Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2021, 02:15 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Fair enough on the walking trails and outdoor concerts and such, it is definitely a nice space. I just personally would love to have it near the history and science museums to have a little museum district. But it's not like it's far from DTR or anything, 10-15 mins tops.

Looks like there is a joint in Richmond literally called "Balkan Restaurant" about 15 mins west of the art museum. We will be there!!
Speaking of Balkan restaurants, have you ever gone to Ambar in Washington DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 02:31 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Speaking of Balkan restaurants, have you ever gone to Ambar in Washington DC?
I have not, but it's actually on my short list! My wife and I were actually supposed to go back in January but when the whole insurrection thing happened we postponed it. Can't wait til we do though, going to make a weekend trip out it and stay in a bnb in Capitol Hill

Old 03-19-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I have not, but it's actually on my short list! My wife and I were actually supposed to go back in January but when the whole insurrection thing happened we postponed it. Can't wait til we do though, going to make a weekend trip out it and stay in a bnb in Capitol Hill
It's one of the best places I've eaten at! I didn't go to the Capital Hill location (went to the one in Arlington) but I did the all you can eat option and spent 2 hours there trying almost everything off their menu

(Not a Balkan restaurant but Rose's Luxury right near the Capitol Hill Ambar is worth the visit as well if they are open)

Old 03-21-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
It's one of the best places I've eaten at! I didn't go to the Capital Hill location (went to the one in Arlington) but I did the all you can eat option and spent 2 hours there trying almost everything off their menu

(Not a Balkan restaurant but Rose's Luxury right near the Capitol Hill Ambar is worth the visit as well if they are open)
I'm totally hoping to go this spring or summer! We went to the Balkan Restaurant in Richmond today after our time at the VMFA. The restaurant was pretty decent, had a good selection of Bulgarian and Serbian wine which was interesting. Ambar looks quite a bit better haha. Wish we had some eastern European restaurants here. I know of the Baltic Bites food truck but...I think that's about it.

VMFA was great though. Their "ancient" collection was seriously impressive. To see Sumerian and Assyrian and Roman artifacts was something I really enjoyed. Glad we went...Richmond is a very cool city.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:19 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Agreed. I am the exact opposite of liking newness. I crave history and historical sites. I've been working on my family's genealogy 30 years. I grew up in a town outside Philadelphia that was formed in 1684. I still remember marching in the tricentennial parade our town had in 1984, a mere 8 years after celebrating our country's bicentennial in the city where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed.

But we Northeasterners only like newness and don't care about history.
I think that was the guy's point. Seeing as though there are plenty of historic urban cities in the NE, why would you guys uproot to a new part of the country and proritize living in its more historic cities than other, more fundamental considerations, such as the performance of the economy, quality of public schools, taxes, etc? Charleston is the most historic Southern city that has been experiencing an onslaught of growth from translants for about two decades now. It had long been popular with wealthy Northerners wanting one of the historic mansions on the peninsula or something more modern with luxury trimmings directly along the coast, but now all the suburban soccer moms and helicopter dads have followed suit--and they are by far going straight for the suburbs.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:25 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I’ve always enjoyed my visits to Raleigh. I was always hanging out with friends that were locals so I feel like I got to see/do the “cool†things on my visits.

Back in the day the food co-op in Carrboro blew my mind. I went into their new location downtown this Thanksgiving. I was very jealous of your very nice grocery store right in the heart of downtown. Our Elwood Thompson kinda caught up with it but it took 15 years lol. Saw lots of shows around Chapel Hill in the early aughts. Spent a few weekends in the late 90’s partying downtown.
Co-ops in the Triangle area are absolutely great. I've lived in many states and visited for work (for 3-6 month periods) many more, so hands down some of the best coops, CSAs and farmer's markets are right here. What is great that those shops not only survive but also strive here, which means a lot of people support them and their mission. Which says something because we have so many big box grocery stores here too. The produce usually comes from nearby farms, so you know everything is pretty much local, especially if you eat seasonally.

So do not feel bad if your local coop is not as great as Weaver St Market, for example.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:28 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Quote:
Despite NCMA's awful location
Au contraire. I love the location. Going downtown is a PITA for the 85% of Wake County that lives outside 440. More so, for people in Durham, Chapel Hill, and outlying counties.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Au contraire. I love the location. Going downtown is a PITA for the 85% of Wake County that lives outside 440. More so, for people in Durham, Chapel Hill, and outlying counties.
Yeah I suppose it's a more convenient-to-get-to location, but IMO it's a boring and un-interesting location. You can't really do anything else in the area other than the museum. Admittedly the outdoor space is nice to have and that would be more difficult to implement downtown.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:03 AM

I don't mind NCMA's location because without it there wouldn't be the museum park along with it (though I do hate that parts of the park are located right next to 440/Wade Avenue)

Old 03-24-2021, 10:28 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Realistically the site for NCMA was chosen because the State already owned two square miles along Blue Ridge Road... the former youth prison, the NCSU vet school and faculty club, the SHP buildings, the fairgrounds, and miscellaneous offices, labs, warehouses, and military facilities west of Blue Ridge.

Same reasoning was used for ESA/RBC/PNC. Likewise the DHHS buildings and Farmer's Market on the former Dix site, which at its peak was about 4 square miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary