Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 04:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times

Advertisements

Has anyone flown direct from Raleigh to Charlotte? I know it may sound ridiculous but I don't like driving far distances now that I am getting older especially with my F350 long bed truck. It is very tiring for me.

I could always take the train but I've never rode a train before so I'm not comfortable doing that yet. Having my husband drive me down and then drive back the same day is just too much for him (he can't stay overnight because we have pets). So I'm thinking maybe a flight would be better. I wasn't even sure if they offered it since it is so close but I saw that American does have direct flights. I'm just not sure about the quickness of it meaning the plane would go up and then just as it gets to the normal altitude it would descend right down. Also is this a tiny plane?

I have high anxiety so I know for many this (and my thoughts on it) may seem strange. Just trying to figure out an easier way to visit my daughter more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 05:23 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Yes, AA has a bunch of flights...can't imagine much demand for that hop by itself, but tons of people need to access the Charlotte hub for connections around the country and beyond.

Flight is scheduled for an hour, but actual time in the air is more like 30 minutes. It'd be a normal single-aisle plane with ~130–160 seats...three seats on each side of the aisle in coach.

But honestly, with all of the hassle of security and needing to get to the airport early, I would strongly suggest exploring the train if the stations are convenient for you on both ends. Train takes about 3 hours, so close to the same amount of time as flying all things considered but without the airport hassles, and at a fraction of the cost.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:24 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
You're not going to get to "normal altitude" - I flew from Long Island to Albany, NY and back once (which is farther than Raleigh-Charlotte) and saw houses the whole way.

Taking the train is definitely the easiest bet. Do you really want your daughter to have to deal with the airport?

If you're worried about the train ( and I CANNOT believe you've NEVER been on a train, is that true?) take it from Raleigh to Cary to get a feel for it.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:44 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
I've had it take as little as 20 minutes in the air. Depends on traffic levels and which way the wind is blowing at RDU and CLT (which determines the direction of runway operation). Highest altitude is typically 12-16,000 ft.

The train is more enjoyable, a small fraction of the expense, and not much longer end-to-end given how early you're supposed to show up at the departing airport. https://www.ncbytrain.org

Old 04-19-2022, 06:34 PM

921 posts, read 748,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

If you're worried about the train take it from Raleigh to Cary to get a feel for it.
That is an absolutely brilliant suggestion and I hope the OP will do it. The train is a much better option for her.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:42 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Has anyone flown direct from Raleigh to Charlotte? I know it may sound ridiculous but I don't like driving far distances now that I am getting older especially with my F350 long bed truck. It is very tiring for me.

I could always take the train but I've never rode a train before so I'm not comfortable doing that yet. Having my husband drive me down and then drive back the same day is just too much for him (he can't stay overnight because we have pets). So I'm thinking maybe a flight would be better. I wasn't even sure if they offered it since it is so close but I saw that American does have direct flights. I'm just not sure about the quickness of it meaning the plane would go up and then just as it gets to the normal altitude it would descend right down. Also is this a tiny plane?

I have high anxiety so I know for many this (and my thoughts on it) may seem strange. Just trying to figure out an easier way to visit my daughter more often.
You've just given me an express shuttle service business idea!!!

Old 04-19-2022, 07:07 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,377 times
Where in Charlotte do you want to go?

If you want to go to the area around UNCC, please take the train. The drive from the airport to UNCC will be about as long as the flight. And I think the train stops in Concord/Kannapolis so you don't have to go to downtown Charlotte.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:27 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,885 times
Another vote for the train. It's actually very relaxing. We took the train to Charlotte a few years back to go see a Checkers game. We stayed overnight and took the train back to Cary the next day. It was great and way less stressful than a flight.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:49 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned that Greyhound does have a bus. . . https://www.greyhound.com/en-us/bus-...h-to-charlotte

Old 04-19-2022, 10:51 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
https://www.planetizen.com/news/2022...us-service?amp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary