Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 05:37 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,628,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think the reason buses work in Chapel Hill is simple. They are convenient—more convenient than cars to get to campus. So many people (professors, staff, students, citizens) use it that it doesn't have any stigma in town of being only for less well off folks. Not sure if you can make the bus more convenient than cars in other parts of the Triangle, but maybe with the dedicated fast lanes. BTW, I'm sure some students do use the bus to get groceries if they can't walk or drive. That baby Target gets a lot of grocery action downtown, too.
Yes, as long as driving is more convenient, people are never going to take transit. It doesn’t have to do with bus stigma or not having rail instead of buses, it’s about frequency/reliability of transit and convenience in relation to driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 07:47 AM

13,740 posts, read 12,556,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There is a national obsession with light rail as some sort of north star. IMO, I would rather see commuter rail on existing heavy rail lines establish nodes of denser development at new/existing stops, and leverage BRT for intracity transit.
I agree, and it's never made a lot of sense to me, especially considering that you could setup stations in Zebulon Wendell Knightdale, Wakemed, DTR West/NC State, Cary, Morrisville, RTP, Durham, on the same line.

Wake Forest, Durant Rd, Millbrook, Whitaker Mill, DTR, on the same line, Selma, Wilsons Mill, Clayton, Garner, terminating at a Raleigh transfer point.

Moncure, New Hill, Apex, Morrisville/RTP, Durham, on the same line.

East-West to CHapel Hill is where the existing lines fall short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i think the problem with BRT is youll never make it seem beyond a poor people's mode of transportation and then its death of a thousand cuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Yes, as long as driving is more convenient, people are never going to take transit. It doesn’t have to do with bus stigma or not having rail instead of buses, it’s about frequency/reliability of transit and convenience in relation to driving.
Yes, I knew plenty of well paid folks that took the bus from Uptown or Northeast Minneapolis to downtown. It wasn't the be-all and end-all. But if you were working in a handful of skyscraper office buildings, or seeing a concert, twins game, etc, it was better.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:15 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,928,588 times
Quote:
just makes me sad. Soooo many of those same stupid apartments. They are everywhere all over the country! No character.

thank you!!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2021, 02:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,420,757 times
And they are building more all the time everywhere across the country.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
So true . It’s a national issue.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:19 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,180,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
So true . It’s a national issue.
I can't believe they tore down a big chunk of Seaboard for guess what, more bland apartments. At least build another Skyhouse or Walter highrise, and not more tender boxes like the Metropolitan.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:20 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,180,943 times
Quote:
Because they can be built relatively cheaper and will mean big profits for developers.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:02 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,628,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Because they can be built relatively cheaper and will mean big profits for developers.
Ding ding ding

Old 02-18-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I can't believe they tore down a big chunk of Seaboard for guess what, more bland apartments. At least build another Skyhouse or Walter highrise, and not more tender boxes like the Metropolitan.
Damn shame. I was floored when I saw the actual demolition had already started. Raleigh is on quest to “out vanilla” Cary at this point .

Old 02-18-2021, 10:11 PM

405 posts, read 321,728 times
Quote:
Interesting. “They” was Peace College, AKA William Peace University, who sold the land to one of the most prominent urban infill developers in the USA. “They” are building a $ 300 million dollar development there, not a “tinder box” as some put it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary