Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 01:48 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I just don't see Raleigh being a major international hub anytime soon apart from Air Canada and maybe 1 or 2 routes each airline (JetBlue/Southwest to the Caribbean's, maybe a route here and there for Delta/American).

Delta is the biggest player at RDU and RDU is just a focus city for them, not a hub so the best you can hope for is just frequent flights to one of their hubs (Atlanta/Detroit/Minneapolis/New York) that do have tons of international flights.

You never know. It could happen. We just need to add a few more, 1 more to Europe (Frankfurt, please), 1 to Asia (that would be a pretty good marketing for Duke and UNC), 1 to Latin/South America (even if it's to Belize).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 01:51 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Proposed mixed-use building could replace Goodnights Comedy Club in Raleigh

I wonder what the total number off "mixed use buildings" is in the Triangle.
i mean its no different than a real big city right a building with stores and houses people is the problem its made of sticks instead of steel?

Old 02-15-2021, 02:09 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Here is the link, read it for yourself: https://www.rdu.com/airline-informat...-destinations/

It is factual. There were 5 before Covid and now there is only one. I mean I am not some fake news person. I understand I sometime compare these flights to DIA, which I shouldn't. I was spoiled there with about 20 direct international flights, including to Tokyo, Reykjavik, Puerta-Vallarta, Frankfurt, etc .. but I think Triangle has enough potential to have more international flights. So I say again, 5 Pre-Covid and 1 now is not enough. It is disappointing. But, as I said, I am fine with it now. I hope this area grows enough to demand more flights. Until then I can go to Atlanta.
IDK...unless you live in one of a 1/2 dozen locations, you're likely taking a connecting flight for an international flight. This isn't Dallas (Atlanta, Chicago, NYC, Atlanta) and you don't deal with a lot of hassles they have in those cities. The smaller airport, along with 12 other things I could think of that don't come as well or as often with smaller metros, are part of the deal.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:26 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Ozmoe 571- can you tell me some of your favorite vegan places? Here in Greenville one seems to open about once a week. and there are also several people nearby who do weekly meal prep, which really helps when you are busy with work and don't want unhealthy takeout. My son hates it here in Greenville and doesn't feel like there is anyones else like him here (high functioning autism). I dread going back to driving on the roads in the Triangle- hated it 7 years ago, but I know overall there is more of everything we like there, except for hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains, which is what has kept me sane (or fairly so) this past year.
Hey Beth, I really don't have any favorite vegan places as I'm not a vegan, but most of my friends who are speak highly of The Fiction Kitchen and Purple Cabbage in Raleigh, not to mention the plentiful vegan options in many of the local and regional restaurants.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:30 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
How did this thread become mostly about international flights?

Old 02-15-2021, 03:34 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
So I just looked it up and there are 114 rainy days a year in Raleigh (43.7 inches), 111 in London (23.9 inches).
While rain is usually used as shorthand for London dreariness in films, it’s cloudiness that probably describes London best. Science says they average less than 4 hours of sunshine daily. Different scientists claim Raleigh has 220 days of sunshine yearly. Different measurements but the point is similar. Raleigh’s climate is wetter and sunnier.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Not lately on the sunnier. To get back to the OP I think that may be one thing that has changed in the past 10 years. I think it's been rainier and cloudier.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 7,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferner1 View Post
Interested to please hear your thoughts, how is Raleigh/Durham now, compared with a previous decade ago? I mean from say 2010-12 time (give or take, even earlier is fine). But just last 10-15 years. Thank you

It's gotten worse.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:09 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
States beg for new jobs and residents.

The new residents including new children must eat, go to school, have have shelter built for them.

As far as traffic goes, Raleigh was named the best city for driving in the entire country by one of those wallethub or whatever studies.

I would kill to be able to have five different ways to get to places here in Atlanta.

Y'all have alternate routes galore in the Triangle.

The biggest threat to your area in my opinion is the aging of tract-built homes. They will not last or look good after 50 years without meticulous maintenance every year.

I do love that it's starting to look like a metro area with buildings piercing the tree canopy like with North Hills and Downtown.

Raleigh has always been rather sophisticated but didn't appear that way.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:15 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
States beg for new jobs and residents.

The new residents including new children must eat, go to school, have have shelter built for them.

As far as traffic goes, Raleigh was named the best city for driving in the entire country by one of those wallethub or whatever studies.

I would kill to be able to have five different ways to get to places here in Atlanta.

Y'all have alternate routes galore in the Triangle.

The biggest threat to your area in my opinion is the aging of tract-built homes. They will not last or look good after 50 years without meticulous maintenance every year.
Meh, my parents live in a tract home that's 40 years old. I live in one that's pushing 60. My brother lives in one that's 100. Friends have bought one that was new a few years ago. While the older ones may have better sticks in terms of the actual lumber that was used, that's about the end of it. Not everyone that swung a hammer was competent 10 years ago, 40 years ago, a century ago. Pinching pennies at the expense of quality isn't a new thing either.

The whole "meticulous maintenance every year" is a bit of a reach. At some point roofs need to be redone, homes painted. HVAC ages and wears out. It is what it is. Some will look notably dated, some will age more gracefully; that was true 50 years ago too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary