Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 08:59 AM

29 posts, read 19,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjreyes09 View Post
The housing market in Miami is crazy, they want $300k for a townhome thats 10 plus years old.
Me: Housing in Miami is fairly cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 07:47 PM

781 posts, read 743,426 times
And remember there is state income tax here! This is also a completely different atmosphere than Miami-Dade/Broward...thank god!

Old 01-20-2021, 07:41 AM

13 posts, read 6,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't think it's as "cheap" as you think it is. Housing costs are probably more than you'll be expecting. Some (many?) would say that the two areas you've mentioned - FB and Clayton - are kinda the outskirts of The Triangle.

Not knowing where you will be working makes it a big risk to buy. Find the job before finding housing, IIMHO. Renting for awhile is a huge safety net.
Remember that NC charges income tax. Florida dies not.

Thanks for the response. Yes, renting at first is a must and the housing market in Miami is way more than the Triangle area, that is a fact! LOL

Old 01-20-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I split time between Miami and Raleigh, I think that I can be of assistance if you want to private message me. As for prices, while Raleigh is getting more expensive, there's still more value in housing, and options for budget friendly options than there are in MiamiDade.

Thanks for the reply.
Are you a realtor? yes, the housing market in Miami Dade is nuts. I purchased a townhome in 2011 that now is worth double, almost triple from my purchase price.

I think its time for a change, especially with a family.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Yes but at least Miami has several mass transit systems available where Raleigh has none.

Traffic is horrible in Miami.
I can care less for transit systems. I've been driving 1-1.5 hrs each way to work for the past 16 years.
I am use to a little drive but don't' care for public trans.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:46 AM

11 posts, read 8,481 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Are you a realtor? yes, the housing market in Miami Dade is nuts. I purchased a townhome in 2011 that now is worth double, almost triple from my purchase price.

I think its time for a change, especially with a family.
One of the reasons we moved up here is because we didn't want to raise our children in Miami. We also wanted a better lifestyle and living in Miami we couldn't afford that.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterMir View Post
MsJReyes09,
I relocated from Pembroke Pines 14 years ago. I grew up in Hialeah and played baseball throughout South FL. We moved when our oldest was 4 and our second was 6 months old. It took me a year to find work in NC but we don't regret the move at all. Our family is still in South FL and some have moved to the North Orlando area so we make the drive every year.

We live in Clayton and yes it's more affordable than some areas in Raleigh (Wake County). I will say that home values here are much better than in South FL and you do get more for your $. My parents still live in the home I lived in when I went to HS. It's crazy that it's worth $300k when they bought it for $88k. A home that's less than 1500 sqft.
Clayton is in Johnston County not Wake. Our crazy commute (26 miles) is 45-60 minutes to downtown Raleigh during rush hour. Compare that to So. FL and you could be driving double the time.

Send me a direct message if you like more information any time. I love to help you but I do recommend you visit at least a weekend to get a feel for the area if you've never been here.

Hi, Thanks for much for the reply.

I currently live SW of Country Walk/ Miami Zoo area and I work in Coral Gables.
I've been use to the 1-1.5 hours of commute for years now LOL
Miami traffic is horrible!!!!
We have friends that just purchased a home in Fuquay and they actually moved from Aventura. They are in love with NC and we've visited several times.

Yes, my home was purchased in 2011 and now worth double to triple the amount I purchased it for. LOL the market here is insane.

Our goal is to first for my husband to find a job and then I can take it from there, since we have a small toddler.

We do want to rent first just to make sure we like the areas and so on.

I love the Cary area but yes, its expensive and I think the market in FV is a bit more affordable.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustoCoppi View Post
Me: Housing in Miami is fairly cheap!

It use to be cheap! things have changed and the prices don't go down.

I purchased my home in 2011 and now its worth 3 times more than what I paid for.

Its crazy!

For $300 you get a fixer upper in a not so great neighborhood.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
And remember there is state income tax here! This is also a completely different atmosphere than Miami-Dade/Broward...thank god!

Thanks for the reply. Are you originally from Miami? Are you happy in NC?

Old 01-20-2021, 07:58 AM

11 posts, read 8,481 times
Quote:
Hi, Thanks for much for the reply.

I currently live SW of Country Walk/ Miami Zoo area and I work in Coral Gables.
I've been use to the 1-1.5 hours of commute for years now LOL
Miami traffic is horrible!!!!
We have friends that just purchased a home in Fuquay and they actually moved from Aventura. They are in love with NC and we've visited several times.

Yes, my home was purchased in 2011 and now worth double to triple the amount I purchased it for. LOL the market here is insane.

Our goal is to first for my husband to find a job and then I can take it from there, since we have a small toddler.

We do want to rent first just to make sure we like the areas and so on.

I love the Cary area but yes, its expensive and I think the market in FV is a bit more affordable.
Cary has a good reputation, it was listed as one of the best places to work and live back a few years ago. A lot of people living there are from NY or FL but more from the north. FV is a growing little town with rising home prices and lots of new things making it very attractive to everyone. Both of these towms are in Wake County. Clayton is in Johnston County and 30-40 minutes to Raleigh. Probably the same amount of time from FV. They are currently working on the outer loop (Hwy 540) around Raleigh if you look at a map. This last part will help the southeast part of Raleigh grow more.
Depending on where your husband finds work will probably guide you towards where you want to live. Being latino there are towns that have a higher population than others. This site has great data on demographics that can help you choose where you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary