U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 06:33 AM

3 posts, read 16,608 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum - just moved here a few months ago. I figured that with all the medical facilities in the area, I'd have no trouble finding a job, but I've been looking for nearly 6 months with no luck. I'm an occupational therapist with over 14 years of experience working in the workman's comp field. I have noticed that there are TONS of job openings in the home health and nursing home areas, which I don't want to do, but nothing has come up in out-patient orthopaedic areas. I'm hoping that the network of people in this forum could help me come up with a few leads on where to look. Any ideas?

Julie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 05:43 PM

312 posts, read 1,851,435 times
I was in the same situation like your's - I have been looking for medical record auditor job for almost a year. So I had to find a different kind of jobs to get it asap and I ended up being a US Postal Mail Carrier. It's a huge change for me, but I like it - something different and challenging.

The reason why our medical field jobs are hard to get is because many people are moving to popular NC state and most hospitals get about 3,000 applications PER week! ( I called and they told me that. )

You're not alone. You might want to consider to call the job temp agency and they do have "temp-to-hire" occupational therapy job. It could be a good start for you.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,875,342 times
"...I figured that with all the medical facilities in the area, I'd have no trouble finding a job, ..." This is why it's always a good idea to at least have an interview or two set up or to have researched a little BEFORE you move to a different place..... I'm a nurse with >30 years of experience and even with the "shortage", I'd still not relocate without an offer.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 16,608 times
Cakeprincess: Be careful with that mail carrier job. I'd say that 20% of the patients that I treated for workmans comp injuries were in the shipping industry (e.g., USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc). Relative to the total workforce, that is a high number. These jobs have high incidences of neck, shoulder, and back injuries.

It seems like some of the mail carriers that I see here are driving normal cars, but they sit on the passenger side of the front seat and reach across to the steering wheel, still on the driver's side. How does that work? Doing that for an 8 hour shift can't be good for your posture.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,462 times
There are a few clinical based OT positions available in Baltimore, MD.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 PM

5,604 posts, read 16,709,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunkid View Post
There are a few clinical based OT positions available in Baltimore, MD.
And how does that help the OP, who lives in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 63,880 times
Yeah!! Fellow OTR!
We are planning a move and I will be honest with you..... I was thinking the same as you (medical facilities = job!) - well, up until about 30 seconds ago! My husband is taking the role as "breadwinner" when we first make the move, but I hoped to follow behind and make a contribution myself (within the year) - so your post is FANTASTIC INFO for me! I better get my resumes out now for spring Can you utilize a company like ONWARD/ GENERAL HEALTHCARE RESOURCES (GHR) - or are they specific to certain areas? I have lots of friends that work "contract" and love it and those two companies stand out in my head. I want to wish you the best of luck in your search.... hope it comes to an end soon and you find something great!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:54 PM

20 posts, read 67,357 times
my husband and i too are considering a move to the cary area to be near family, milder climate, etc. i have been paying attention to the OT job market in that area and i am very concerned about employment opportunities to contribute to my family's income. i have already been through this in the late 90's in denver, co and could not get a job as an occupational therapy assistant if i paid for one!! maybe julied and i should open our own clinic. i would like to hear if anyone has any input on the job market situation.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM

4,174 posts, read 10,743,847 times
Have you looked into Duke? I just did a quick search - there were 2 OT positions at Durham Regional (a Duke affiliate), 1 at Duke Raleigh and 2 with Duke Home & Hospice. Also, in this day and age, many orthopedic practices (especially hand surgeons) have their own OT depts in their offices. You could try sending out unsolicited resumes to all, you never know if you might get some interest. You may have already done this but I was just trying to think of a few things for you. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM

20 posts, read 67,357 times
thank you jd1010. i really appreciate your input. i did think of the orthopaedic route since i have been working in hand therapy for the past 6 years. i'm not sure if we will be able to sell our house in the market today which would make it hard to commit to a start date. i will keep trying!! btw .....how did u locate those duke positions? what web site did u go to? take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary