Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 12:26 AM

771 posts, read 627,484 times

Advertisements

Well, Richmond is like a smaller D.C. minus the hassle to travel there. I really don’t like driving north of Fredericksburg on I-95, plus D.C. is way too far from the Triangle for a day trip. You kind of have to spend a night there.

While the drive to Richmond is boring, at least it’s easy. Not a lot of traffic around South Hill, LOL. Plus, Richmond is doable for a day trip. I can walk around the Fan neighborhood and the VMFA and basically get the same vibe as D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 06:06 AM

43,304 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well if you want to do a day trip, DC is virtually impossible to do, not to mention that the traffic north of Richmond, particularly in the Fredericksburg area, can be very challenging making a 4-hour trip a 5-hour one. As mentioned, Richmond has a fantastic art museum as well as the Virginia Holocaust Museum which is very well done. The children's museum is great, too. They also have a lot of history in Richmond to explore including Revolutionary War and Civil War history. There is also the beautiful James River for recreation. Carytown is fun for eating out and shopping. There is also very cool architecture in Richmond including the historic Jefferson Hotel and so much more. I think Richmond is an excellent city to visit and much easier and closer than DC from the Triangle. And I LOVE the DC area and go there very often, but Richmond is a great city, particularly for the day or a quick overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Well, Richmond is like a smaller D.C. minus the hassle to travel there. I really don’t like driving north of Fredericksburg on I-95, plus D.C. is way too far from the Triangle for a day trip. You kind of have to spend a night there.

While the drive to Richmond is boring, at least it’s easy. Not a lot of traffic around South Hill, LOL. Plus, Richmond is doable for a day trip. I can walk around the Fan neighborhood and the VMFA and basically get the same vibe as D.C.

When I think of driving to DC, all I think of is the drive from Fredricksburg into DC. Yuck.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:35 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,358,501 times
The last time I did a day trip to DC, I drove to Fredericksburg and hopped on the commuter rail to take me into DC. Yes, it was a long day, but it is doable with about 4.5 hours each way (including the commuter rail).

Old 06-06-2022, 12:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Au contraire. I love the location. Going downtown is a PITA for the 85% of Wake County that lives outside 440. More so, for people in Durham, Chapel Hill, and outlying counties.

I live in Durham and don't mind going to DTR. It's no less convenient than anywhere else in Wake County for me, and it's more interesting than anything else that far away. I'd prefer if the art museum had been built downtown so it could be part of a package trip with the other museums, and restaurants, if I'm showing relatives around the place.

That said I like the grounds it's on, the greenways nearby, and enjoy it for what it is.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:38 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
It's moot now. The arena will remain where it is for at least the next 15 years. DTR might get a soccer stadium -- or might not.

The State chose the Blue Ridge Road location for NCMA in 1967. One factor was that the State already owned the property. Original intent was a structure much larger than the East Building turned out to be. The landscaping would have been extensive as well. Not enough money could be raised to realize those visions.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:07 AM

873 posts, read 1,017,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Ok, it is a different state with different museums, I get it. Still, that drive is a drain to the soul of boredom…especially the VA stretch. Yes, give me action, billboards etc. because the drive to Charlotte is much more lively and requires being alert with urbanized areas almost the entire route…it seems much shorter though it really is about the same depending on where you live in the Triangle.

And if there were a sizeable metro between RDU and Richmond, the areas would seem much more connected. That huge gap really creates a since of disconnect.
All of this is quite true. I-85 in Virginia is mostly trees in the median and on the shoulders, creating a tunnel vision effect when driving much of it. And once you're past South Hill, it's 45 miles of just a few exits with nothing more than a gas station if that off the main road. That part of I-85 in North Carolina is pretty boring as well. Give me the four to six lanes on each side and the fast food restaurants off most exits from 85/40 in the Triangle to Charlotte any day of the week.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:27 AM

771 posts, read 627,484 times
I guess it’s just a matter of preference! Both Charlotte and Richmond are the same distance from the Triangle.

For Charlotte, you get a familiar flavor compared to the Triangle (bigger but still in the same state and Piedmont region), Carowinds, IKEA, more professional sports, and a drive that goes through areas that are quite developed.

For Richmond, you get a slightly different flavor compared to the Triangle (in a different state with a bigger downtown), far more history, an underrated art museum, urban neighborhoods, and a drive that goes through rural areas.

I prefer day trips to Richmond but I’ll admit that Charlotte and the Triangle have a stronger connection, obviously being in the same state. Although not like the beach or mountains, it is common for Triangle residents to visit Charlotte for different reasons.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:02 AM

151 posts, read 195,265 times
Some of the comments claiming DC is just a "better version" of Richmond so why not drive 2 hours up north?

Here is why

I don't want to go to DC Because:

1) Traffic after Richmond towards DC is garbage
2) Parking in DC is garbage
3) Driving around in DC is a pain
4) DC does not really have good cuisine. I've spent a lot of time there and barring a few special places near mclean and reston I have found nothing special there (there is a nandos though).

I want to go to Richmond because

1) Closest place to get GOOD Bosnian food from Bosnian market and Deli
2) Downtown has its own vibe. More fun than DC imo that has a more professional feel (Arlington is nice though but I dont wanna park there)
3) The Mediteranean Deli there is great. Not worth the trip, but if you're there might as well
4) One of my favorite cakes from European Deli is there
5) Sally Bells potato Salad if you can get it is amazing
6) Cary street has some awesome karaoke bars

I have always had more fun in Richmond than DC so why would I go 2.5 extra hours each way, a total of 5 extra hours of driving to be surrounded by government buildings?

Old 06-08-2022, 10:14 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Charlotte takes me about 2hr 45 min to 3 hrs to reach. Charlotte always feels longer/further than Richmond, even though mileage-wise Richmond's another 10 or so miles further.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:38 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
All of this is quite true. I-85 in Virginia is mostly trees in the median and on the shoulders, creating a tunnel vision effect when driving much of it. And once you're past South Hill, it's 45 miles of just a few exits with nothing more than a gas station if that off the main road.
VSP's finest also had a heavy presence on I-85, though I don't know if that's still the case since VA recently raised the Reckless Driving threshold to 85mph (previously 80mph, even in a 70mph zone).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary