Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:25 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times

Advertisements

Parents still have a lot of options if they don't like the YR assignments. They can either send their kids to private school, home educate them, or move to another district. It's not complicated.

The sole obligation of a public school system is to take whatever resources it has and create the best learning environment for the children it serves. Whether that's convenient for parents or not is immaterial. This court ruling wisely upholds that notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 01:30 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Parents still have a lot of options if they don't like the YR assignments. They can either send their kids to private school, home educate them, or move to another district. It's not complicated.

The sole obligation of a public school system is to take whatever resources it has and create the best learning environment for the children it serves. Whether that's convenient for parents or not is immaterial. This court ruling wisely upholds that notion.
The problem is there's no evidence WCPSS is creating the best learning environment for the children it serves. In their eye's, the outcome can't be bad because the intention was good. There are IMO many children that WCPSS fails to adequately serve.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:40 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
I know I'm an outsider but have been following this issue closely. I never had an issue with the concept of YR (except in the case of having HS/ES age kids but that will happen to everyone at some point). It was the "social experiment" wrapped up inside the overcrowding issue that I had a problem wrapping my head around.

Also, the YR systems that I do know of (most of them in CA): EVERYONE is on YR --HS, MS and ES. It's basically the 180 day school calendar spread out over the entire year with one track: 9 weeks on/3 weeks off until the summer when there is a 6 week break. Until I started investigating YR schools, I always thought that *was* YR. Now I realize they can do it a lot of different ways.

Still, I don't have an issue with the YR concept. It's how it's put into effect in Wake Co that has me uneasy.

It will be interesting to see what happens now.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
The problem is there's no evidence WCPSS is creating the best learning environment for the children it serves. In their eye's, the outcome can't be bad because the intention was good. There are IMO many children that WCPSS fails to adequately serve.
I agree that a lot of school districts in this country are definitely failing children, and perhaps WCPSS is one of them. I don't know, as my daughter doesn't attend there (although she might if we move to Raleigh for my wife's job).

At any rate, nobody has come up with any sound arguments as to why YR school is worse than traditional. And if getting rid of the opt-out makes for a better use of resources, then I really don't see what the problem is.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I agree that a lot of school districts in this country are definitely failing children, and perhaps WCPSS is one of them. I don't know, as my daughter doesn't attend there (although she might if we move to Raleigh for my wife's job).

At any rate, nobody has come up with any sound arguments as to why YR school is worse than traditional. And if getting rid of the opt-out makes for a better use of resources, then I really don't see what the problem is.
I agree and I was probably OT because I wasn't specifically talking about the year round issue, but more the reassignment philosophy. I think YR is probably better for most kids, but I agree with many of the other posters that having some kids YR and other traditional has put a burden on many families. It seems to me that it's time to stop straddling the fence.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:56 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
We will be one of those families with one in traditional HS and one in YR middle school. I think we'll be fine and we'll make it work.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:00 PM

186 posts, read 659,425 times
Default One Happy Camper Here

As a teacher hoping for a job at a year-round school, I couldn't be happier! Sorry for everyone else but I've seen the ten-week burn out on both sides and I'm happy to have more opportunities to work year-round.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:04 PM

28 posts, read 113,809 times
Default year round

Okay, we are possibly moving down this summer and I was very concerned when I heard about the court ruling, mainly b/c I would like an option. I want an option out of year round not b/c I only want traditional, but b/c I have an older child who is going in middle school and I do not want to have my two children on two different schedules. I think a solution to that problem, which faces/concerns many people, isn't switching the upper level schools to year round, but just guaranteeing those students with older siblings a track that is the closest to traditional. But from everything that I have read, they don't do that....if I was told that my dd could be on whatever track it is that is the closest to traditional, start date & end date, etc, then I would have absolutely no problem with going to a year round calendar for all of the elementary schools. I actually think year round is a great idea and think that my dd would do really well with it and would like the idea of less redistricting except for a newly built school or something.

That is just my two cents, for what it is worth with inflation

Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
as i'm not going to be in school or be a teacher, i guess i don't care THAT much, but i have to ask... WHY on earth would people want year-round schooling? like, what is the argument people make in favor of it?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
as i'm not going to be in school or be a teacher, i guess i don't care THAT much, but i have to ask... WHY on earth would people want year-round schooling? like, what is the argument people make in favor of it?
As a parent, I would have loved to have my children in year round. Summers here are hot. It's tough to find something to keep children happy for three months. Also, since there's no three month summer vacation there is less need for review when they start the next grade. Also, you get breaks at different times than most people with children so you can do vacations off peak when it's not so busy and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary