Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 07:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
9 times out of 10, I'd rather drive to Richmond than Charlotte. Driving to Charlotte feels like you never get a chance to breathe, it's congestion and development the entire way. Driving down to Wilmington or to Asheville (past Winston) are easy drives, though.

Guess I just prefer rural driving, LOL.
I don't mind 85 on the way to Richmond either.

Pro tip on going to Charlotte from the Triangle — take 64 to Asheboro and then take 49 to Charlotte. My in-laws live in Charlotte and we've been going that way for decades. Takes a little longer, but it is much more pleasant than 85 going west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 08:11 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Pro tip on going to Charlotte from the Triangle — take 64 to Asheboro and then take 49 to Charlotte. My in-laws live in Charlotte and we've been going that way for decades. Takes a little longer, but it is much more pleasant than 85 going west.

Agree on both of these points. The two-hour stretch on I-85 is the best part of driving to Richmond, DC and beyond. And I always take 64 to 49 to go to Charlotte. So much more relaxing than 40/85!

Old 07-08-2022, 09:10 AM

771 posts, read 627,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

I'll keep that in mind, thanks! How much longer is it? I probably visit Charlotte about once or twice a year, but the congestion on I-85 especially in areas like Concord can get pretty irritating. Seems like there's a lot of construction along that route, as well.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:17 PM

676 posts, read 495,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I'll keep that in mind, thanks! How much longer is it? I probably visit Charlotte about once or twice a year, but the congestion on I-85 especially in areas like Concord can get pretty irritating. Seems like there's a lot of construction along that route, as well.

Not sure when was the last time you traveled 85 to Charlotte, but all of the construction between Salisbury and Concord is complete. Smooth sailing unless of course there is a major wreck. There have been times when I've driven 220 south from Greensboro to Asheboro to take 49 into Charlotte. It's a peaceful drive

Old 07-08-2022, 01:22 PM

43,303 posts, read 77,142,685 times
I drove down to Charlotte (Belmont) and back yesterday.
The only holdup was a wreck on U.S. 64 at the Chatham County line. Smooth drive. Considered taking NC49, but went 421 to Greensboro and then I85.

Full day, but that happens when you do a 320 mile round trip.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:51 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
Now that the I-85 construction is complete from Salisbury to Concord, I go through Asheboro only if I'm headed to Ballantyne, Matthews, Mint Hill, etc. But I live in north Raleigh. If I lived in Apex or Holly Springs, I'd go through Asheboro all the time.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:02 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
It's about 20-30 minutes longer for us to go the back way to Charlotte. Nice scenery through the Uwharries and over Badin Lake/Tuckertown Reservoir, though. It's just a much more chill ride.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:53 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
I had really good luck taking 85/64 last time, heading Charlotte to Cary. The new Asheboro bypass, and the construction on 85 being done, made it a pleasant ride.

Old 07-10-2022, 12:31 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
I live in Arlington now, from NC. My friends from the Triangle have started meeting on weekend nights for dinner, bar hopping, and movies in Richmond. It really is a great way for us to hang out with NC friends more often with both sides only having to endure a two hour or so drive. Last night, we hung out in Carytown, which a colorful bohemian part of Richmond with some neat local restaurants, cupcake shops, bars, even an artsy theater.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:03 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I live in Arlington now, from NC. My friends from the Triangle have started meeting on weekend nights for dinner, bar hopping, and movies in Richmond. It really is a great way for us to hang out with NC friends more often with both sides only having to endure a two hour or so drive. Last night, we hung out in Carytown, which a colorful bohemian part of Richmond with some neat local restaurants, cupcake shops, bars, even an artsy theater.
Now, that makes sense…a reason to go there maybe more than once every 5 years or so. Because, even RDU has “colorful” places if there is a reason to meet up for out of towners. I think some people actually miss the entire point, Richmond isn’t a major city and you can practically do everything here that you can do there, and maybe more. And probably in terms of family and friends, there is a greater connection between RDU and DC; than with Richmond.

I don’t care what anyone says, that stretch from South Hill to Petersburg is rough! Sure, no traffic but it’s tree lined boring hour or so. 64 from Raleigh to Charlotte is indeed more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary