Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:14 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,260,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabear001 View Post
Thank you all for your input, I will go ahead and dig into these links to learn more. I suppose 1 year will not harm a kindergartener as long as there are no safety concerns. I should have learned enough about the school and the triangle school districts before his first grade to help me decide what will be best for him longer term.
FWIW, we went through the DPS madness and ended up going with a charter school that had better "scores" or ratings or what-have-you than the base assignment. Still high minority (my daughter) and low income (not my daughter) student population but .

She didn't have a teacher/classroom for the first 2 weeks. They just shuffled kids around while they did assessments, etc. but they could not tell me where my daughter was when I called. Tons of worksheets every day plus bullying and teachers saying my daughter was "not accustomed to a classroom environment" after 3 years of daycare/pre-K and 1 year of immersion pre-K. Transportation to and from took an hour or more, and no contact info when 2 hours passed and my kid still isn't home.

Put the house on the market after 1 month (at the height of the housing bust) and ran.

Lessons learned:
  1. I thought 1 year of kindy in a "meh" school would be fine. I was wrong.
  2. I thought a school with better scores would be better. I was wrong.
  3. I thought that being an engaged parent with sufficient means was enough. In fact, I thought SO highly of myself that I thought that I could actually HELP the school, with all of my volunteering and first-time-parent enthusiasm. I was SUPER wrong.

3 kids and countless school changes later, here is what I have learned:
  • For kindergarten and pre-3rd grade, emotional and social support is more important than academics.
  • Teacher satisfaction is a huge indicator of how the community and staff support them. When teachers have to struggle for the most basic resources, everyone suffers.

Add this to your list of resources, and good luck: https://2020results.asqnc.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 08:47 PM

324 posts, read 261,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
  • For kindergarten and pre-3rd grade, emotional and social support is more important than academics.
  • Teacher satisfaction is a huge indicator of how the community and staff support them. When teachers have to struggle for the most basic resources, everyone suffers.
^^ 100% on target ^^ (current teacher)

Old 03-25-2021, 12:56 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,330,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
An elementary school underperforms when: kids start K and that's their first schooling environment and they are behind on learning OR parents get the kids out the door of the house, and see them sometime after school, and never get involved to see how the child is doing.

This is not true. Unintelligent children who receive good parenting and schooling will not produce high scores.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:26 PM

43,426 posts, read 77,366,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
This is not true. Unintelligent children who receive good parenting and schooling will not produce high scores.
Well, now...

Schools suffer without community and family support. "Unintelligent" kids also deserve solid opportunity to meet their potential. High test scores are a false god that many worship.
A good school will, like an incoming tide, float all boats.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,388,584 times
This might be a good resource:
https://daenc.com/2015/09/30/whats-good-at-parkwood/

This is Parkwood's Facebook page which looks to be pretty current:
https://www.facebook.com/parkwoodelementarydurham/

Old 03-26-2021, 09:13 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,589,129 times
Quote:
Schools with low scores do not convey a student body comprised of "unintelligent" children, statistically that's ridiculous to even suggest. The worst performing schools are almost always in low income communities and are suffering from a lagging home support system.

Do you have any firsthand experience with lower rated schools?

Old 03-26-2021, 12:31 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,274,867 times
Quote:
fortunately, that's not what I said.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, now...

Schools suffer without community and family support. "Unintelligent" kids also deserve solid opportunity to meet their potential. High test scores are a false god that many worship.
A good school will, like an incoming tide, float all boats.
in the best schools, the "haves" spend their time working to help the "have nots", and not most of their effort making sure their "haves" are catered to at the expense of the "have nots".

At least in the 3-5 schools I know well that involve haves and have nots.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,330,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
fortunately, that's not what I said.

You said that there are only two causes of low school ratings:

1. uninvolved parents
2. students get behind the curve

I'm saying those are valid, but there's also a third cause: students performing poorly because of limited potential.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You said that there are only two causes of low school ratings:

1. uninvolved parents
2. students get behind the curve

I'm saying those are valid, but there's also a third cause: students performing poorly because of limited potential.
try as you might ...

Quote:
An elementary school underperforms when: kids start K and that's their first schooling environment and they are behind on learning OR parents get the kids out the door of the house, and see them sometime after school, and never get involved to see how the child is doing.
I said a SCHOOL underperforms, not individual students.

There's no school that has an outsized number of limited-intelligence children that has a significant portion of high-functioning children.

Obviously, an intelligence-impaired student will score less (ratings) than one who has no such limitation.

Unless you're trying to say those who are of lesser socio-economic are somewhat doomed because of "limited potential".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary