Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 08:42 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Rural View Post
It's one of the most fun small cities in the area with beautiful nature; the Maymont nursey there is really nice too.
I love the Japanese garden at Maymont

https://maymont.org/explore/gardens/japanese-garden/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 08:47 AM

180 posts, read 96,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
If I'm driving 2.5 hours to see some historic rowhomes and a museum....I'm staying in the car for the extra 2 hours to get to DC and hit up the Smithsonian.
Same.

We are from D.C. metro and have family/friends there. We take the bypass around Richmond...........

Have been to Richmond and might visit again but there are other places higher on the priority list to visit within driving distance of Raleigh.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:53 AM

126 posts, read 80,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
Same.

We are from D.C. metro and have family/friends there. We take the bypass around Richmond...........

Have been to Richmond and might visit again but there are other places higher on the priority list to visit within driving distance of Raleigh.
Well, that makes sense ...you are from the D.C. area and want to get there as quickly as possible.

I'm sure Richmond area people are glad you bypass their city, they probably don't want the traffic that is up by Fredericksburg.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:55 AM

771 posts, read 626,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
According to the Googles, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Richmond were all founded in the 1700s — 1792, 1768, and 1737 respectively. Fayetteville was actually founded a year before Richmond in 1736. Wilmington was founded in 1739. Salem (of Winston-Salem) was founded in 1766. You could certainly argue that Richmond has cherished and held onto its history better than many cities in NC, but it's not "much older".
That's technically true, but what I mean is that Richmond was a much larger city throughout history, while most of North Carolina's cities were small. This gives Richmond a stronger historic feel, IMO. Raleigh, for example, didn't really grow into a large city until the second half of the 20th century, which is why it feels newer even though it was founded in the 1790s. Back then, it was a puny state capital.

The only city in North Carolina that can compare to Richmond in regards to history is Wilmington, IMO. Wilmington has older neighborhoods than what you'd typically find in Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, etc.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:57 AM

119 posts, read 81,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
According to the Googles, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Richmond were all founded in the 1700s — 1792, 1768, and 1737 respectively. Fayetteville was actually founded a year before Richmond in 1736. Wilmington was founded in 1739. Salem (of Winston-Salem) was founded in 1766. You could certainly argue that Richmond has cherished and held onto its history better than many cities in NC, but it's not "much older".
Probably meant developed/grew much faster. Richmond had 50k right after the War of Northern Aggression ( Raleigh had 4500 in 1860), and 85k in 1900. Raleigh had around 12k in 1900. Raleigh didn’t hit 50k until about 1946 or so. That is why Richmond appears to be a much older city than Raleigh.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:00 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
I used to live in Virginia and have been to Richmond numerous times. It is a nice city. Definitely has a more urban, historic feel than Raleigh or Charlotte. But like others have said, there isn't that much to cause someone to drive 2.5 hours. It is a similar sized city with similar level assets. You could argue the VFMA is a little better than NCMA, but I'd say they are at the same level/tier. I don't think shopping is at a higher level. No pro sports. Food isn't a different level from Raleigh. The history is interesting and worth a visit, but probably just one.

2.5 hours is a significant drive. 5 hours round-trip, which is long for a day trip. Like others have said, if you are spending the night, I find it more worthwhile to go somewhere like DC, which is obviously on a different level and has much more to offer.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:04 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Rural View Post
Make sure to go to Belle Isle in Richmond if you want to take in the Falls of the James. Walk across the suspension bridge too (and the T. Potterfield bridge too, I believe). You can also cross over to Manchester and walk along the trail to watch climbers scale a repurposed rock climbing wall. Pony Pasture in the James river park system is another highlight if you like the outdoors. There is also the buttermilk trail on the southside -- that doubles as a mountain bike trail -- that is up on a cliff overlooking the river. Really cool.

During the early Spring, the fall line in Richmond offers some of the best Striper and River Herring fishing on the East Coast or South Atlantic. You should get into a kayak right below the 14th st bridge and fish at the bottom of the rapids. You can also fish on the other side of the river at the floodwall.

The Canal walk in Richmond is not as spectacular as the falls are. The James is a raging river (during high flows especially), therefore Richmond has a more "wild" riverfront than the placid river fronts in the abovementioned cities.

Robious Landing Park and Pocahontas State Park are also just outside the city ... worth checking out as well.

I'm surprised people don't think Richmond is worth going back to. It's one of the most fun small cities in the area with beautiful nature; the Maymont nursey there is really nice too.

Probably the nicest city in Virginia, then Williamsburg.

Wow, thank you! This is good info. Yes, I am definitely checking it out. The pictures look really nice. I live in Durham now and it has some pretty neat buildings. Not much, but there are some cool things around that have some patina on them. I am hoping to see more row-houses and historic places in Richmond, that's the reason I'll be checking it out. Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 03-17-2021, 11:17 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I used to live in Virginia and have been to Richmond numerous times. It is a nice city. Definitely has a more urban, historic feel than Raleigh or Charlotte. But like others have said, there isn't that much to cause someone to drive 2.5 hours. It is a similar sized city with similar level assets. You could argue the VFMA is a little better than NCMA, but I'd say they are at the same level/tier. I don't think shopping is at a higher level. No pro sports. Food isn't a different level from Raleigh. The history is interesting and worth a visit, but probably just one.

2.5 hours is a significant drive. 5 hours round-trip, which is long for a day trip. Like others have said, if you are spending the night, I find it more worthwhile to go somewhere like DC, which is obviously on a different level and has much more to offer.

In what way VFMA is better? More permanent collections or do they attract better exhibits? Thanks!

I am thinking of combining a couple of VA cities in one trip. Maybe Richmond and Norfolk/VA Beach. Is that double? I'd probably drive to Richmond and get there early, have brunch there, spend some time and then drive to Norfolk. Find a nice seafood place for dinner, and spend a night there. Check out Norfolk and VA beach the next day, and then drive back to Durham. I have done like zero research on this. Just looked at the map a while back, and thought that would be a good weekend trip. Thoughts?

Old 03-17-2021, 12:30 PM

771 posts, read 626,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
In what way VFMA is better? More permanent collections or do they attract better exhibits? Thanks!

I am thinking of combining a couple of VA cities in one trip. Maybe Richmond and Norfolk/VA Beach. Is that double? I'd probably drive to Richmond and get there early, have brunch there, spend some time and then drive to Norfolk. Find a nice seafood place for dinner, and spend a night there. Check out Norfolk and VA beach the next day, and then drive back to Durham. I have done like zero research on this. Just looked at the map a while back, and thought that would be a good weekend trip. Thoughts?
Both museums are nice, but the VMFA is bigger than the NCMA. I like how the VMFA is right in the city, too.

I'd wake up early and drive up to Richmond to spend one day there, or at least most of the day. I would definitely go to the VMFA, take a drive down Monument Avenue (one of the prettiest streets in the nation), visit the Virginia State Capitol, and walk across the T. Tyler Potterfield Memorial Bridge over the James River (assuming the weather cooperates).

I've never driven from Richmond to the Hampton Roads area, but I know you drive through Williamsburg (past Jamestown, Yorktown, etc.) to get there. There's a lot of history in that part of Virginia. I've only been to Norfolk once so I'm not as familiar with that area, although I visited the Chrysler Museum of Art and it was cool.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:38 PM

119 posts, read 81,216 times
I really enjoy visiting the Confederate White House and the Museum of the Confederacy. Hollywood Cemetery is very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary