Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 05:14 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times

Advertisements

Raleigh’s mayor is not only having city employees work from home on Wednesday – she is urging citizens to stay away from downtown on Inauguration Day. Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin said all employees will be telecommuting on Wednesday and that move was made out of an abundance of caution. She’s also encouraging people to avoid downtown.

“I think it would be a good idea for people to stay away from downtown, especially the Capitol area, on Wednesday.”

Wake County offices located in downtown Raleigh will close in response to potential security issues tied to the inauguration. The offices will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday, Wake County officials confirm. Offices were already closed on Monday due to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

County Manager David Ellis sent a note to county employees said the move was made out of an “abundance of caution.” "I’m closing all county offices near the State Capital (sic) in downtown Raleigh to the public and our non-public safety employees,” Ellis wrote.

Due to the heightened security risk next week, a spokesperson for the North Carolina Democratic Party said the first floor windows of their office building in Raleigh have been boarded up. NCDP said they are also contracting Raleigh police to provide additional security.

Earlier this week, Gov. Roy Cooper mobilized about 550 National Guard personnel on Wednesday. Approximately 350 will help in Raleigh while the rest will go to Washington to assist with the inaugural events.

An FBI bulletin earlier this week warned of armed protests in all 50 state capitols as well as Washington in the days ahead. Following the attack at the U.S. Capitol, Cooper said dozens of states are sending personnel to the nation’s capital. Wake County made a similar move in May as protests gripped the nation in the wake of George Floyd’s death.

David Schanzer, director of the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security, said law enforcement will have a “big challenges” in the coming days.

“Law enforcement is certainly on notice after Jan. 6 of the potentiality for violence and I think are going to be out in force and very well-prepared,” he said. “Allowing the protests to go forward if they’re peaceful but being ready to respond with the manpower and the force that’s necessary to stop violence. Police have a tough job to try to draw that fine line.”

Schanzer studies right-wing extremism and said he was not shocked that violence occurred at the Capitol last week.

“As a society, we need to get a grip on how to combat ideas that are so much based in fantasy rather than reality. And, law enforcement and society, in general, will have to learn how to grapple with that,” he said. “With QAnon, you never know exactly what’s going to happen next and where the misinformation is going to come from and therefore where the violence might occur. So, I think those things present big challenges for law enforcement.”

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...ty-precaution/

Old 01-16-2021, 05:20 PM

773 posts, read 646,355 times
I'm sure at least 49 other mayors are saying the same thing, unfortunately. The right wing crazies are out in force.

Last edited by Royal James; 01-16-2021 at 05:44 PM..

Old 01-16-2021, 05:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
At least we've had a lot of practice this year on dealing with things like this.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:02 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Why this needs to be said, I'm not really sure. Who in their right mind would go there? (don't answer, never mind).

Old 01-16-2021, 06:15 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Just stay home. Seriously, as others have said, this should be a no-brainer. We've had enough violence.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
I'm sure at least 49 other mayors are saying the same thing, unfortunately. The right wing crazies are out in force.
Quote:
“Armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols from 16 January through at least 20 January, and at the U.S. Capitol from 17 January through 20 January,” the bulletin said, according to one official.
today's been pretty quiet per Google. Here's hoping all's quiet through Wednesday throughout the States.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:21 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Why this needs to be said, I'm not really sure. Who in their right mind would go there? (don't answer, never mind).
Why would I go downtown? Maybe to spend money supporting small business. Maybe somebody would like to close on a home sale, and be assured it will be recorded in a timely fashion. Maybe a battered wife wants her restraining order heard. Maybe even to show that I won't be cowed from my freedom by nutjobs on the right or left.

Maybe I'll even go to the Capitol at 10:01 pm and protest the curfew which has no basis in science and I'd easily get my 15 minutes of fame with a Court win.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:58 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Why would I go downtown? Maybe to spend money supporting small business. Maybe somebody would like to close on a home sale, and be assured it will be recorded in a timely fashion. Maybe a battered wife wants her restraining order heard. Maybe even to show that I won't be cowed from my freedom by nutjobs on the right or left.

Maybe I'll even go to the Capitol at 10:01 pm and protest the curfew which has no basis in science and I'd easily get my 15 minutes of fame with a Court win.

I guess it really did need to be said - I meant the 20th ...when all county buildings are closed. Good luck recording that deed or getting that restraining order (yeah I'm sure a lot of battered women will decide they need that on a Wednesday at noon). SMH

Old 01-16-2021, 08:01 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
There are businesses and restaurants downtown.......(there are some engineering firms downtown I know of who have employees coming into the office still). This is probably their warning to close up shop that day and let their employees stay home.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:12 PM

18,084 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Enough wingnuts have made things dangerous for innocent others in every state. How sad that individuals have been weaponized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary