Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 01:57 PM

396 posts, read 434,524 times

Advertisements

Hi, considering a property that has a 30' utility easement in the backyard. The agent said it was no big deal and very common. Not so sure, though. Thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 02:25 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times
All of the city/neighborhood lots I've had has had something similar. Don't build anything there, except maybe a fence or a moveable shed, just in case they need to excavate for repairs.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:41 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
30'? How big is the yard? We have a utility easement in back too but I have a huge backyard so not a problem. Is there a creek back there? That's what we have. As noted don't build anything back there. TOC came out a few years ago and cleaned out brush and overgrown and said they would remove any structures. Our fence was built outside the easement.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:36 PM

425 posts, read 418,305 times
Try to get a look at the neighborhood map of easements or utility services. Maybe these are buried utility lines which run through much of the neighborhood, and many other parcels have the easement too.

In such a case, your parcel is not likely impaired in value, since potential buyers would easily encounter it elsewhere.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:44 PM

396 posts, read 434,524 times
Thanks for the responses. There really wasn't much time to get any info, as the house was listed and offers had to be in by end of the day. The listing agent said she didn't know what type of easement it is, but from the survey looks like either sewer or drainage. Twingles, property is 1/3 of an acre. There is a creek but not directly behind it.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:53 PM

636 posts, read 327,879 times
If you were planning on installing lawn sprinklers etc in that easement area, you should call 811 and get it marked. They will tell you if there water lines, sewer, underground electric, phone lines or whatever else might be down there to avoid. You know, "call before you dig" call811.com if I am not mistaken.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:07 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,096 times
I would just evaluate the easement in terms of the property boundaries and make a call. If you think the easement will cause you issues in the future then pass. I have a 50 foot "buffer" for the stream in my back yard, I live with the restrictions that I accepted when I purchased. That is all there is to it, be happy you got a survey and/or an agent that clued you in! :-D Not a big deal if you can live with it.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:51 AM

852 posts, read 585,888 times
The OP doesn't say where the property is located but I'll respond with the understanding that it's somewhere in Wake county. The easement is probably for a sewer or water line and unless the line is old (in need of repair), there is a low probability that it will ever need to be accessed. That said, don't build anything permanent in the easement. A fence would probably be the limit since a section of it can be temporarily removed.

The location of sewer easements can be found on the Wake County IMaps site, but water and electrical easements are not shown. A survey plat of the lot in question should show the locations of ALL easements.

As for the 50' stream buffer, that's under state regulations implemented to protect water quality in streams and rivers. As such, there would be no need to ever do anything to disturb it.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:08 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Thanks for the responses. There really wasn't much time to get any info, as the house was listed and offers had to be in by end of the day. The listing agent said she didn't know what type of easement it is, but from the survey looks like either sewer or drainage. Twingles, property is 1/3 of an acre. There is a creek but not directly behind it.

We're on .38 and I've never even been back that far on my property so my guess is you won't miss it. My depend on the nature of the yard and how you want to use it - mine is sloped down to that point and very woodsy back there. Only the dog goes back there.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:30 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,871,146 times
Just be aware that you don't own any property rights to the easement area but you are responsible for maintenance such as grass cutting. Technically even portable sheds are not supposed to be sitting on easement areas. The city of Raleigh made my neighbor move his because it sat on utilities easement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary