Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 10:08 AM

22,708 posts, read 36,905,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The biggest threat to your area in my opinion is the aging of tract-built homes. They will not last or look good after 50 years without meticulous maintenance every year.

Yup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 10:10 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,302,346 times
What will not last or look good on a tract built home?

If that happens it will be because people have become house poor and can't keep up with maintenance - like what happens up north. I don't think tract built homes are just going to start falling down.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:38 AM

2,505 posts, read 3,559,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There are a lot of voices here that are poo poo'ing what's happening in Raleigh, and I suspect that many of those voices are suburban oriented. However, I see what's happening from a in-town/downtown perspective and am delighted with all of the increased energy and urban neighborhood creation that's happened so far this century.
Indeed. More people is a vicious cycle in a suburban sprawl context: more people mean more traffic, mostly. But in a city, more people create a virtuous cycle: more choices, better services.

The big difference is the scale of transport: a crowded sidewalk is "lively," a crowded road is "congested."

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Just makes me sad. Soooo many of those same stupid apartments. They are everywhere all over the country! No character.
Better than even more of the same tract houses. The rate of sprawl has definitely slowed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
The real estate market in the triangle is fundmentally sick, beyond covid, step buyers don't want to sell and boomers don't want to step down and it's causing huge issues.
It's a national issue, and considerably worse in other markets where boomers are a larger share of the market:
While Seniors Age in Place Millennials Wait Longer and May Pay More for their First Homes - Freddie Mac

Old 02-16-2021, 12:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 783,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Indeed. More people is a vicious cycle in a suburban sprawl context: more people mean more traffic, mostly. But in a city, more people create a virtuous cycle: more choices, better services.

The big difference is the scale of transport: a crowded sidewalk is "lively," a crowded road is "congested."

Better than even more of the same tract houses. The rate of sprawl has definitely slowed down.

It's a national issue, and considerably worse in other markets where boomers are a larger share of the market:
While Seniors Age in Place Millennials Wait Longer and May Pay More for their First Homes - Freddie Mac

Agree with this 100%. I know I got stuck in airport issue here, but that's what I was trying to get at. The more growth means more choices and better services. Cause money talks, which maybe means more international flights (aren't y'all tired of me yet?!)... .

I know that light rail isn't happening, but you never know, someone will have to figure out the DURHAM - RTP - RDU - RALEIGH route at some point. Maybe we'll get dedicated bus lanes for that. Hopefully, RTP also gets big enough to demand things from both Durham and Raleigh.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:29 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,986,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Agree with this 100%. I know I got stuck in airport issue here, but that's what I was trying to get at. The more growth means more choices and better services. Cause money talks, which maybe means more international flights (aren't y'all tired of me yet?!)... .

I know that light rail isn't happening, but you never know, someone will have to figure out the DURHAM - RTP - RDU - RALEIGH route at some point. Maybe we'll get dedicated bus lanes for that. Hopefully, RTP also gets big enough to demand things from both Durham and Raleigh.

where is the evidence for optimism? we are 3-6 counties like 7 munis and 0-1 with 200 mil wasted on rail

Old 02-16-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
where is the evidence for optimism? we are 3-6 counties like 7 munis and 0-1 with 200 mil wasted on rail

That's why I said "dedicated bus lanes". Those actually work and can reach people who really need transportation compared to light rail; because as soon as light rail is announced, all the areas around it get bought up by investors and get gentrified. But, if you can have dedicated lanes on major roads and have a good bus system, it can really help folks who can't afford to have a car, but need reliable and quick transportation to get from point A to point B.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:54 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,612,838 times
Quote:
That's why I said "dedicated bus lanes". Those actually work and can reach people who really need transportation compared to light rail; because as soon as light rail is announced, all the areas around it get bought up by investors and get gentrified. But, if you can have dedicated lanes on major roads and have a good bus system, it can really help folks who can't afford to have a car, but need reliable and quick transportation to get from point A to point B.
GoTriangle is a complete disaster and I have 0% confidence in them getting anything done at this point, especially on commuter rail.

The transit agency in Raleigh (GoRaleigh) does seem to be competent and is making good progress on the eastern and western BRT lines (we will see if they can deliver on both in the next 5 years, they got some federal funding recently). If both the eastern and western BRT line gets built, we'll have dedicated bus lanes between Wake Med and downtown Cary. From there Cary can step it up and extend it out to RTP.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
GoTriangle is a complete disaster and I have 0% confidence in them getting anything done at this point, especially on commuter rail.

The transit agency in Raleigh (GoRaleigh) does seem to be competent and is making good progress on the eastern and western BRT lines (we will see if they can deliver on both in the next 5 years, they got some federal funding recently). If both the eastern and western BRT line gets built, we'll have dedicated bus lanes between Wake Med and downtown Cary. From there Cary can step it up and extend it out to RTP.

That sounds pretty great. I am totally for that kind of a bus system. I have seen it in Europe mostly, and it was pretty awesome in Istanbul where I would be totally scared to rent a car and drive myself. While traffic was jammed on major roads, buses were basically flying.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:06 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,612,838 times
Quote:
That sounds pretty great. I am totally for that kind of a bus system. I have seen it in Europe mostly, and it was pretty awesome in Istanbul where I would be totally scared to rent a car and drive myself. While traffic was jammed on major roads, buses were basically flying.
I'm not sure why there's such a fascination with light rail around here or in the US in general but if buses have their own dedicated/separated lanes, it can be just as effective.......up to a certain ridership of course. There's a city in South America (Bogota) that went all in on bus rapid transit instead of light rail line. It worked great until a few years ago when the capacity of the ridership exceeded what bus rapid transit could provide (the system just fell apart with overcrowded stations, packed buses etc...) and now they are working on replacing their network with higher capacity light rail and heavy rail lines.

I don't think we will have that problem in the Triangle anytime soon though.......

Old 02-16-2021, 01:16 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,986,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I'm not sure why there's such a fascination with light rail around here or in the US in general but if buses have their own dedicated/separated lanes, it can be just as effective.......up to a certain ridership of course. There's a city in South America (Bogota) that went all in on bus rapid transit instead of light rail line. It worked great until a few years ago when the capacity of the ridership exceeded what bus rapid transit could provide (the system just fell apart with overcrowded stations, packed buses etc...) and now they are working on replacing their network with higher capacity light rail and heavy rail lines.

I don't think we will have that problem in the Triangle anytime soon though.......
i think the problem with BRT is youll never make it seem beyond a poor people's mode of transportation and then its death of a thousand cuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary