Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 09:20 AM

771 posts, read 625,882 times

Advertisements

I'm a Triangle native in my 20s. The only thing I dislike is that a good portion of the development in the Triangle looks cheap and rushed. Nonstop sprawl, clear cutting, etc. You can clearly see this in areas such as west Cary or Morrisville. It's not quite as noticeable in north Raleigh, which might as well be an "older" area at this point.

Personally, I want to see downtown Raleigh and downtown Durham grow more, after COVID. It'd be great to see young people out and about, especially around downtown Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 09:44 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
What it is, is gentrification on a massive scale. I liked the character of Raleigh (and Durham and Chapel Hill) before it got so gentrified. There were some gritty areas, maybe some rundown areas, but there weren't tear-downs of cool old buildings and slapping some new style many story apartment building there every few months. I think Durham has done both better and worse at this. They have kept some of their old buildings and made something cool out of them while keeping the character, but they have had a huge amount of gentrification downtown.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-look-the-same

Quote:
Why America’s New Apartment Buildings All Look the Same
Cheap stick framing has led to a proliferation of blocky, forgettable mid-rises—and more than a few construction fires.

These buildings are in almost every U.S. city. They range from three to seven stories tall and can stretch for blocks. They’re usually full of rental apartments, but they can also house college dorms, condominiums, hotels, or assisted-living facilities. Close to city centers, they tend toward a blocky, often colorful modernism; out in the suburbs, their architecture is more likely to feature peaked roofs and historical motifs. Their outer walls are covered with fiber cement, metal, stucco, or bricks.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:05 AM

1,204 posts, read 777,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
What it is, is gentrification on a massive scale. I liked the character of Raleigh (and Durham and Chapel Hill) before it got so gentrified. There were some gritty areas, maybe some rundown areas, but there weren't tear-downs of cool old buildings and slapping some new style many story apartment building there every few months. I think Durham has done both better and worse at this. They have kept some of their old buildings and made something cool out of them while keeping the character, but they have had a huge amount of gentrification downtown.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-look-the-same

Yeah, unfortunately these buildings are everywhere. I remember reading that article when it popped up in my Pocket a while back. Good stuff. I think it makes a point that it's easy to build, and became developers' darling because they can make a lot in a small plot of land (commercial + residential), but they are all prone to easy fires. IMO, they are ugly. You can't tell the difference between one town to another anymore... You can be in Austin or Raleigh -- places look the same, all ugly condos.

I've been here for two years, and it's growing pretty fast. I am worried about the quality of new buildings, and the amount of forest and open spaces we may lose as a result of change, but change is good. I like it. I only hope they keep up with it, maintain the roads, plan for density rather than for sprawl.

TBH, I want it grow big enough so that RDU gets better. The only direct international flight we have from here is to Cancun. So disappointing. You'd think with all the big pharma and biotech we'd get direct flights to Frankfurt or something.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
TBH, I want it grow big enough so that RDU gets better. The only direct international flight we have from here is to Cancun. So disappointing. You'd think with all the big pharma and biotech we'd get direct flights to Frankfurt or something.
What are you talking about? There's a very popular non-stop flight to London. Plus a non-stop to Paris and non-stops to Montreal and Toronto, some of the islands, etc.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:32 AM

This is a very good deep dive from WUNC into the housing boom in Raleigh and the subsequent gentrification issues. Highly recommend:

https://wunc915.atavist.com/where-we-live

Quote:
East and south Raleigh have a long history of black homeownership. But in the past decade, that has started to change. In the 14 Census tracts to the east and south of downtown Raleigh, the white population increased by 82% from 2010 to 2017, according to a WUNC analysis of Census population figures. During that same time, the non-white population increased by just 5%.

“It’s been rapid,” said State Representative and area resident Yvonne Holley. “It’s been rampant and rapid. It went from zero to 150. It didn’t happen with one or two houses.”

Holley lives in a historically black neighborhood off Glascock Street in the Oakwood area, a part of Raleigh that was among the first to gentrify. New people coming in isn’t a bad thing in and of itself, she said. But when it comes at the cost of displacing too many existing residents, it tears at the fabric of a neighborhood.

“So then you have a community here,” she said. “And then the community is fractured.”

Both Holley and Morgan said that gentrification doesn’t have to carry a negative connotation. After all, investing into a dilapidated property raises the value of all homes around it. But when it comes at the expense of the community in a neighborhood, or if it displaces residents – that’s when they take note.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? There's a very popular non-stop flight to London. Plus a non-stop to Paris and non-stops to Montreal and Toronto, some of the islands, etc.
Yes, pre-Covid there were 5 international destinations. Out of which 2 were to Canada and another one to Cancun. How is that enough for highly educated population (with lots of international students, staff and faculty) with discretionary income who wouldn't mind traveling overseas? It is disappointing. Maybe not for you, but I do find it lacking. There could be more. Plus if you read closely, I said I want the triangle area grow big enough to get more flights. I do not expect it now. It's disappointing but okay for now.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:47 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
I’ve lived in Wake Co for 35 years, and NC my whole life. Generally I’ve been welcoming of change in that time, as urban renewal began, but kinda feel the big two downtown areas peaked about 8 years ago. Up to then, I felt the positive changes outweighed the negatives. Not true any longer. The pandemic probably worsens it, too. Local/smaller/independent places don’t have the pockets in many cases to weather this like big corporate things do.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:54 AM

You literally said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
The only direct international flight we have from here is to Cancun. So disappointing

This is just not factual. RDU does not have only one direct international flight. That's just wrong. Just setting the record straight. Non-stops from here are more expensive and you may find it cheaper to go to IAD, but we do have non-stop international flights to Europe and other destinations.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You literally said:

This is just not factual. RDU does not have only one direct international flight. That's just wrong. Just setting the record straight. Non-stops from here are more expensive and you may find it cheaper to go to IAD, but we do have non-stop international flights to Europe and other destinations.
Here is the link, read it for yourself: https://www.rdu.com/airline-informat...-destinations/

It is factual. There were 5 before Covid and now there is only one. I mean I am not some fake news person. I understand I sometime compare these flights to DIA, which I shouldn't. I was spoiled there with about 20 direct international flights, including to Tokyo, Reykjavik, Puerta-Vallarta, Frankfurt, etc .. but I think Triangle has enough potential to have more international flights. So I say again, 5 Pre-Covid and 1 now is not enough. It is disappointing. But, as I said, I am fine with it now. I hope this area grows enough to demand more flights. Until then I can go to Atlanta.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:41 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
You guys are kind of making two different points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary