Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 08:24 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,219 times

Advertisements

Worth mentioning that it’s not just Centennial now. You’ve got the big Red Hat building downtown. Citrix is down there. Cary will have 2 large campuses right off I-40 next to the Raleigh border, in SAS and Epic.

There’s still tons of jobs in RTP and right outside, but the growth is definitely more elsewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 03:05 PM

61 posts, read 51,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
This is something I don't really understand. Johnston County is pretty far from RTP.... but is there a reason why it is growing so fast compared to other semi-rural counties around the Triangle?
If you are in Western JoCo, getting to downtown Raleigh and RTP will be easy as pie when the 540 loop and 40 expansion projects are done.

And right now real estate is dirt cheap compared to A/C/M.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:08 PM

70 posts, read 68,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfortytwo View Post
If you are in Western JoCo, getting to downtown Raleigh and RTP will be easy as pie when the 540 loop and 40 expansion projects are done.

And right now real estate is dirt cheap compared to A/C/M.
What is A/C/M ? Also, could you share more about I40 expansion? I am only aware of 540 loop. You people think we all know all the lingo!

I think I got A/C/M: Apex/Cary/Morrisville (but he forgot HS/FV)

Last edited by ferner1; 03-11-2021 at 06:19 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 06:18 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,256,808 times
In the early 1990's I was driving a lot between CH and eastern NC along US 70. No bypass for Clayton or Smithfield back then. I think during that time US-70A (or something with a name like that) opened up and you could bypass all the misspelled 'boiled peanut' signs and not hit a traffic light until Goldsboro after going through Wilsons Mills. And at the time the signs either said Wilsons Mills, Wilson's Mill, or Wilson's Mills (Wilsons' Mills might have been represented).

Sometimes I would take I-40 east to I-95 north to US 70 to avoid Clayton and Smithfield. The first time I was on the Clayton bypass (about 10 years ago) I was amazed by it.

Now when I see the morning traffic report, I'm so happy I don't have to do that drive.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:02 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
It just seems like that area always has been more developed. And, One can get to a bunch of smaller regional cities from Johnston County in addition to Raleigh (Smithfield, Goldsboro, Wilson.)...Pre-Covid at least I drove all over the Carolinas and Virginia. Driving up to South Boston, as an example, there's Nothin....Driving to Goldsboro, there's a lot more.

I notice the same thing with my hunting leases. I had a lease an hour north of here, and a lease an hour east of here.
The lease an hour east of here is rural.
The lease an hour north of here felt remote.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:05 AM

873 posts, read 1,016,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It just seems like that area always has been more developed. And, One can get to a bunch of smaller regional cities from Johnston County in addition to Raleigh (Smithfield, Goldsboro, Wilson.)...Pre-Covid at least I drove all over the Carolinas and Virginia. Driving up to South Boston, as an example, there's Nothin....Driving to Goldsboro, there's a lot more.

I notice the same thing with my hunting leases. I had a lease an hour north of here, and a lease an hour east of here.
The lease an hour east of here is rural.
The lease an hour north of here felt remote.
Very true. There's virtually no amenities like restaurants, gas stations, hotels--heck, anything that looks like it has human beings working--for the last 20 mies of I-85 until the state line. Vance and Warren counties have been losing population this decade as well, and neither one of them is that crowded in the first place. The biggest municipality there, Henderson, has 5,000 less residents than Carrboro even though it's 1.5 square miles larger. Between that and the sparse exits for 40+ miles between South Hill and Petersburg--only one of which has anything more than a gas station--and the trees in the median, going I-85 northward from Granville until it ends in Petersburg is a slog.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:01 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
1. I continue to insist that it's mostly about city water & sewer. Raleigh's water system extends down towards Clayton because its sewage plant is on the Neuse, halfway between Knightdale & Clayton. As a result, Clayton has connections to both Raleigh and JoCo's water systems. (Johnston has a water plant on the Neuse, near Wilsons Mills, above Smithfield and Selma.)

Even though Franklin and Granville counties are near Falls Lake, its water supplies are much smaller: Franklinton has two small ponds, and Youngsville has just negotiated an interconnect to Raleigh. Butner has a small reservoir upriver. You have to get all the way to Henderson to find anyone who draws from Kerr Lake.

2. Clayton is quite close to downtown Raleigh, and Raleigh is the heavyweight in the region -- its side of the metro has 140% more jobs. (Just DTR is a job center rivaling RTP, with ~50K jobs.) Butner is kinda close to downtown Durham, but not all that close to RTP until I-885 is finished.

3. Johnston County has I-95, which makes a much stronger draw for logistics/industrial jobs than I-85 or US-1 -- e.g., Amazon's big regional distribution center is in Garner.

4. As others have mentioned, JoCo has more smaller cities beyond it. A dual-income couple can split commutes between Raleigh and Wilson or Fayetteville; someone who grew up in eastern NC and went to NCSU can move "closer to family" without leaving the Triangle job market.

5. Capital Boulevard is not a fast route to Raleigh, and the Falls Lake watershed is a rather big barrier. Similarly, Jordan Lake has been a substantial barrier to eastern Chatham's growth.

6. Reputation: Raleigh favored the northwest, but that growth eventually ran into Falls Lake. It spilled around to the northeast with Wakefield, but that side hasn't grown as fast as the west.

For Granville county, Durham has always favored the southwest. Attempts to pull its growth north, like Treyburn, have fizzled. Butner has always drawn the short end of economic development; yes, it has government jobs... at prisons.

Last edited by paytonc; 03-12-2021 at 10:39 PM..

Old 03-12-2021, 10:31 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
Went ahead and ran an LEHD map for Raleigh (2018, all jobs):

Three more points:
1. Pretty obvious that Johnston has more job density/spillover than Franklin.
2. Even to get to Midtown Raleigh, Clayton is about as far (& on freeways!) as Franklin County. Sure enough, without traffic, North Hills to Clayton is 21 min, to Youngsville it's 28 min.
3. WakeMed is a bigger deal than I thought, and it's really close to Clayton.

Yes, there are some data quirks. It appears that every State of NC job has been mapped onto the State Controller's office behind Highwoods, rather than their actual office address. There are also mysterious big employers mapped onto some woods at Old Stage Road in Garner, and the Raleigh Country Club.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:38 AM

545 posts, read 1,605,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

Yes, there are some data quirks. It appears that every State of NC job has been mapped onto the State Controller's office behind Highwoods, rather than their actual office address.

That's probably because the address on our W2s is State Controller's Office Beacon Payroll rather than our individual Departments.State Controller's office is on Rush Street, near Highwoods.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:26 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferner1 View Post
Also, could you share more about I40 expansion? I am only aware of 540 loop.
Here ya go.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i40-n...s/default.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary