Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 02:04 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,302,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
So what's the best way to know you have an experienced agent?
ASK QUESTIONS...How long have you been in Real Estate? How many buyer transactions have you closed this year? Last year? How many seller transactions have you closed? What are you going to do for me? Are you going to answer my calls/emails/texts or do you have a team that I'll be sent to? Are you familiar on how to help me buy new construction? Those are just a few! I think Mike had a previous thread on city data on some good questions to ask an Agent.

Trust yourself to know how you feel with what this person is telling you? Ask friends/family for referrals and ask why they liked that person and felt like she did a great job for them.

Don't sign ANYTHING until you feel comfortable with that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 06:57 PM

740 posts, read 478,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I *think* it's 64 to Wake County, not just Raleigh.

It begs that simple question:

Where do that extra 2,000 people live every single month? It requires 500-700 "homes", minimum.

in September 2006, there were 6,700 new homes sold in Wake County via MLS. Back then, there was a significant portion that were presales and never made the MLS, but it wasn't 50%. We even counted days on market, and the median for new construction was 120 days (4 months, relatively balanced).

Sept'06 was the absolute peak. By the time we got to Sept'08 (and our market was still doing well) we were down to 4,800.

As of today, we STILL haven't sold 6,700 new homes in a year since (and I daresay the % that never get listed is MUCH lower, because of the 0 DOM for new builds and the requirement they list homes on MLS if they're going to be a member of MLS).

And if "new" people don't have "new" supply, then they've got to get "crammed into" existing supply + new rental properties. I don't see an easy source for growth in apartment units over time.
Thanks for those numbers. Really thought-provoking -- where indeed are all those extra people going. And If that trajectory continues, what's ahead in 25-50 years.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:24 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,291,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well... The thing is...
Quick sales turn that inventory fast.
It's like Arnold delivers 5,000 loaves a bread each week to Wegmans.
Last year, they sold 4800 loaves/week.
2021, they sell 5000 by Sunday. No "Active" bread until the next delivery.
well, spring 2019 new listings was actually below spring 2018, and then right when it looked like the bakers were firing up production (Q1 20 > 2019 or 2018), Covid hit. 2020>2021>2019

Old 03-17-2021, 08:38 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,291,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Yes, annexation is voluntary, but look at what's happening in the northwest (Raleigh has spilled over into Durham County) or the northeast (the city limits go all the way to NC 98 and US 1). None of that was involuntary, and there's a lot of raw land still out there. All that's required is for a developer to call his or her pals at City Hall and bang, the city limits expand again.
The entire NW quadrant of Wake County (outside 540, west of FoN) is in the Falls Lake watershed, limiting development.

Wake Co can try to figure out what to do with all the farmland between Knightdale, Wake Forest/Rolesville and Zebulon.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:04 PM

459 posts, read 376,304 times
Quote:
The entire NW quadrant of Wake County (outside 540, west of FoN) is in the Falls Lake watershed, limiting development.

Wake Co can try to figure out what to do with all the farmland between Knightdale, Wake Forest/Rolesville and Zebulon.
That's already figured out. There's a future annexation plan out there that sets in place where Wake County cities can accept annexation request. City of Raleigh will assume a huge chuck of Wake County between Garner and Knightdale while Knightdale and Garner will fill out their areas. Fuquay-Varina assume a huge portion of South Wake county.

Still don't know why Garner or KD even exists they're basically South Raleigh and East Raleigh and taxes aren't even that much lower if at all.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:50 PM

4,291 posts, read 4,745,677 times
Quote:
It doesn't limit it absolutely. It just makes it more expensive. Also, it's incorrect that everything north of 540 drains into Falls Lake. From the I-540/Leesville intersection westward, everything south of Leesville Rd drains into Crabtree Creek. That's why Brier Creek could be built with no impact to the Falls watershed, and that's why there is a feeding frenzy along Leesville Rd going as far west as 70.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:04 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,748,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Thanks for those numbers. Really thought-provoking -- where indeed are all those extra people going.
Apartments or crashing with friends/family until they find their own housing. I don't think there's a huge mystery about this.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:27 AM

425 posts, read 422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Thanks for those numbers. Really thought-provoking -- where indeed are all those extra people going. And If that trajectory continues, what's ahead in 25-50 years.
When supply is constrained and population growing, some "employed homeless" at the edges get inventive... They find undercover housing which is not advertised anywhere.

Some take very crappy properties which have been vacant for years and aren't really in shape to be rented, that get rented anyway.

They stay in garages, tool sheds, or sleep in the back storage room of their workplaces. I remember a childhood friend that couldn't quite figure out his future, working entry level jobs - (a bakery, a tire store) sleeping in such places.

When I was in college I'd sometimes hear about students getting caught by security trying to sleep overnight in a study cube. Or resort to renting a comfy chair at an all-night cybercafe, and paying computer time to sit there until morning.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:52 AM

119 posts, read 81,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
When supply is constrained and population growing, some "employed homeless" at the edges get inventive... They find undercover housing which is not advertised anywhere.

Some take very crappy properties which have been vacant for years and aren't really in shape to be rented, that get rented anyway.

They stay in garages, tool sheds, or sleep in the back storage room of their workplaces. I remember a childhood friend that couldn't quite figure out his future, working entry level jobs - (a bakery, a tire store) sleeping in such places.

When I was in college I'd sometimes hear about students getting caught by security trying to sleep overnight in a study cube. Or resort to renting a comfy chair at an all-night cybercafe, and paying computer time to sit there until morning.
What you describe is a very, very low percentage of the transplants to this area.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:28 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,525,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
What you describe is a very, very low percentage of the transplants to this area.
I've rented beds in multiple cities that had either homes or apartments outfitted with a massive number of bunk beds. One apartment in Crystal City (DC) had 17 beds - 8 bunk beds per room and the last was in the coat closet.

While I did not live there full-time myself, many lower paid workers did, in order to afford being able to live there for what the jobs paid.

Not saying that is Raleigh but there is a large segment of the population that isn't C-D upper middle class, $400k+ homeowners. And Raleigh will only get worse as the income divide continues to grow between tech and non-tech workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary