Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2022, 02:26 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I have not, but it's actually on my short list! My wife and I were actually supposed to go back in January but when the whole insurrection thing happened we postponed it. Can't wait til we do though, going to make a weekend trip out it and stay in a bnb in Capitol Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Speaking of Balkan restaurants, have you ever gone to Ambar in Washington DC?
We have now officially been to Ambar, when we had a long weekend in DC a few months ago. What a great restaurant! It was fun trying all the different dishes they had...I don't remember the names, but the sausage and mustard was mmmm good. I REALLY wish we had something similar in the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 02:54 PM

771 posts, read 627,484 times
I’ve been to the VMFA many times, but I still haven’t been to Maymont! I’ll go up there sometime this summer.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:59 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
Quote:
We have now officially been to Ambar, when we had a long weekend in DC a few months ago. What a great restaurant! It was fun trying all the different dishes they had...I don't remember the names, but the sausage and mustard was mmmm good. I REALLY wish we had something similar in the Triangle.
Glad you liked it! I'm not sure if they still have the all you can eat Balkan Experience but I sat there and tried a little bit of everything.

Old 06-04-2022, 02:30 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,247,883 times
Some of you who have been here about as long as I have might remember a certain Richmond poster who used to hang out in the General US forum who, uh, let's just say was a big fan of Richmond and wasn't afraid to let everyone know. He also would shamelessly promote his music. Whenever I see Richmond mentioned on this forum or on the news or something, my mind goes to that crazy poster I kind of miss that guy and his entertaining rants about, things, the General US forum just isn't the same w/o him.

Anyways, Richmond is, okay I guess. Nothing really worth going out of your way to see IMO but YMMV.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:25 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Some of you who have been here about as long as I have might remember a certain Richmond poster who used to hang out in the General US forum who, uh, let's just say was a big fan of Richmond and wasn't afraid to let everyone know. He also would shamelessly promote his music. Whenever I see Richmond mentioned on this forum or on the news or something, my mind goes to that crazy poster I kind of miss that guy and his entertaining rants about, things, the General US forum just isn't the same w/o him.

Anyways, Richmond is, okay I guess. Nothing really worth going out of your way to see IMO but YMMV.
That’s my point, why drive that far and stop when you’re only 90+ miles from DC metro? For a museum?…I’m sure nice but all that’s in DC x10. Probably The reason I’ve been through Richmond a gazillion times but only stopped through a couple of times to see relatives.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:59 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,723 times
Quote:
I guess this is where subjectiveness and opinions come into play, haha. IMO Richmond offers an historic, urban fabric that you cannot find anywhere in North Carolina on that scale. It has interesting museums that are not in North Carolina...Civil War Museum, Confederate White House, VMFA (ofc we do have NCMA but it's nice to have such an excellent 2nd option an easy drive away), Virginia Holocaust Museum, you can Whitewater rafting through the city, etc. All of these are interesting to me, but I understand that not everyone feels the same. Other people would rather go to an NFL or NBA game or hit Carowinds and have no interest in history or museums. I get it. It's also a different state, so there will be a natural disconnect there.

The drive from the Triangle to Charlotte is equally as boring IMO. Seeing a bunch of ugly suburban infrastructure and fast food signs is not interesting in the least, neither is 4 lanes instead of 2.

Also, I would like to just head on up to DC a lot of the time but that's much more of a commitment. Richmond is an easy day trip, DC is not. You don't have to stay the night in Richmond, but you pretty much do in DC. It's not as easy as "just keep driving".
Ok, it is a different state with different museums, I get it. Still, that drive is a drain to the soul of boredom…especially the VA stretch. Yes, give me action, billboards etc. because the drive to Charlotte is much more lively and requires being alert with urbanized areas almost the entire route…it seems much shorter though it really is about the same depending on where you live in the Triangle.

And if there were a sizeable metro between RDU and Richmond, the areas would seem much more connected. That huge gap really creates a since of disconnect.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:55 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
That’s my point, why drive that far and stop when you’re only 90+ miles from DC metro? For a museum?…I’m sure nice but all that’s in DC x10. Probably The reason I’ve been through Richmond a gazillion times but only stopped through a couple of times to see relatives.
Yes.

Like I said in the first iteration of this convo earlier in this thread......if I'm driving 2.5 hours to see some historic rowhomes and a museum.....I'm gonna stick it out the extra 2 hours to get to DC instead were the quantity and quality of those attractions is substantially more significant.

And again this isn't to knock Richmond itself....I can't imagine why anyone in Richmond would make it a "trip" to visit the Life & Science Museum or Oakwood either.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:42 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
Most of my trips to the Richmond vicinity were 1995-2005 years when my kids liked going to Kings Dominion. They strongly preferred KD over Carowinds in Charlotte.

Old 06-05-2022, 01:57 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
Quote:
Ok, it is a different state with different museums, I get it. Still, that drive is a drain to the soul of boredom…especially the VA stretch. Yes, give me action, billboards etc. because the drive to Charlotte is much more lively and requires being alert with urbanized areas almost the entire route…it seems much shorter though it really is about the same depending on where you live in the Triangle.

And if there were a sizeable metro between RDU and Richmond, the areas would seem much more connected. That huge gap really creates a since of disconnect.
Again, subjectiveness. I prefer green trees and forest to gas stations, Walmart and McDonalds signs, and parking lots. I agree with your second paragraph though.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:45 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Well if you want to do a day trip, DC is virtually impossible to do, not to mention that the traffic north of Richmond, particularly in the Fredericksburg area, can be very challenging making a 4-hour trip a 5-hour one. As mentioned, Richmond has a fantastic art museum as well as the Virginia Holocaust Museum which is very well done. The children's museum is great, too. They also have a lot of history in Richmond to explore including Revolutionary War and Civil War history. There is also the beautiful James River for recreation. Carytown is fun for eating out and shopping. There is also very cool architecture in Richmond including the historic Jefferson Hotel and so much more. I think Richmond is an excellent city to visit and much easier and closer than DC from the Triangle. And I LOVE the DC area and go there very often, but Richmond is a great city, particularly for the day or a quick overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary