Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 07:08 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times

Advertisements

(PLEASE don't turn this into a pro or con vaccine thread, or a political commentary. Thank you.)

I've read the phases planned for distribution in NC and found the information about which conditions define a high risk, chronic condition. DH is high risk - age and COPD, and should be in Phase 1b.

I cannot find any information on how they are discovering and confirming that information - especially the chronic conditions.

Because of HIPPA, the 'powers that be' won't have access to medical records. Getting a doctors note will be extremely burdensome, slow the whole process down and be rife with fraud.

Come to think of it, how will they alert you that your number is up, go get vaccinated?

(This may be in the wrong forum, but since the states are handling vaccine distribution, I thought I'd keep it local. Moderators - please move if you think it's better elsewhere.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 07:15 AM

773 posts, read 646,720 times
I believe in most cases the vaccine will be administered in your doctor's office (or a hospital your doctor is affiliated with) who obviously have your health record. I know mine is already placing patients names on a list so that when "your" group comes up you'll have a place in line, so to speak.

If its done at a pharmacy, I assume you'll need some sort of prescription from your doctor's office.

Last edited by Royal James; 12-19-2020 at 07:35 AM..

Old 12-19-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
I believe in most cases the vaccine will be administered in your doctor's office who obviously have your health record. I know mine is already placing patients names on a list so that when "your" group comes up you'll have a place in line, so to speak.
I wondered about that. But how does CVS, Walgreens, etc get into this? Are they just going to innoculculate the LTC populations and tge "general public" in phase 4?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...6pa-story.html

Old 12-19-2020, 07:40 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I wondered about that. But how does CVS, Walgreens, etc get into this? Are they just going to innoculculate the LTC populations and tge "general public" in phase 4?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...6pa-story.html

They are ONLY involved in vaccinating the nursing homes right now. If you go to either store or call, you'll see/hear a message that they are NOT vaccinating the general public right now.

I would expect you'd hear from your doctor when your "number" comes up. Or they might be a good resource to ask (they may not have an answer but they should be trying to get the info).

Old 12-19-2020, 08:02 AM

333 posts, read 287,395 times
From the best document I could find (because I had a similar concern), this may be done by self-identification. This is from the draft NC distribution plan (I didn't find the final). See page 72, right-hand column.

https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents...ve-Summary.pdf

Old 12-19-2020, 08:17 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
.....I've read the phases planned for distribution in NC and found the information about which conditions define a high risk, chronic condition. DH is high risk - age and COPD, and should be in Phase 1b.

I cannot find any information on how they are discovering and confirming that information - especially the chronic conditions.
MY DH is in the same situation. He has printed out his doctor and hospital visit receipts which have diagnosis on them, and his pharmacy receipts. His Medicare card would prove at least that he is over 65. He has also registered with all the hospital portals where a vaccine might arrive. Even the VA Hospital in Fayetteville which is 110 miles away from us. He is willing to drive there and wait in a car!

It is still big question how he would be notified. He read one place that said "honor system" for proving chronic conditions, but I hope that is not true.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:21 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
From the best document I could find (because I had a similar concern), this may be done by self-identification. This is from the draft NC distribution plan (I didn't find the final). See page 72, right-hand column.

https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents...ve-Summary.pdf
Thank you for the reference!

Old 12-19-2020, 08:26 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
I've wondered this, too. Didn't read your posted link, sorry, I will later. But we are healthy octogenarians and never go to the doctor. So how do the people in charge find out about us? We thought about just wandering down to the local CVS and asking about it. Maybe we will do that. We are in Florida.

Sorry I just noticed that this is a local area thread. I think it's a good one, though, haha. I'm sure people all over will be wondering the same thing.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:42 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
I spoke to my doctor about this just a few days ago. Easy answer ... it will require a prescription.

Just like you can't walk into CVS and ask for oxycodone, you won't be able to walk into CVS and ask for a vaccine. At least not in the initial phases. When it's available to the general public, the prescription requirement will be lifted.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I spoke to my doctor about this just a few days ago. Easy answer ... it will require a prescription.

Just like you can't walk into CVS and ask for oxycodone, you won't be able to walk into CVS and ask for a vaccine. At least not in the initial phases. When it's available to the general public, the prescription requirement will be lifted.
Good answer, I guess. The doctor's offices will be buried with this. I hope it doesn't affect the already extended delays in getting an appointment with a doctor. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary