Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 07:45 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times

Advertisements

There are laws the city officials must follow. Someone can get sued by the developers for not following them. The best recourse is to not allow zoning changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 08:20 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the Mayor of Raleigh doesn't unilaterally do many of the things you're claiming she does. Does she have an outsized influence with a Council largely of fresh faces? Possibly. Is everyone on that Council a Democrat, while evil "developers" are almost uniformly Republicans?

Does my giving David Knight (who I have a personal relationship with) $100 make him beholden to the "real estate cabal"?

Is trying to spend $300MM+ on Dix Park doing anything for the developers?
If you go back a ways in lovebrentwood's post history he's had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about the Council and city government for a while, which I think stems from an issue with a sewer easement the city was entitled to.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:22 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The best recourse is to not allow zoning changes.
That makes zero sense because cities are not static and constantly evolve over time with the economy, technology, etc. We don't know what 10 years from now will really offer us and can only best plan for it. We could be absurdly wrong and locking ourselves in forever would be futile.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:19 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Just saw a presentation today: active listings in Raleigh are down 2/3 vs. February 2020, one of the 3 sharpest drops in the US.

Coming soon have anything to do with it? I have seen a number of homes in my neighborhood sell and never list or go on the market and undercontract the same/next day.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:32 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Coming soon have anything to do with it? I have seen a number of homes in my neighborhood sell and never list or go on the market and undercontract the same/next day.
In a buyer's market, Coming Soon makes sense. Its just another way of getting the home seen by more people before it goes live. Marketing.

A few weeks ago, I put a Coming Soon sign on my newest listing. Before the guys could finish installing the sign, my phone was ringing. Agents asking questions. The next day I put the listing as coming soon into MLS. From that point on, my phone was crazy...Agents and Buyers calling wondering when the photos were going into MLS. Wanting to know when they could see the house, etc.

A couple of days later (before photographer could even get to the house), I had THREE OFFERS! Since Agents can't show the coming soon homes, these were SIGHT UNSEEN offers. No photos in MLS yet and no measurements in MLS yet.

Sellers DID accept one of the three offers. The price was too good to pass up, Buyer offered to pay the difference between list price and price they offered IF the home didn't appraise, buyer agreed to NO repairs (home was only 6 years old) and buyer offered a high due diligence fee.

When I changed MLS status from Coming Soon to Pending, the DOM shows up as 0.

We close next week! Photographer also goes next week!

I have 2 new listings coming up. I won't be using Coming Soon. Sellers and I discussed it. I'd rather have the measurements done, photos done and allow showings. Crazy housing market!

Old 04-02-2021, 08:22 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
In a buyer's market, Coming Soon makes sense. Its just another way of getting the home seen by more people before it goes live. Marketing.

A few weeks ago, I put a Coming Soon sign on my newest listing. Before the guys could finish installing the sign, my phone was ringing. Agents asking questions. The next day I put the listing as coming soon into MLS. From that point on, my phone was crazy...Agents and Buyers calling wondering when the photos were going into MLS. Wanting to know when they could see the house, etc.

A couple of days later (before photographer could even get to the house), I had THREE OFFERS! Since Agents can't show the coming soon homes, these were SIGHT UNSEEN offers. No photos in MLS yet and no measurements in MLS yet.

Sellers DID accept one of the three offers. The price was too good to pass up, Buyer offered to pay the difference between list price and price they offered IF the home didn't appraise, buyer agreed to NO repairs (home was only 6 years old) and buyer offered a high due diligence fee.

When I changed MLS status from Coming Soon to Pending, the DOM shows up as 0.

We close next week! Photographer also goes next week!

I have 2 new listings coming up. I won't be using Coming Soon. Sellers and I discussed it. I'd rather have the measurements done, photos done and allow showings. Crazy housing market!
Good on you.

I am over the "coming soon straight to pending" trend we've seen now. Especially with no pictures. This also has implications for appraisal issues as the comp is harder to use.

Coming Soon came from the best of intentions and has practical uses that can mutually benefit all parties. But not in this market.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Good on you.

I am over the "coming soon straight to pending" trend we've seen now. Especially with no pictures. This also has implications for appraisal issues as the comp is harder to use.

Coming Soon came from the best of intentions and has practical uses that can mutually benefit all parties. But not in this market.
AGREE!

That is why I'm sending photographer over next week even though home is sold! Photos will appear 3 days before closing but that will help next Agent who is looking for comps.

And, why I'm not using Coming Soon on my next listing! But, as you know, sellers make the decisions! Most sellers understand the pros and cons and it is still up to them as to what WE DO!

I do understand why Buyer's Agents are making offers before home is out of coming soon. I had clients that lived in their home for 2 years. Loved the neighborhood. Knew ALL the floor plans. Home across the street came on market as coming soon. It was larger than their current home. They wanted to make offer before it went active. They knew the floor plan and walked past the house (stalked it) at night, looking into windows so knew what the kitchen looked like! We made offer. It was accepted.

New agents in my office ask HOW to get buyers/sellers. They want to pay for their leads. I tell them to walk around neighborhoods. Talk to people. Explain the market. Show potential sellers what homes in their neighborhoods are selling for. Believe it or not, some people have NO IDEA what their home is worth and if they are even thinking about selling, meeting a Real Estate Agent that is familiar with their neighborhood will help them make that decision to sell. And yet...many of the newbies would rather not put in the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary