Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM

655 posts, read 916,826 times

Advertisements

Many here are playing attorney on this topic and that is fine, but think for a minute....You're the neighbor! Would you really want a family with 5 kids cramming into the apartment next door? Be honest. If you have 5 kids, you had them, not me, why should I be forced to deal with that? Again, be honest. If I had five kids I would look for a place with some space. Get out in the country a little where the kids have some room. Trying to cram 3 kids per bedroom in a duplex, apartment, or townhome is a recipe for disaster. Buy or rent a home, even if it is small and older for the same price, but with some land.

Sorry if I sound rude, I'm not trying to be. I'm just being honest. kids are kids and they are going to do as kids do. They are going to want to play, be loud, run, jump, be wild, scream and yell and fight with their brother and sisters. Your neighbors will be looking for peace and quiet. Trust me on this. Get yourself some space where everyone can be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:54 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Our complex limit is 2 adults + 1 baby per bedroom. You don't need to leave if your family grows after you lease the apt.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:21 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Many here are playing attorney on this topic and that is fine, but think for a minute....You're the neighbor! Would you really want a family with 5 kids cramming into the apartment next door? Be honest. If you have 5 kids, you had them, not me, why should I be forced to deal with that? Again, be honest. If I had five kids I would look for a place with some space. Get out in the country a little where the kids have some room. Trying to cram 3 kids per bedroom in a duplex, apartment, or townhome is a recipe for disaster. Buy or rent a home, even if it is small and older for the same price, but with some land.

Sorry if I sound rude, I'm not trying to be. I'm just being honest. kids are kids and they are going to do as kids do. They are going to want to play, be loud, run, jump, be wild, scream and yell and fight with their brother and sisters. Your neighbors will be looking for peace and quiet. Trust me on this. Get yourself some space where everyone can be happy.
It really depends on the size of the unit as apartment/townhouse size varies greatly and another biggie nobody talks about and that is how thick the walls are. Lack of wall/ceiling thickness is more of a problem because when you have thin walls/ceilings the slightest sounds and movement can be heard and felt by your neighbor whether they have kids or not. Older apts tend to have better thickness than the fancy new ones with all the trimmings. Just because a family has 5 kids doesn't mean that they automatically will be tearing the house down. This is a bad stereotype. I know some families with several kids that are much better behaved than one teenager with a stereo.

Now I have three kids in a two bedroom of a townhouse. It is 1085 sf. Honestly, the size isn't the problem and they aren't crammed. And no, I don't have a problem at all with my neighbors next door and their three young kids. I NEVER hear them. More than likely they heard ds when he was going through his 'I can't sleep without nursing stage', but that's beside the point. The three BR houses we're looking at now are about if not the same sf as our 2 br now, so to say that you have to get a bigger br house with a yard doesn't necessarily translate into more space in the house .

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times
Quote:

I've seen plenty of instances where two people living in a two-bedroom apartment are louder than a family living in the same building. Say, recent college grads!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Quote:

Well, I don't think you're being rude, but I do think you are being a tad ignorant.

My family is not 'crammed' into the 1450 sf apartment-which is bigger than the house we owned when we had the kids-my home is tidy and organized. Our family works together to keep up with our home and make it a calm, peaceful environment. We have not had a single complaint from any neighbors in the time we've been here. My children are instructed on good manners and behavior and are expected to display that. I don't see how there being 5 of them should be any different than if there were 2.

The suggestion to go rent a house with a yard is a good one-however, in my experience, if someone is looking to rent a apartment with a big family, it is probably because they are either moving again soon (perhaps house hunting) or simply cannot find one (that is what happened to us here as we await our move to Raleigh). It's a hard enough situation, then add on having to cope with discrimination based on family size.

As a mother of a large family, I do not appreciate us being judged on stereotypes that are not universal or accurate. You may have a large family living close by and not even know it, because they are calmly living their life.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I would rather live next door to a family with 5 children than one out-of-control-barking dog.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:38 AM

Depends on the kids and the dog.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:54 PM

135 posts, read 412,632 times
U.S. Dept of Housing and Urban Development states it is illegal for someone to advertise a rental that limits occupancy that doesn't fit in the HUD guidelines. States and even cities have some of their own regulations but NC follows federal regulations of 'two per room plus one'. for ex. that means 3 people allowed in in a one bedroom, right?
It also says it's illegal for landords to advertise rentals not allowing children or to discrimainate against families with children unless it's a 55+ community. I was suprised by his because I found several small houses on craigslist that stated, " max: one person (in a 1bd.) or max: two adults no children or pets"( 2bd.)

Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl75 View Post
U.S. Dept of Housing and Urban Development states it is illegal for someone to advertise a rental that limits occupancy that doesn't fit in the HUD guidelines. States and even cities have some of their own regulations but NC follows federal regulations of 'two per room plus one'. for ex. that means 3 people allowed in in a one bedroom, right?
It also says it's illegal for landords to advertise rentals not allowing children or to discrimainate against families with children unless it's a 55+ community. I was suprised by his because I found several small houses on craigslist that stated, " max: one person (in a 1bd.) or max: two adults no children or pets"( 2bd.)
Two adults and 1 baby allowed in our place.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:53 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
mountaingirl75, I am not involved in the real estate business in NC, but had a license in FL and own a home there that is rented out. Basically, single (private) owners don't have to adhere to certain guidelines like ADA compliance. I think it's still illegal to discriminate otherwise. In fact, as I understood it, my ability to choose one rental applicant over another was pretty much limited to credit and background checks, and pets. Things are just a little different in certain states with regard to individual owners. But some things, like racial discrimination, are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary