Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 04:32 PM

405 posts, read 316,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I think some renaming is justified, but persecuting people for their actions that were considered normal and acceptable in their day is getting out of hand.

Obama, Bill Clinton and most everyone was against same-sex marriage just 15 years ago.

Are they going to be stripped of their medals in the near future?

I don't agree or condone salve ownership in any form, just as I would fight against women being treated as property.

But who knows if they had evil intentions back then? Perhpas indentured servants worked to pay off a sum of money and then they were free to go, almost like it being a regular job.

Isn't everything in America named after those who stole the land from Native Americans through acts of evil and murder and selfish behavior? The shopping center should be named after the land's original inhabitants.

I hate it when everybody tries to rewrite history.

I read a recent article which stated that San Francisco plans to rename all its local schools named after George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. Even one named after Nancy Pelosi !

And please, I have native American heritage and I could not care less about going through these pc correct, feel good exercises. The past is the past , and we need to move forward in a positive way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 04:37 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Isn't everything in America named after those who stole the land from Native Americans through acts of evil and murder and selfish behavior?
No, of course not.

Quote:

The shopping center should be named after the land's original inhabitants.
Instead, how about re-naming it The George Floyd Village?

Old 01-29-2021, 04:48 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Instead, how about re-naming it The George Floyd Village?
On a serious note, there are plans for a George Floyd Center in Raleigh since he was originally from North Carolina: https://abc11.com/george-floyd-memor...leigh/8253366/

Old 01-29-2021, 05:01 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I’m not worried about Raleigh becoming The City though.
Nope, don’t believe you’ll have to worry about that. Not in your lifetime anyway

Old 01-29-2021, 07:40 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Good riddance. Any trace of ugly history framed in a way to honor it is worth eliminating. Let people learn about the Cameron name from reading history books, not seeing it splashed on signage in a way that more commonly conveys honor.
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Willian Harrison, John Tyler, James Polk, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses Grant, Martin Van Buren. All slave holders. All presidents. Removing mention of these men will require a lot of changes, from renaming the US Capital, Washington state, universities, memorials, Mount Rushmore, streets, schools, etc. Slavery within the US was an abomination, and I'm not advocating celebrating it, but I'm also not going to dismiss the good many of these contributed to the US.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:21 PM

281 posts, read 187,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
How about "Wokeville"?
Wake is already changing its name to Woke County

And I feel sorry for George and Weezie. Who's going to tell the Jefferson's their whole family name celebrates a racist slave owner president?
this is madness.

Quote:

The shopping center should be named after the land's original inhabitants.
"Sissipahaw Indian Village" just doesn't make me feel like going shopping or dining, though.

Quote:
That's a good insight, and ironic to me as I feel that Raleigh is quite homophobic, more than any other city I can think of.
Child, you need to travel around the South more. tons more cities scarier to be gay in than Raleigh.

Last edited by n24scube; 01-29-2021 at 11:47 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 05:32 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Willian Harrison, John Tyler, James Polk, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses Grant, Martin Van Buren. All slave holders. All presidents. Removing mention of these men will require a lot of changes, from renaming the US Capital, Washington state, universities, memorials, Mount Rushmore, streets, schools, etc. Slavery within the US was an abomination, and I'm not advocating celebrating it, but I'm also not going to dismiss the good many of these contributed to the US.
Take every single one of them down.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:56 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Take every single one of them down.
Sounds like something Adolf would have said.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:53 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
I was being sarcastic.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:38 AM

119 posts, read 81,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
So if Regency decided they wanted to change the name of one of their shopping centers because they found the current name to be unacceptable and/or a liability, who should have stopped them?
It was a shakedown not unlike what Sharpton and Jackson did to corporations in the 80’s and 90’s. They aren’t doing this and paying 50k for the cemetery cleanup out of the goodness of their hearts. Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary