Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 20,115 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My house has old wooden windows that I'd like to replace. The west side of the house get pretty hot (yesterday at 65F the front door measured at 220F -- we don't touch the door handle in the summer time)

On that side I plan to put fiberglass windows, as from what I read that would be the way to go.

Can anyone share their experience with fiberglass windows mentioned in the subject line or any other?

Did anyone get a quote recently? Would be nice to get rough estimate. Seem to me the rule-of-thumb is 1k per window. Say ~30k for 30 windows.

Can anyone recommend a contractor?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 12:50 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asd34sfvcc View Post
Can anyone share their experience with fiberglass windows mentioned in the subject line or any other
Since they are national brands, you may get more input on the windows by posting in the House forum
https://www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Old 02-26-2021, 12:58 PM

@don6170 thanks I don't see an option to move or close this thread but I will repost in house forum. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2021, 01:04 PM

376 posts, read 653,112 times
Fiberglass is more than vinyl. I had vinyl at about 400 to 500 a window with Window World. So 1000 or more for fiberglass probably right.

Have you seen Andersen? They use fibrex their own material. A neighbor I believe paid 1200 per window or so.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:14 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Hi there,

My house has old wooden windows that I'd like to replace. The west side of the house get pretty hot (yesterday at 65F the front door measured at 220F -- we don't touch the door handle in the summer time)

On that side I plan to put fiberglass windows, as from what I read that would be the way to go.

Can anyone share their experience with fiberglass windows mentioned in the subject line or any other?

Did anyone get a quote recently? Would be nice to get rough estimate. Seem to me the rule-of-thumb is 1k per window. Say ~30k for 30 windows.

Can anyone recommend a contractor?

Thanks,

220F ???

Is your front door dark, and behind a glass storm door?

Old 02-26-2021, 01:18 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Marvin will be more expensive than Pella. If you are planning to stay in your current house for more than 5 years, go with Marvin, it's worth it. Not in NC, but I have interviewed Marvin and Anderson to replace about 10 1930's original casement windows. I pretty much hated Anderson's salesman, he walks into my house and asks if my husband was around. Suffice it to say I went with Marvin. The products were almost identical, they came with a lifetime warranty. Marvin was slightly cheaper; the customer service was exceptional. They did an excellent job and left my house clean, even though those casement windows are hard to get out. Plus my house walls were all plaster, so they were careful with that as well.

I have to say my energy bill went down substantially after installing these windows. Not sure if it had to do with them being fiberglass, or just being modern and double-pane, but anyway, it was very noticeable drop in electric use. Plus my house stayed very cool in summer.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:03 PM

@MikeJaquish yes (( I noticed yesterday that one door panel popped because the glue melted. It probably was like that for some (the house is 25 y old)

@HatchChile thank you. I've been visited by Anderson back in Philly and had the same experience. They don't seem to have true fiberglass line so I won't be considering them this time around.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
@MikeJaquish yes (( I noticed yesterday that one door panel popped because the glue melted. It probably was like that for some (the house is 25 y old)

@HatchChile thank you. I've been visited by Anderson back in Philly and had the same experience. They don't seem to have true fiberglass line so I won't be considering them this time around.

You have a very efficient solar collector. Take the storm door off.
Paint the door a lighter color. Heat issue solved.

You don't need fibergla$$ replacement windows, unless you have some very specific structural needs. If your house is at a high price range, you might be wise to invest in top dollar windows, which aren't replacement windows, but full replacement of the entire units.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You have a very efficient solar collector. Take the storm door off.
Paint the door a lighter color. Heat issue solved.
Thank you. That exact thought crossed my mind. I even thought to paint it white. But now think it would stand out a bit . Probably light gray would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You don't need fibergla$$ replacement windows, unless you have some very specific structural needs. If your house is at a high price range, you might be wise to invest in top dollar windows, which aren't replacement windows, but full replacement of the entire units.
I see. I need to rethink fiberglass then. I was just afraid that with such temperatures the vinyl will buckle and melt away with years.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you. That exact thought crossed my mind. I even thought to paint it white. But now think it would stand out a bit . Probably light gray would do.

I see. I need to rethink fiberglass then. I was just afraid that with such temperatures the vinyl will buckle and melt away with years.
You should have a lifetime warranty on vinyl stability and color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: