Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 12:57 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Hate to play the "you should see it up north" card, but we lost power in the winter for a week+ on multiple occasions. One memorable time we stayed in the house for the entire period because we were stubborn and didn't want to bother our parents with us and our dog and cat. It was in the 40's in the house and we had about 5200 candles lit. We wore jackets to bed it was crazy. Good times.
Yeah you shouldn't play that "you should see it up north card" because that can happen here in the winter too. It ain't pretty here either.

I much prefer a hurricane power outage. At least it's warm then. Suck for the food in the fridge, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 01:00 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yeah you shouldn't play that "you should see it up north card" because that can happen here in the winter too. It ain't pretty here either.

I much prefer a hurricane power outage. At least it's warm then. Suck for the food in the fridge, though.
Having suffered through many power outages post hurricanes, it is miserable when the temperature is in the 90s.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:37 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
At least in the summer you can leave and go to a hotel or something and not worry about your pipes freezing.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Having suffered through many power outages post hurricanes, it is miserable when the temperature is in the 90s.
Much more miserable when it's 40 in your house. Ask me how I know. BTDT both ways.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Sure it *could* happen, but you're not seeing temps under freezing for many days in a row here.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:09 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
I've endured extended power outages after/during a hurricane (Fran) and an ice storm (2002?). Both times, we were without power for over a week. I can't say which is worst; freezing or hot. Both are terrible.

Now we have a whole house standby generator waiting to go to work if necessary. For the sake of others, I hope it doesn't need to crank up. But if there is an outage, we will be perfectly fine even if the rest of our part of the town is without power.

People scoffed (in another thread) about how expensive they are and why the need for one. Now is the time. I feel secure.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Sure it *could* happen, but you're not seeing temps under freezing for many days in a row here.
Not at the moment, but it can and does happen and somewhere I have the photos of frozen soap bubbles to prove it! But no, of course we don't have the sustained cold temps that more northern places do. It can get downright uncomfortable here if the power goes out in the winter, though.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
I've endured extended power outages after/during a hurricane (Fran) and an ice storm (2002?). Both times, we were without power for over a week. I can't say which is worst; freezing or hot. Both are terrible.
Oh Fran was bad bad bad, but I much preferred that time of year to have a power outage. I think our road was impassable for 10 days and no power for the duration of that, but you could walk places that did have power and the weather really didn't bother me. Cold weather sucks.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:18 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
People scoffed (in another thread) about how expensive they are and why the need for one. Now is the time. I feel secure.
Have been thinking about getting one. Have started to grow tired of Apex power blips that aren't even storm related. Wish they would bury more lines, especially in the older neighborhoods.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:11 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
When we have an extended power outage, I just find the nearest hotel with power and a vacancy. It happens so rarely, and is much cheaper than a whole house generator for something that occurs once a dcecade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary