborhoods in Raleigh.
Oberlin Court is a good option that is walkable to Cameron Village but is a stretch to walk to Glenwood South where most of your nightlife will end up taking place. The collection of apartments and condos in the "Bishops Park" area is a better location for walking to both Cameron Village and Glenwood South but the apartments and condos that one can rent are 20 years old (but nice nonetheless). Another option is the urban apartment complex under construction on Tucker St. and Boylan Ave. It's just behind all the action of Glenwood South but still walkable to Cameron Village. The only problem with this option is that it's under construction and won't be ready when you arrive in town. If you can find something temporary for a year, it might be worth waiting for the Tucker project. Also, there are some condos that are opening in the coming months and there might be some investors looking to rent individual units. Finally, you can also peruse craigslist, ciculars or online circulars in the area to seek out some other urban options.
Good luck!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 19,138 times
Glenwood South, Cameron Village, and Mordecai are going to be the best bet. I would dare say in that order. If you are looking for an apartment, townhouse, or condo to rent, those are the best areas to check out. The Cotton Mill is sort of in between all of those, very nice, but lacks the walkability of the other neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary