Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 11:36 AM

1,204 posts, read 784,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Because political opinions won't matter a hill of beans in the course of one's friendship unless perhaps one or the other is extremely politically active. If I'm a staunch libretarian and my friend is a left leaning liberal, and we enjoy drinking beer or hiking or fishing together, or share a love of the Hurricanes hockey, what good is a discussion on minimum wage or Universal Basic Income or Gun Control going to bring us?

More Importantly, what is it going to matter? Their thinking that UBI is a great idea isn't going to bring it about. That takes a majority of the people electing officials that think it's a good idea. Vilifying them for a policy I don't care for is completely ridiculous.

Good lord, keep your hair on. Okay, fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Hell, I avoid talking about politics with my own husband - and we mostly agree.

Lol, that would be super hard for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 12:55 PM

781 posts, read 747,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
That's odd. Why wouldn't you talk politics with friends? Acquaintances or neighbors, yes, I get it. But friends? No way.
Talking politics is the fastest way to end friendships these days, especially in this current climate and when both parties are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Heck, I'm an agnostic (former Catholic) left leaning moderate who is extremely pro-choice and I don't even talk about abortion with my super Catholic, fellow left leaning moderate friend of 30 years who is extremely pro-life. Why destroy the friendship and pointlessly argue?

Old 03-03-2021, 01:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 784,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Talking politics is the fastest way to end friendships these days, especially in this current climate and when both parties are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Heck, I'm an agnostic (former Catholic) left leaning moderate who is extremely pro-choice and I don't even talk about abortion with my super Catholic, fellow left leaning moderate friend of 30 years who is extremely pro-life. Why destroy the friendship and pointlessly argue?
I guess I am still young enough (under 40) to have friends that I have met in my late 20s in grad school and in 30s that are mostly are on the same page as I am. One of my best friends who is about 10 years older than me, for a while was on the fence about BLM, but we talked a lot. Respectfully, no arguments, but just discussions. About privilege, systemic racism, etc. Our friendship didn't die or we didn't fall apart. His wife is a progressive who has biracial cousins/nieces, so I am pretty sure there was a lot of discussion with her too. I think at some point he came around to see that BLM didn't mean white lives didn't matter, or all cops were evil, and understanding his own privilege.

He is still adamantly against increasing the minimum wage, we talk about it, again he has his own opinions I have my own. It doesn't mean that I do not respect him, or think he is dumb. Even though he wasn't 100% sure what to think about BLM (this is way before this summer), he was absolutely supportive of athletes kneeling and he is an ex-military. He thought it was a peaceful protest and he respected that. So he is a complex man with his own opinion on things. I can talk to him and we can stay in touch and be civil about it. That's why we are friends. I do not discuss politics with strangers, co-workers or neighbors. But I do discuss it with my friends. I won't be friends with people who have absolute opposing beliefs than mine.There should be some major things that we both believe in, value, respect or agree on. Other things, yeah, we can discuss and disagree. When it's done, we can discuss other things.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:28 PM

781 posts, read 747,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I guess I am still young enough (under 40) to have friends that I have met in my late 20s in grad school and in 30s that are mostly are on the same page as I am. One of my best friends who is about 10 years older than me, for a while was on the fence about BLM, but we talked a lot. Respectfully, no arguments, but just discussions. About privilege, systemic racism, etc. Our friendship didn't die or we didn't fall apart. His wife is a progressive who has biracial cousins/nieces, so I am pretty sure there was a lot of discussion with her too. I think at some point he came around to see that BLM didn't mean white lives didn't matter, or all cops were evil, and understanding his own privilege.

He is still adamantly against increasing the minimum wage, we talk about it, again he has his own opinions I have my own. It doesn't mean that I do not respect him, or think he is dumb. Even though he wasn't 100% sure what to think about BLM (this is way before this summer), he was absolutely supportive of athletes kneeling and he is an ex-military. He thought it was a peaceful protest and he respected that. So he is a complex man with his own opinion on things. I can talk to him and we can stay in touch and be civil about it. That's why we are friends. I do not discuss politics with strangers, co-workers or neighbors. But I do discuss it with my friends. I won't be friends with people who have absolute opposing beliefs than mine.There should be some major things that we both believe in, value, respect or agree on. Other things, yeah, we can discuss and disagree. When it's done, we can discuss other things.
I'm probably around the same age as you. I did just have a talk last weekend with a friend here that is a bit older. She was getting into student loan debt relief and why it should be made possible for her kid. We weren't on the same page, but didn't have a blow up. Certain subjects are more hot button though and probably better not to discuss.

But yes, agree to stay away from political discussions in general with neighbors and co-workers here in the south. I haven't really had any bad experiences with hardcore Trumpers here, but I have in other red states.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:39 PM

23 posts, read 16,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marls00 View Post
My husband and I would like to retire to North Carolina in a year or two. We have visited a couple of times and are planning another trip in April, concentrating on the Raleigh-Durham area and Wilmington. I have a few questions for people who live or have recently lived in either area.

So we consider ourselves pretty much common sense republicans that have moderate views on some issues, more conservative views on others. Our views are solid and well reasoned. We are fine living in an area with different viewpoints, but we don't want to live in a place where one side or the other feels they can't speak comfortably (as long as it's done respectfully) or where political in-fighting has taken hold and creates a charged, less than civil atmosphere. The northeast can be horrible when it comes to this subject. I know there are many factors to consider, such as who we associate with, what kinds of activities we may participate in, and how often we ourselves choose to engage in political conversation (which isn't much), but areas and communities do have a general culture when it comes to politics and that's when I'm trying to probe here.

So I'd appreciate any comments on the political culture of your area as follows:

1. Is politics a big topic that you can't get away from?

2. Does it feel very much one-sided?

3. If there is a back-and-forth dialogue, is it generally moderate and respectful in nature?

4. (Most important question!). I know the Raleigh-Durham leans pretty solidly left, which is fine.
But as republicans, might we feel unwelcome?

I would ask that any comments be instructive and not provocative.

Sad that these questions even need to be asked. Thank you!

So surprised to see this thread here. New to “city-data”- joined this because recently purchased a home in Wilmington- future retirement home. Currently, I’m mostly living in the northeast and involved with local Republican politics.

Close friend lived in the Raleigh-Durham area for a few years. He met liberals, moderates and conservatives. Generally, he felt people were accepting regarding politics and were “middle of the road”.

I find the area of Wilmington I’m in, leans right- was surprised to see the last presidential race to go in favor of the Democratic candidate: New Hanover county. We’re a city, so no surprise that there’s a mix of politics there. I’m an avid golfer, and golfers lean right, so it might have to do with my circle of friends and acquaintances.

As someone from the northeast moving to the south, you’ve selected 2 areas that have a good mix of people from all parts of the country. You’d be happy in either area regarding your politics.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:24 PM

6,299 posts, read 16,124,426 times
Raleigh is liberal. There's nothing purple about it.

After the last election, people are more likely to discuss politics, I believe, because the outcomes affect us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary