Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 03:15 PM

174 posts, read 194,883 times

Advertisements

4. (Most important question!). I know the Raleigh-Durham leans pretty solidly left, which is fine.
But as republicans, might we feel unwelcome?

Just a note--- Durham Republicans are highly active and reaching out for new members. Meetings are on Zoom now, but we hope to actually be able to see each other "in real life" shortly. Having been an active Republican in NY, IA and CT since 1970... this is refreshing. I have no clue on Wake County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 03:18 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,071,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertiger View Post
As a person who has lived in several states (New England, upper Midwest, California, Deep South), it depends where you will be moving from. You say you are moderate Republican. If you are moving from New Hampshire vs Louisiana, it’s completely different. When I lived in New England, I thought I was a moderate Republican, well, it was a culture shock to see myself I “became” moderate Democrat when I moved to Louisiana. Here in the triangle area, I am more of moderate independent. It’s more civil here.
Oh man, this really resonates with me. I’d describe myself as a moderate leaning conservative. My FiL is so far right extreme (worshipped Rush Limbaugh) that I find myself arguing for the much farther liberal side!

Old 02-28-2021, 04:59 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,187,491 times
I agree that Raleigh is pretty purple. I don’t engage in political discussions with my neighbors generally, but I avoid the ones with Trump signs completely. I think you’ll probably be fine.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,600,330 times
For some reason the 2020 precinct level election map isn't working but here's the map from the 2016 election: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/.../-78.722/41092

Old 02-28-2021, 06:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
Moderate "anything" are welcome here.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,598 times
I would imagine that the pro tip is to retire to the beach and vote in every election without caring who else votes for anything else. After all, you're retired and living at the beach. All good. (you could do the same in SC, FL etc if you really desire a red state and lower taxes)

Old 03-01-2021, 12:16 PM

22 posts, read 30,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertiger View Post
As a person who has lived in several states (New England, upper Midwest, California, Deep South), it depends where you will be moving from. You say you are moderate Republican. If you are moving from New Hampshire vs Louisiana, it’s completely different. When I lived in New England, I thought I was a moderate Republican, well, it was a culture shock to see myself I “became” moderate Democrat when I moved to Louisiana. Here in the triangle area, I am more of moderate independent. It’s more civil here.
Ha - that's funny. I guess that's understandable given the different levels of passion in different areas of the country.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the additional resources .... that should be helpful!

Old 03-01-2021, 12:22 PM

That's helpful, thanks.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,190,136 times
I think that to a conservative, Raleigh will feel like it leans left, not purple. Then again, the OP is a Republican from the Northeast, not the South, and that might make a difference in perception. On paper, most elected officials in Raleigh and Wake are Democrats.
Wake is probably the most politically active county in the state, oftentimes outvoting Mecklenburg Co. by a sizable margin, despite the two counties being nearly identical in population. In both 2016 and 2020, Wake had both the largest number of votes for Hillary/Biden and for Trump/Trump, though both times the Dems carried the county, and the margin of victory for the Dems grew in 2020 to D+26.6.
Like nearly every city/county, there will be parts of the county that are heavily Democrat, Republican, and mixed. It's all going to depend on where you live.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 03-01-2021 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary