Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 11:58 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times

Advertisements

It’s weird that you’d use a post-Covid airport list when it’s obvious that it wasn’t like that less than a year ago. In particular the London connection was and is a big deal stretching back decades. So the Cancun jab seems disingenuous. But there is a hint of truth there, as we’d all like a more robust airport destination offerings, and the RDU expansion is certainly being done with an eye towards that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 12:46 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It’s weird that you’d use a post-Covid airport list when it’s obvious that it wasn’t like that less than a year ago. In particular the London connection was and is a big deal stretching back decades. So the Cancun jab seems disingenuous. But there is a hint of truth there, as we’d all like a more robust airport destination offerings, and the RDU expansion is certainly being done with an eye towards that.

I definitely didn't mean that. I should have said currently 1 international destination; I believe I fixed that in my follow up post. But, even the pre-covid situation wasn't that great, with 5 (and 2 being to Canada and 1 to Cancun again). And, as I keep repeating myself -- I hope the growth will help making it better I think there is enough interest and people to make it happen. I'm not asking what Atlanta has, for example, cool stuff like direct flights to Istanbul or Johannesburg. But some more destinations would be great.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:50 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I definitely didn't mean that. I should have said currently 1 international destination; I believe I fixed that in my follow up post. But, even the pre-covid situation wasn't that great, with 5 (and 2 being to Canada and 1 to Cancun again). And, as I keep repeating myself -- I hope the growth will help making it better I think there is enough interest and people to make it happen. I'm not asking what Atlanta has, for example, cool stuff like direct flights to Istanbul or Johannesburg. But some more destinations would be great.
i mean i think its well understand that feature isnt a characteristic of atlanta being atlanta but that airport being a logistical hub for numerous airlines to converge for international travel. It wouldnt make sense at all for airlanes to do that in both atlanta and raleigh.

i mean im sure more good stuff will happen but that dynamic needs to be taken into consideration

Old 02-15-2021, 12:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Right this second you shouldn't be flying anywhere internationally. If you want to bump that out to the fall on Google Flights you will see all those destinations I mentioned.

RDU to Paris

RDU to LONDON

RDU to MONTREAL

RDU to TORONTO

London is shut down at this moment so I can't book a flight in there for tomorrow, but I can book these flights right now.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:52 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
I just don't see Raleigh being a major international hub anytime soon apart from Air Canada and maybe 1 or 2 routes each airline (JetBlue/Southwest to the Caribbean's, maybe a route here and there for Delta/American).

Delta is the biggest player at RDU and RDU is just a focus city for them, not a hub so the best you can hope for is just frequent flights to one of their hubs (Atlanta/Detroit/Minneapolis/New York) that do have tons of international flights.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:54 PM

1,462 posts, read 660,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

London is shut down at this moment so I can't book a flight in there for tomorrow, but I can book these flights right now.
Why would you need to book a flight to London? We have had their delightful weather for two weeks now!

Old 02-15-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Why would you need to book a flight to London? We have had their delightful weather for two weeks now!
That's the truth! Good one. So ready for spring. At least we didn't get Greensboro's ice storm.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:09 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
Quote:
It’s not this cold in London

Old 02-15-2021, 01:12 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
Quote:
So I just looked it up and there are 114 rainy days a year in Raleigh (43.7 inches), 111 in London (23.9 inches).

Old 02-15-2021, 01:31 PM

Proposed mixed-use building could replace Goodnights Comedy Club in Raleigh

I wonder what the total number off "mixed use buildings" is in the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary