U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2021, 09:00 PM
 
Location: New Hampshire
9 posts, read 5,351 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

About 3 years in the making but my husband and I our listing our home in the Spring planning to move to Raleigh hopefully by June - we're planning to rent first. On our last visit, we checked out 3-4 downtown apartment complexes and concluded complex living probably isn't for us - at least not long term (seemed like a much younger demographic than where we are in our lives now).

I've started searching single family homes to get an idea of the market, but inventory seems low. Which makes me wonder - how far in advance are rental listings posted? If it's ~1.5-2 months - did you make a trip a month before to spend a weekend touring rentals? We planned to airbnb for a couple weeks to find something, but I'm wondering if that's not enough time to find a rental?

Another alternative is a furnished short term rental (found a bunch through Landing, also apt complexes) so we don't have to buy and move stuff multiple times but it's about $3-$500 more per month (we're not bringing anything with us). We're open to short term to be able to buy after having spent more time around.

TLDR; Sorry this is a bit all over. Is it hard to find SFH or Townhomes to rent? Is there typically a season where there may be more inventory? How far in advance do you have find a rental/sign the lease?

This is the part of selling/moving logistics I have the least experience in, and to do it from a distance makes me unsure that I'm considering everything. TIA for input on how other relocators managed .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2021, 09:42 PM
 
1,184 posts, read 956,524 times
Reputation: 1142
When we moved down, we had hoped to find a SFH, but they are trickier to find. The best deals are listed on neighborhood FB groups and the timeline was too tight for us to make it work. We ended up in a big complex for a year and I was nice to live in a brand new space for a short time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 06:03 AM
 
15,224 posts, read 9,641,912 times
Reputation: 53162
OP, how are you searching for homes to rent?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 06:40 AM
 
8,510 posts, read 6,624,831 times
Reputation: 6870
We got our rental sight-unseen, but had a family member that could go take a quick look for us.

I wouldn't make a trip just to scope rentals. With the housing market the way it is, I'd find a rental prior to coming otherwise you may be stuck in an AirBNB for much longer than you expect, or be forced to take a rental that isn't ideal. If you have someone down here you trust to take a look for you then great, if not maybe your realtor would be willing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Fuquay Varina
6,014 posts, read 8,505,404 times
Reputation: 16812
A friend of mine just this week was searching for a sfh to rent. The rental market is as crazy as the sellers market is right now. The rentals were going under contract the same day they were listed according to him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
18,194 posts, read 24,371,166 times
Reputation: 32013
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0msternat0r View Post
Hi everyone,

About 3 years in the making but my husband and I our listing our home in the Spring planning to move to Raleigh hopefully by June - we're planning to rent first. On our last visit, we checked out 3-4 downtown apartment complexes and concluded complex living probably isn't for us - at least not long term (seemed like a much younger demographic than where we are in our lives now).
Considering how difficult it is to find a SFH for rent, I think you might reconsider renting in a complex. Apartments in DT Raleigh will have a younger demographic, but the age range will be much more varied in other locations. There are many complexes that offer short term leases of 3+ months, albeit at a higher rent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 08:48 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
9 posts, read 5,351 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
OP, how are you searching for homes to rent?
I've been looking on Craigslist - hard to parse the scam listings though, Facebook Marketplace, Zillow, Apartments.com, Zumper, Rent.com, Trulia. I've generally found the same listings across all of them so far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 08:50 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
9 posts, read 5,351 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
A friend of mine just this week was searching for a sfh to rent. The rental market is as crazy as the sellers market is right now. The rentals were going under contract the same day they were listed according to him.
That would certainly make doing it from afar trickier!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 08:52 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
9 posts, read 5,351 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
We got our rental sight-unseen, but had a family member that could go take a quick look for us.

I wouldn't make a trip just to scope rentals. With the housing market the way it is, I'd find a rental prior to coming otherwise you may be stuck in an AirBNB for much longer than you expect, or be forced to take a rental that isn't ideal. If you have someone down here you trust to take a look for you then great, if not maybe your realtor would be willing.
That's good that you had someone to help in your search. I think the only way I'd book one sight unseen is to go through a property management company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
When we moved down, we had hoped to find a SFH, but they are trickier to find. The best deals are listed on neighborhood FB groups and the timeline was too tight for us to make it work. We ended up in a big complex for a year and I was nice to live in a brand new space for a short time.
Interesting tip for the neighborhood FB groups, I might try to look into that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
340 posts, read 552,544 times
Reputation: 317
Guessing you don't want to do this, but an option. There are weekly rooms such as: https://raleigh.craigslist.org/roo/d...276286481.html

If you're truly bringing nothing, could work. I moved here with nothing, stayed at a Red Roof Inn a few nights, then found a room for rent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top