Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 12:59 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Why would you tie up the entire 250k in a house that doesn’t meet the criteria I specified when interest rates are incredibly favorable right now ?

And then you then you could invest the 100k.
For the third time, the OP can't get a loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 01:01 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
For the third time, the OP can't get a loan.
Can’t take and get are different .

Old 01-18-2021, 01:42 PM

425 posts, read 418,401 times
Quote:
I understand it's putting a lot of eggs in one basket, but isn't the goal of buying a home to pay it off?
It's an old fashioned idea. I paid mine off, and it's nice mental security to know that my monthly living expenses are just the taxes and maintenance. Moreover, you can pay taxes late or delay a repair, if you really need to. A mortgage MUST be paid EVERY month.

There is financial argument that's it's better to carry a mortgage at 3 or 4 % while you leave money invested in the market which earns a better return. But I feel like that tempts people into borrowing close to their limit, and financing a larger house than they really needed.

Some people will argue that "too much of your wealth is tied up in the equity of your home". But most of the time, real estate markets are liquid enough that you can sell within a few months as long as you're being sensible with your asking price.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:46 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
It's an old fashioned idea. I paid mine off, and it's nice mental security to know that my monthly living expenses are just the taxes and maintenance.

There is financial argument that's it's better to carry a mortgage at 3 or 4 % while you leave money invested in the market which earns a better return. But I feel like that tempts people in to borrowing close to their limit, and financing a larger house than they really needed.

Some people will argue that "too much of your wealth is tied up in the equity of your home". But most of the time, real estate markets are liquid enough that you can sell within a few months as long as you're being sensible with your asking price.
Understand this completely, and agree with it completely. However again, the OP mentioned they cannot take a mortgage. We all know that when rates are low it may not make sense to buy a house outright, but it seems like we should understand the OP's situation before telling them what they should and shouldn't do. It's possible due to past credit issues the OP is not eligible for a mortgage.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:49 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Can’t take and get are different .
So what? Can't take, can't get. OP doesn't want to take a mortgage.

OP, you can find housing in that price range, especially if you consider older homes. I'd avoid Southeast Raleigh. Garner, Knightdale, Wendell, Holly Springs, Fuquay, Northeastern Wake County are going to be your likely bets.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:06 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconValleyLocal View Post
I'm looking to buy a single-family home in the Raleigh/Durham area; (I'm not interested in townhomes, condos, etc.)

However, my budget is really limited, because I'm a cash buyer, and can't take any loans.

I've only got about $220k in cash now, but plan to have about $250k in cash in the next few months.

Obviously, I don't mind if it's a used home (as long as its move in ready & live-able); I also don't mind if it's a smaller home, with a small lot, etc. (It doesn't have to be a 3 bed, 2 bath.)

I just need a decent house in a safe area (School districts aren't that important either)

Which area of Raleigh/Durham should I focus on? Any specific cities/zip codes that may fit my budget?

The only thing I'm not willing to compromise on is safety;

I don't want to live in a neighborhood where I risk getting robbed, or where there are murders, etc.
Do you have to be in town?
Would you accept a septic tank and well?

Old 01-18-2021, 02:07 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Understand this completely, and agree with it completely. However again, the OP mentioned they cannot take a mortgage. We all know that when rates are low it may not make sense to buy a house outright, but it seems like we should understand the OP's situation before telling them what they should and shouldn't do. It's possible due to past credit issues the OP is not eligible for a mortgage.
Maybe OP is starting a business, and his/her income is sporaic/irregular. Maybe OP has credit trouble. Maybe OP doesn't want any debt in their life as from a personal Philosophical viewpoint. Maybe OP has a religious objection. Maybe OP is looking to offer from a position of strength and set herself above other buyers with the cash offer. DOesn't matter, OP didn't ask us about that.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:50 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
When you say you want to live in Raleigh/Durham, are you also considering the smaller towns on the outskirts?

I ask because I had two buyers that I just took out to a new neighborhood in Youngsville. It is about 5 minutes from Main Street in Wake Forest. There are 2 grocery stores within 4 miles and lots of growth in the area.

One of my clients purchased a brand new home...3 bedroom, 2 bath ranch, 2 car garage with a garage door opener, ALL stainless appliances, blinds included, LVP flooring and carpet, white kitchen cabinets, granite countertops, etc. $245,000.

My other client purchased similar but the floor plan she chose had a sunroom and a few other items for $265,000.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:23 PM

17 posts, read 15,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Do you have to be in town?
Would you accept a septic tank and well?
I'd prefer being within 25-30 miles, or so, from RTP/Downtown Durham/Downtown Raleigh;

I don't mind living in a city that doesn't have that many amenities, etc.

With and/or without septic tank & well both work for me. (Not a requirement)

Old 01-18-2021, 06:27 PM

17 posts, read 15,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
When you say you want to live in Raleigh/Durham, are you also considering the smaller towns on the outskirts?

I ask because I had two buyers that I just took out to a new neighborhood in Youngsville. It is about 5 minutes from Main Street in Wake Forest. There are 2 grocery stores within 4 miles and lots of growth in the area.

One of my clients purchased a brand new home...3 bedroom, 2 bath ranch, 2 car garage with a garage door opener, ALL stainless appliances, blinds included, LVP flooring and carpet, white kitchen cabinets, granite countertops, etc. $245,000.

My other client purchased similar but the floor plan she chose had a sunroom and a few other items for $265,000.
Youngsville is just slightly too far from RTP for my liking.

I don't need a new home; I'd prefer a used home that is closer to RTP/Downtown Durham/Downtown Raleigh.

It just needs to be in a safe, lower crime area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary