Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 11:11 AM

10 posts, read 10,593 times

Advertisements

Has there ever been serious discussion, considering the rapid growth of this area, of merging Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Garner into Raleigh City? And allowing them to remain boroughs with semi-independent borough leadership for managing some things independent of City? I saw there was talk a long time ago about Morrisville and Cary.

The idea that Raleigh is "only" a city of 470k people is a bit absurd considering Cary has 170k alone, making it the second largest "town" in the U.S. by population (after Scottsdale, AZ). Wake county is 1.1M (includes other municipalities and county only areas, of course). I believe the outsider's view is that we're a small city when they only look at Raleigh population alone. Merging any of Durham in doesn't seem feasible, but some of the Wake municipalities and unincorporated "Raleigh" certainly could make sense, and push the city's population to over 700 or 800k plus whatever the relevant unincorporated areas include (~200k?). Would this give Raleigh a better position when being considered for various corporate and other bids, being top 15-20 versus #41? Charlotte has 880k, consumes most of Mecklenburg, and at 310sq mi is more than double Raleigh's square mileage in territory. Even after a hypothetical merger of CMAG, Raleigh would still "only" be about 250-255 sq mi plus unincorporated areas. (Adding Knightdale and Holly Springs would only add 25 sq mi and 35k more people).

There's been considerable development in each of these towns and they do have some unique identity that would need to be protected; they've developed amenities and features that make them all desirable in their own right (hence the borough idea). But regionally we don't get credit for Raleigh-Durham being 1.5 million people in the two counties alone. This could be one way to change that.

Assuming we want the additional development (which seems like it's coming either way - might as well get the best of it). This isn't without precedent either. Probably not something most people would want, but would be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 11:55 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
I don't understand the purpose of this at all. Corporations looking at Raleigh understand what it is and won't be fooled by higher numbers created by additional sprawl I don't think.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:00 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,982,730 times
No thank you. I don't think Raleigh is perceived as smaller than cities that are really of similar size but which consolidated with their county/suburbs like Jacksonville and Indianapolis.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:02 PM

773 posts, read 644,971 times
How much better could Wake County do relative to economic development and growth? Its already exploding. I don't see what the problem is that this would fix.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwynor View Post
Has there ever been serious discussion, considering the rapid growth of this area, of merging Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Garner into Raleigh City? And allowing them to remain boroughs with semi-independent borough leadership for managing some things independent of City? I saw there was talk a long time ago about Morrisville and Cary.
Let me guess--you're a recent arrival from New York who wants to turn everywhere else into the city you left?

This area is what it is--almost every metro area in the US has several smaller towns swallowed up by as growing exurbs. This is actually a much more common occurrence than "boroughs". Let this city be the way it was long before you got here, or move to somewhere that has "boroughs" if you can't live without them .

Old 12-10-2020, 12:38 PM

Francois: Not from New York, and your response isn't very friendly. Why not let me turn it back on you -- if you can't handle change and people with different ideas, why not stay off forums where people discuss ideas?

To the others - I guess I'm reacting mostly to news stories, marinating on it a bit and wish I had saved some links, that called out Charlotte for being substantially larger than Raleigh w/r/t the MLS decision. I know a lot of it was chasing NFL money, but it seemed odd to me that they didn't realize the two metro areas are nearly the same in population. Also happened similarly during the Amazon and Apple decisions (not that I am disappointed they passed).

Old 12-10-2020, 12:41 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
Francois: Not from New York, and your response isn't very friendly. Why not let me turn it back on you -- if you can't handle change and people with different ideas, why not stay off forums where people discuss ideas?

To the others - I guess I'm reacting mostly to news stories, marinating on it a bit and wish I had saved some links, that called out Charlotte for being substantially larger than Raleigh w/r/t the MLS decision. I know a lot of it was chasing NFL money, but it seemed odd to me that they didn't realize the two metro areas are nearly the same in population. Also happened similarly during the Amazon and Apple decisions (not that I am disappointed they passed).
I'm pretty sure the NFL is smart enough to understand the differences between Charlotte and Raleigh, which is why they chose Charlotte. Adding suburban sprawl doesn't change that.

I think Raleigh is great the way it is. Why pretend it's something it's not? If anything we should be going the other direction - like busting up the WCPSS.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:43 PM

888 posts, read 804,793 times
No thanks keep the covid and burrows

Old 12-10-2020, 12:46 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:

I think MSA and CMSA population and demographics get more focus from corporate folks than urban city population.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:15 PM

Ah, that's a good point. They'd see what I want them to see with those. Was just a head-scratcher for me why they focused on city sizes when it's obvious that our two biggest metro areas are similar in size.

m378: Don't get me started on WCPSS... That can fill a thread or two!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary