Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:49 AM

9,156 posts, read 14,815,715 times

Advertisements

This area is definitely my old stomping grounds. I went to many a house party in one of those split levels in the late 80s to early 90s. Good times! It’s funny seeing them now when I have an inspection over there and they have aluminum wiring, non-grounded electrical, small bedrooms and baths, etc. It is pretty funny they seemed way bigger when I was in high school, it maybe I’m just comparing them to the seeming floor of 2800sf in new construction these days. It is pretty amazing what people will pay now as well. But that location is only getting better over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 06:27 AM

1,342 posts, read 733,992 times
They aren't split levels, they're midcentury modern homes. They can be filled with all the requisite midcentury modern furnishings to make for a proper urban homeowner making them 100% cooler than their counterparts in the burbs.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:00 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,192,941 times
I did get a message from a realtor asking if we would be willing to sell our home, but I'm sure they are more interested in our .5 acre lot than our split level. Although, I've noticed that more flippers are trying to rehab the split levels in North Hills nowadays.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:06 AM

43,443 posts, read 77,411,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I did get a message from a realtor asking if we would be willing to sell our home, but I'm sure they are more interested in our .5 acre lot than our split level. Although, I've noticed that more flippers are trying to rehab the split levels in North Hills nowadays.
You might have zoning restrictions that prevent subdividing lots to allow more than one house being built.
Maybe R-20?
.42 acre minimum?

So, renovation is more workable than scraping and having a very expensive lot?

Old 02-09-2021, 08:18 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,192,941 times
They did pass zoning restrictions for part of North Hill, but the people who did it only included what they deemed to be "historic North Hills". I think the line is from Hyde to Six Forks.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:11 AM

3,394 posts, read 7,789,380 times
Starting to see a similar trend with the older split levels walkable to downtown Cary. While nowhere near those North Hills prices, we’ll have gone from $200Ks to pushing $400Ks in maybe 4 years. And things seem to be accelerating down here with all the new stuff right downtown, plus Fenton and Epic Games coming very close by. The split levels have enough sqft that they are being renovated, while the smaller cottages/ranches are being torn down. We have $1M+ home going up around the corner.

I’ve come to really like actually living in a split level, even if I would love to figure out a way to make the exterior more aesthetically pleasing.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I’ve come to really like actually living in a split level, even if I would love to figure out a way to make the exterior more aesthetically pleasing.
Even when I've come across one that's in the right location and has a decent layout and that I can afford, that's often the part that I've gotten hung up on. Some split levels just can't be made to look aesthetically pleasing particularly the ones with certain 60s and 70s design hallmarks (shingles down the side, barn roofs, general weirdness, etc). Some can updated pretty easily though, especially the ones that are pretty basic and have the lowest level a bit more above ground.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:43 AM

13,727 posts, read 12,522,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
They aren't split levels, they're midcentury modern homes. They can be filled with all the requisite midcentury modern furnishings to make for a proper urban homeowner making them 100% cooler than their counterparts in the burbs.
Split levels are hated on but people do forget that they were popular once for a reason.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:57 AM

43,443 posts, read 77,411,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Split levels are hated on but people do forget that they were popular once for a reason.
Split levels originally worked nicely when placed on a slope.
The lower level on the lower side of the slope, and the single level on the higher side of the slope.
Direct access to grade level from both with few or no steps, and an upstairs bedroom and bath level.

Then, when they got popular, people started sticking tri-level splits on flat lots, and they almost always look out of place.
The typical problem that arises from picking a style from a book and sticking it somewhere, rather than picking a style for the intended lot.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They do have some advantages. They offer a little bit more separation of space than many ranch homes do but more connectivity than most two story homes. Plus they don't have those perilously long staircases that many two-story houses have. That said, you have to go up and down stairs to go just about anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary