Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Sleep is very important. And if its my time to go...when better than in my sleep?!! Besides, only the good die young!
LOL. I grew up in earthquake country and lived through the worst that Los Angeles had to offer. No weather useful radio could alert us of something like that. We lived on the edge everyday. Though when I say that, we weren't living on any edge. Earthquakes were simply an unexpected natural occurrence that wasn't something to stress about. No warning. They come when they come.

Considering how little extreme weather we've experienced thus far in NC, a weather radio would only be a novelty for me. I would only find value in it if I could program it to sound off for only certain types of weather formations within a certain square mile of my current sleeping location (i.e. tornadoes that have formed within, say, 10 miles of my location). Else, I'd rather be living without the paranoia. Now, if I could have a radio that would alert me to paroled or escaped prisoners that walk within a certain footage from my home, I'd be all over that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
LOL. I grew up in earthquake country and lived through the worst that Los Angeles had to offer. No weather useful radio could alert us of something like that. We lived on the edge everyday. Though when I say that, we weren't living on any edge. Earthquakes were simply an unexpected natural occurrence that wasn't something to stress about. No warning. They come when they come.

Considering how little extreme weather we've experienced thus far in NC, a weather radio would only be a novelty for me. I would only find value in it if I could program it to sound off for only certain types of weather formations within a certain square mile of my current sleeping location (i.e. tornadoes that have formed within, say, 10 miles of my location). Else, I'd rather be living without the paranoia. Now, if I could have a radio that would alert me to paroled or escaped prisoners that walk within a certain footage from my home, I'd be all over that.
Now that you mention paranoia...thats what I think of when I think of people with "weather alert" radios!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:28 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Now that you mention paranoia...thats what I think of when I think of people with "weather alert" radios!!!
huh?

We use it so we can go to sleep. And only be alerted when need be.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
huh?

We use it so we can go to sleep. And only be alerted when need be.
I guess my point is that we don't have earthquakes or mud slides in this area. We don't have tornados (except for the one that came in the '80s but not even the weather people expected it) and we don't have hurricanes so what type of weather do you need to be woken out of a sleep for???

Vicki

Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
I guess my point is that we don't have earthquakes or mud slides in this area. We don't have tornados (except for the one that came in the '80s but not even the weather people expected it) and we don't have hurricanes so what type of weather do you need to be woken out of a sleep for???

Vicki
The middle of the night thunderstorms could be one to be woken up for. I know the thunder will surely wake most people up but by the time that happens it maybe to late so I think a weather radio that wakes you up prior to the storm hitting or lets you sleep if there is nothing to wake up for sounds like a good idea to me. But then again I am a 'light' ning type of sleeper, the first flash of bright light and I'm up thinking its daytime.....asking where has the night gone...am I back in college with these short night!!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Vicki
We have had tornado watches. I can think of some right out of the gate that I am thankful for that we were alerted to.

Granted not as many as in say Wayne County, but even 1 watch or warning can be considered enough.

My questioning of the confusion was why you felt people who had weather radios were paranoid? When that is not the case at all.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:

Vicki
That is higly incorrect tornadoes are very common
//www.city-data.com/forum/3728984-post2.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/3729052-post3.html different post

Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM

Well, in the 30 years that I've lived here...we have had many thunderstorms and tornado watches but its not something that I feel that I need to be woken up for. To each his own, right?

Vicki

Old 05-10-2008, 09:45 PM

For sure to each thier own.
But that is not what is coming into play here. I was replying to your comment stipulating your reasoning behind people owning weather radios. And since that was not my case, expressed it as so.
And after 15 years of living here am grateful I own a weather radio. Nothing more, nothing less.

What others choose to do or not do is perfectly acceptable in my view. But I refrain from tossing them all into a pot and generalizing them all as if they are one.

I also refrain from deciding what may be of concern to some as far as severe weather and yet not of concern to others. As you say to each their own and that is for each to decide.

So in conclusion, yes I find my weather radio a handy dandy lil item for severe weather alerts when I am sleeping. Doesn't mean anybody else does.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 PM

I was referring to Caliboy's comment about paranoia. I'm so very sorry that you did not take the joke as it was intended. I realize people get very upset about weather issues but some of us just take life as it is. Where are those smiley faces?

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary