U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 05:57 AM

3,726 posts, read 2,671,859 times

Advertisements

Up North there were a lot of towns named after the 1st President seems like a million streets too. What they gonna do bout dat?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 06:41 AM

597 posts, read 278,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Up North there were a lot of towns named after the 1st President seems like a million streets too. What they gonna do bout dat?
Gotta get people acclimated to the process by going after little known (to the US population, at large) folks

They'll get to the Founding Fathers eventually - when the Cancel process is generally accepted

Comrade Stalin would be proud of the American Left today

Old 01-29-2021, 07:51 AM

1,306 posts, read 572,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I started this thread and I don't think anyone has mentioned that sea dog, Sir Walter Raleigh. Many many historical figures from that era had some connection to slavery. If we rename Cameron Village "The Village", do we rename Raleigh "The City"?
Get with the times! It’s Village District. I’m leaning towards wanting a “the” though.

The more I think and read about this, the more I realize how much name changing could be ahead if people now feel the Cameron name needs to be expunged because it’s trained. Add to the running list the Cameron Court apartments between Hillsborough and Morgan. I used to deliver papers there. Apparently it used to be where Duncan Cameron’s mansion used to be.

https://www.facebook.com/olderaleigh...7291539696464/
https://www.ncpedia.org/biography/cameron-duncan

I’m also wondering since it’s already been mentioned by someone here that Cameron St should be renamed if that demand will extend to Daniels St as well as others in the area.

ETA - I just watched the WRAL clip that’s now linked in the article in the OP, and apparently the mayor is indeed considering a name change for Cameron St. and said all this should “send a strong message to other companies and other entities,” so it seems there are already calls for more changes.

https://www.wral.com/cameron-village...name/19498100/

Last edited by ITB_OG; 01-29-2021 at 08:31 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 07:56 AM

381 posts, read 397,116 times
I still call it "inner beltline" and "outer beltline", because they still make perfect sense to me, so I'll probably inadvertently call this Cameron Village for the next decade or so at least.

This Cameron rebranding doesn't impact my life at all so I don't really care, but better to be ahead of the curve and give the impression of wokeness, rather than being later called out for a lack of wokeness and having to scramble for a quick rebrand after the fact.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:32 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,251,548 times
Good riddance. Any trace of ugly history framed in a way to honor it is worth eliminating. Let people learn about the Cameron name from reading history books, not seeing it splashed on signage in a way that more commonly conveys honor.

I'm reminded of an African proverb a friend of mine shared recently: "“Until the lion learns how to write, every story will glorify the hunter.”

It's about time that victims voices are heeded and the persecutors are relegated to footnotes in a history text.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Good riddance. Any trace of ugly history framed in a way to honor it is worth eliminating. Let people learn about the Cameron name from reading history books, not seeing it splashed on signage in a way that more commonly conveys honor.
That’s a tall order though. I mean it really lends credibility to the people asking things like “so what are we going to do, change the name of the city and all the streets and so on with certain presidents names on them?” etc. Is that what you’re proposing?

Old 01-29-2021, 08:51 AM

381 posts, read 397,116 times
If so, the University of Virginia, just as a single example, has A LOT to think about. Thomas Jefferson is now a bad guy, and that place is one giant tribute to him.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:59 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,251,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I started this thread and I don't think anyone has mentioned that sea dog, Sir Walter Raleigh. Many many historical figures from that era had some connection to slavery. If we rename Cameron Village "The Village", do we rename Raleigh "The City"?
Maybe. People will adjust and move on quickly, names and phrases shift quite literally all the time. And it's not just about having a connection to slavery, it's what their relationship was to the concept of slavery. Our founding fathers from the South all owned slaves, but they largely struggled with that morally (not all, and in varying degrees). Owning slaves does not automatically cast the slave owner as a villain, how they were known to view and more importantly, treat them is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
North Korea, Iran and the Taliban are pryoud.
Lazy narrative, it's like when people compare people to Adolph Hitler or the Nazi's. But I've noticed where you also threw out the term snowflake to frame someone as soft, rather than resolute, so not an uncommon technique for you, I assume.

I am curious though, do you understand why your choice of references actually undermines your credibility?

Old 01-29-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
And it's not just about having a connection to slavery, it's what their relationship was to the concept of slavery. Our founding fathers from the South all owned slaves, but they largely struggled with that morally (not all, and in varying degrees). Owning slaves does not automatically cast the slave owner as a villain, how they were known to view and more importantly, treat them is important.
While I’m not going to get into the merits of that statement, I am curious what it is about Cameron that makes him more villainous than others. Admittedly, I haven’t delved deep into the research, but what I saw didn’t indicate anything worse than many others we don’t tend to erase from places.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:26 AM

3,726 posts, read 2,671,859 times
Quote:
Maybe. People will adjust and move on quickly, names and phrases shift quite literally all the time. And it's not just about having a connection to slavery, it's what their relationship was to the concept of slavery. Our founding fathers from the South all owned slaves, but they largely struggled with that morally (not all, and in varying degrees). Owning slaves does not automatically cast the slave owner as a villain, how they were known to view and more importantly, treat them is important.

Lazy narrative, it's like when people compare people to Adolph Hitler or the Nazi's. But I've noticed where you also threw out the term snowflake to frame someone as soft, rather than resolute, so not an uncommon technique for you, I assume.

I am curious though, do you understand why your choice of references actually undermines your credibility?
No it doesn't at all. So do they stop at Cameron or do we go down the line until everyone with any gripe real or imagined is satisfied?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary