Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 08:54 AM

185 posts, read 201,118 times

Advertisements

Sounds like u describe what the flight crews call Crash Pads. I use to be a flight attendant in DC and had several crew mates that would stay in apts like these. I myself liked privacy so I always rented a cheap hotel at the Americana Hotel lmao.. I barely wanted to move on that bed, didn't even get under the covers lmao. But at least I had my own bathroom and privacy !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 09:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,541,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
Sounds like u describe what the flight crews call Crash Pads. I use to be a flight attendant in DC and had several crew mates that would stay in apts like these. I myself liked privacy so I always rented a cheap hotel at the Americana Hotel lmao.. I barely wanted to move on that bed, didn't even get under the covers lmao. But at least I had my own bathroom and privacy !
In this case they were ramp and gate agents

As cheap as the Americana was, spending $2,000/month on a hotel was out of the question for the full time employees living there.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:41 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,310,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
It doesn't limit it absolutely. It just makes it more expensive. Also, it's incorrect that everything north of 540 drains into Falls Lake. From the I-540/Leesville intersection westward, everything south of Leesville Rd drains into Crabtree Creek. That's why Brier Creek could be built with no impact to the Falls watershed, and that's why there is a feeding frenzy along Leesville Rd going as far west as 70.
you are correct. there's a relatively small polygon of land west of Leesville/540 down around to 70 and the County line that is not in the Falls watershed. There appears to be 1 landowner with 90 acres that would be attractive for a decent-sized development.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 5,559,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you are correct. there's a relatively small polygon of land west of Leesville/540 down around to 70 and the County line that is not in the Falls watershed. There appears to be 1 landowner with 90 acres that would be attractive for a decent-sized development.
And from the back deck of those theoretical new homes....residents will be able to wave to their out of town guests and said guests wave back from their window-seats as they are landing at RDU!

Old 03-20-2021, 04:32 PM

9,157 posts, read 14,834,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Baldwin touches on it when she mentions City property, County property, and even State property.

What is holding new construction back? It's clearly not demand, and it's clearly not that construction prices have gotten so high that consumers can't afford them.

It's LAND.

So what does the City have, the County have, and the State have? A lot of land that they don't need. And it is FREE land. And by the way, who controls the zoning in the City? The City Council.

So, let's take Old Rex Hospital as an example. 16 acres that's theoretically "for sale" (or was, under McCrory's plans). Right on a thoroughfare/transit route. Walkable to shopping/amenities/park. At "just" 100 units/acre (what private developers get approved for 3-5 stories) that's 1,600 units and approximately 4,000 people living there. But you're the City, and you make the zoning decisions. Zone it for 12 stories and get 3-4x the units.

Want to get really crazy? Buy 34 acres from the Museum of Art at the corner of Wade/Blue Ridge. There's a surface lot on about 1/5 of that.
I can’t wait. The second they do anything with that old Rex property so many people are going to whine up a storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
And from the back deck of those theoretical new homes....residents will be able to wave to their out of town guests and said guests wave back from their window-seats as they are landing at RDU!
Hey, living near the airport has its advantages. I get to look out from my back yard and see planes landing (we are not directly under the flight path in Savannah, but close). And way back in the day when my wife used to have to travel every few weeks for work, she could call me when they said it was OK to turn the phones on and I could leave the house taking my sweet and beat her to the curb most of the time. Plus when we travel together a cab is super cheap!

Old 03-20-2021, 08:31 PM

6,420 posts, read 5,559,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I can’t wait. The second they do anything with that old Rex property so many people are going to whine up a storm.

Hey, living near the airport has its advantages. I get to look out from my back yard and see planes landing (we are not directly under the flight path in Savannah, but close). And way back in the day when my wife used to have to travel every few weeks for work, she could call me when they said it was OK to turn the phones on and I could leave the house taking my sweet and beat her to the curb most of the time. Plus when we travel together a cab is super cheap!
When I was a kid up through most of elementary school we lived in Dominion Park which is basically about as "wave to the airline passengers and they'll wave back" as you can get. One of my best friends back then lived across the street from us and his mom was a flight attendant for Midway (remember them!?) and would legitimately page his dad (remember pagers?!) when she landed on the last leg of a shift and comment on seeing us in one or the other's yard.

Granted in hindsight I could see that being a joke/pulling our 7 year old legs. But it would technically be possible!

Old 03-28-2021, 06:39 PM

6,299 posts, read 16,132,920 times
The mayor of Raleigh does not make decisions or statements based on statistics or on the needs of residents. Her actions are astounding.

I've "attended" -- virtually-- every single council meeting the past year as well as their two-day "retreat" this year.

It is 100 percent clear that she always makes decisions in favor of real estate developers. Always.

Last year, she was awarded a job as a business development person with a construction company weeks after she awarded them a multi-million-dollar city contract. Her job with the construction company is to find business with municipalities. She clearly favors that job more than her mayoral job.

Her biggest campaign donors are real estate developers. In essence, they "pay" her through campaign donations, and she "works for them" by approving zoning requests that are seriously bad for city residents (and the residents have fought them very thoroughly and professionally, but the mayor ignores residents).

She continues to ignore the good advice of the Planning Commission members...repeatedly. I admire the commission members for not quitting.

It's all very disturbing. Everyone needs to pay closer attention to local politics and DO talk about it with friends, family, and neighbors. It affects all of our lives. (And in this case, party designation doesn't have anything to do with it -- BEHAVIOR is everything.)

One of the first things she did (and her buddies on the council) was to abolish support for Citizen Advisory Councils. Those monthly meetings, representing different parts of Raleigh, allowed citizens to obtain information on a variety of topics, including rezoning issues. The mayor -- and the real estate developers -- wanted nothing to do with resident input into their plans. So they abolished the budget and promised that a consultant would come up with something better. The consultant was paid $72,000 for a ten-month contract, and there's nothing to replace the councils yet. Nothing. And the consultant has said in so many words to bring back the citizen advisory councils. It's insane.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-28-2021 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 04:15 AM

4,295 posts, read 4,754,629 times
I don't disagree with anything you say, but what you see is what you get. MAB has kept no secrets about her relations with the development community, and she had been on City Council for a decade. Every voter knew or could have known her philosophy.

Of course, MAB won the mayor's race with only 38% of the vote. The second-place finisher, who got 31%, declined a runoff. I wouldn't say that her reelection this year (assuming the 2020 Census results eventually come in) is certain. But the question is, who will run against her.

As someone who attended some of my CAC meetings, I believe CACs were a flawed mechanism. But you raise fair questions about the supposed replacement for CACs. Meanwhile, the operative phrase at City Hall is "Build, Baby, Build".

Old 03-29-2021, 07:19 AM

6,662 posts, read 5,628,706 times
It's what you get when you make city council of a large city like Raleigh a part-time position - you either get rich people who have money/time to spare, retired people who are out of touch with most of the city, or people who have to take on secondary jobs that may or may not involve a conflict of interest.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:59 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,310,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The mayor of Raleigh does not make decisions or statements based on statistics or on the needs of residents. Her actions are astounding.

I've "attended" -- virtually-- every single council meeting the past year as well as their two-day "retreat" this year.

It is 100 percent clear that she always makes decisions in favor of real estate developers. Always.

Last year, she was awarded a job as a business development person with a construction company weeks after she awarded them a multi-million-dollar city contract. Her job with the construction company is to find business with municipalities. She clearly favors that job more than her mayoral job.

Her biggest campaign donors are real estate developers. In essence, they "pay" her through campaign donations, and she "works for them" by approving zoning requests that are seriously bad for city residents (and the residents have fought them very thoroughly and professionally, but the mayor ignores residents).

She continues to ignore the good advice of the Planning Commission members...repeatedly. I admire the commission members for not quitting.

It's all very disturbing. Everyone needs to pay closer attention to local politics and DO talk about it with friends, family, and neighbors. It affects all of our lives. (And in this case, party designation doesn't have anything to do with it -- BEHAVIOR is everything.)

One of the first things she did (and her buddies on the council) was to abolish support for Citizen Advisory Councils. Those monthly meetings, representing different parts of Raleigh, allowed citizens to obtain information on a variety of topics, including rezoning issues. The mayor -- and the real estate developers -- wanted nothing to do with resident input into their plans. So they abolished the budget and promised that a consultant would come up with something better. The consultant was paid $72,000 for a ten-month contract, and there's nothing to replace the councils yet. Nothing. And the consultant has said in so many words to bring back the citizen advisory councils. It's insane.
the Mayor of Raleigh doesn't unilaterally do many of the things you're claiming she does. Does she have an outsized influence with a Council largely of fresh faces? Possibly. Is everyone on that Council a Democrat, while evil "developers" are almost uniformly Republicans?

Does my giving David Knight (who I have a personal relationship with) $100 make him beholden to the "real estate cabal"?

Is trying to spend $300MM+ on Dix Park doing anything for the developers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary