Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 01:16 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,781,662 times

Advertisements

Now that I’m retired I might end up going up and riding the Capital Trail from Williamsburg to Richmond. Supposed to be a nice bike ride. Stay over night and hit up some breweries.

I’m a NC native and have only ever been to Richmond once, for a wedding 35 years ago. I’ve got friends and family in most areas of NC so had reasons to go to various towns here in NC, but never felt compelled to visit Richmond. One big reason why I knew people all over the state was people going to various state universities and staying in that area (I did the same). I’ve visited Norfolk/Va Beach and Bristow for concerts, but Richmond never seemed to get stuff there that we (or another NC venue just as close) weren’t getting. I also always hated the drive north. Going up US 1 was never any fun back, then you get to the state line and it’s just one long, dark, monotonous speed trap until you hit Petersburg (which always seemed to have terrible driving).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 02:33 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,814,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
In what way VFMA is better? More permanent collections or do they attract better exhibits? Thanks!

I am thinking of combining a couple of VA cities in one trip. Maybe Richmond and Norfolk/VA Beach. Is that double? I'd probably drive to Richmond and get there early, have brunch there, spend some time and then drive to Norfolk. Find a nice seafood place for dinner, and spend a night there. Check out Norfolk and VA beach the next day, and then drive back to Durham. I have done like zero research on this. Just looked at the map a while back, and thought that would be a good weekend trip. Thoughts?
I think that sounds like a lot to do in one weekend. I'd drive up to Richmond and spend an overnight there (so two days, one night). I would save Norfolk/VA Beach for a separate trip. I would do Norfolk/VA Beach and add in a walk around Colonial Williamsburg and/or a visit to Jamestown/Yorktown on the same trip.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:39 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,951,166 times
Virginia is going all in on rail expansion through the state.

One of the first projects is speeding up service to D.C.

If they can reduce travel time to one hour, that will usher in a Richmond renaissance I believe.

A very fast train could make it a bedroom community for Washington.

The abandoned S line, now owned by Virginia will be rebuilt for faster service to Raleigh's Union Station without the slow trip through Rocky Mount now.

That $4 billion rebuild of the 100 mile missing link between Raleigh and Richmond which both states will pay for, will reduce travel time to D.C. from Raleigh to 3 hours, making Washington a decent day trip in complete comfort san any stress.

Richmond and Raleigh and D.C. will become more intrinsically linked in about 10-15 years.

The success of NC's intrastate rail service (Ral-Char 4 daily roundstrips prepandemic) makes that an even stronger prediction.

Richmond was once one of the most influencial cities in America's early days right up there with Charleston and Philly.

Climate change could make NC too hot and leave Virginia as the best locale for a taste of all 4 seasons one day.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:46 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,605,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Now that I’m retired I might end up going up and riding the Capital Trail from Williamsburg to Richmond. Supposed to be a nice bike ride. Stay over night and hit up some breweries.
Oooo I need to do that as well sometime!

Old 03-17-2021, 09:40 PM

4,274 posts, read 4,728,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
If they can reduce travel time to one hour, that will usher in a Richmond renaissance I believe.
60 minutes absolutely will not happen in my lifetime or yours. The fastest train today takes 138 minutes, and that's from the Staples Mill Road station in north Richmond. Engineering studies say the best that can be done -- without building an entirely new railroad at a probable cost of $15 billion, and there would be massive NIMBY opposition -- is reducing the downtown-to-downtown time to 100 minutes, possibly 90 if a train makes no intermediate stops.

Quote:
That $4 billion rebuild of the 100 mile missing link between Raleigh and Richmond which both states will pay for, will reduce travel time to D.C. from Raleigh to 3 hours
The objective for Raleigh-DC is 4 hours, not 3, and it's predicated on 2 hours Raleigh-Richmond and 2 hours Richmond-DC. The more likely outcome, at least for the first 20 years, is 2 hours 40 minutes Raleigh-Richmond compared to today's 3 hours 45 minutes. Why more likely? Because neither VA nor NC is anywhere close to the political commitment to actually spend billions on this. For $500 million or so, you could get 2 hours 40 minutes (which, by the way, is the same as the fastest trains in the 1940s).

Quote:
Climate change could make NC too hot and leave Virginia as the best locale for a taste of all 4 seasons one day.
There's not that much difference in summer climate between Raleigh and DC. The profound difference is between western NC and central/eastern NC, and between western VA and central/eastern VA. If Raleigh becomes too hot, people won't be flocking to DC (a move that very few people in Raleigh could afford, anyway). Rather, people will be fleeing to the NC mountains.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:39 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,174,237 times
This is a weird thread.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:09 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,516,934 times
Quote:
Virginia is going all in on rail expansion through the state.

One of the first projects is speeding up service to D.C.

A very fast train could make it a bedroom community for Washington.

The abandoned S line, now owned by Virginia will be rebuilt for faster service to Raleigh's Union Station without the slow trip through Rocky Mount now.

That $4 billion rebuild of the 100 mile missing link between Raleigh and Richmond which both states will pay for, will reduce travel time to D.C. from Raleigh to 3 hours, making Washington a decent day trip in complete comfort san any stress.

Richmond and Raleigh and D.C. will become more intrinsically linked in about 10-15 years.

The success of NC's intrastate rail service (Ral-Char 4 daily roundstrips prepandemic) makes that an even stronger prediction.

Richmond was once one of the most influencial cities in America's early days right up there with Charleston and Philly.

While I do believe in climate change....this bolded sentence is very silly.

The difference in climate between Richmond and Raleigh is minimal. If climate change ever comes to the point where people are literally escaping from too-warm weather and migrating north; I think said migrations would be significantly larger distances than that from central NC to central VA...and also we'd basically be in a post-society/apocalyptic world so I don't think museums or cultural attractions (or being a city at all) are going to be driving factors in where the refugees choose to migrate.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:44 AM

6,658 posts, read 5,605,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
While I do believe in climate change....this bolded sentence is very silly.

The difference in climate between Richmond and Raleigh is minimal. If climate change ever comes to the point where people are literally escaping from too-warm weather and migrating north; I think said migrations would be significantly larger distances than that from central NC to central VA...and also we'd basically be in a post-society/apocalyptic world so I don't think museums or cultural attractions (or being a city at all) are going to be driving factors in where the refugees choose to migrate.
https://projects.propublica.org/climate-migration/

(At the bottom you can see projected differences between different counties)

Old 03-18-2021, 07:45 AM

126 posts, read 80,961 times
Very strange to say Richmond is a better option than Raleigh or Charlotte due to climate change.

Richmond is more humid than either Raleigh or Charlotte and often feels much warmer there during the Summer months.

You forget that Raleigh is more inland than Richmond and Charlotte, more so.

Richmond is very hot and humid -- more so than Raleigh or Charlotte.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:39 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,325,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Richmond has a ton of historic sites compared to the Triangle. There are no neighborhoods similar to the Fan (Monument Ave, etc.) in the Triangle, for example. Also, Richmond's art museum (VMFA) is really underrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Not really selling me on it.
Doubt their awesome mountainbike trail system right in the middle of town, up and down the James River and across Belle Island would sell it either, but that would be my #1 attraction.

Great food and drink there, but I really don't partake as much on a day-trip.

Richmond is a cool city. VERY cool. Unique blend of Northern Industrial and Southern Charm and Tradition. I don't know why I don't go there more than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary