Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 10:54 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,167,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
So emotional intelligence means accepting bigotry and keeping quiet about it? Also, false equivalency much?
No. Emotional intelligence means being able to deal with your emotions responsibly and not getting triggered in such a way that you react inappropriately to a given situation.

Your response to my post is a prime example of low emotional intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 11:16 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,536,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
No. Emotional intelligence means being able to deal with your emotions responsibly and not getting triggered in such a way that you react inappropriately to a given situation.

Your response to my post is a prime example of low emotional intelligence.
Who's to say it's an inappropriate reaction? Just because you believe it is doesn't mean that it actually is.

Also, tread carefully. Personal attacks are frowned upon on CD.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:00 PM

1,204 posts, read 780,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
To be honest, the American culture has become way too obsessed with villainizing anyone that does not support or go along with popular trends, ideas, or lifestyles promoted by the media. As one poster previously said, what this venue did is not illegal; however you still have people who feel that their actions warrant boycotts and even death threats.

Why? A lack of emotional intelligence might explain it.

It's funny how the people complaining the most about hate and intolerance can be some of the biggest hypocrites.

So I am gay, I do not eat at Chic Fila (sp?). How is that being obsessed? They discriminate me and I do not eat there. In fact I do not eat fast food period. But if, with a gun to my head, I were forced to choose between this fast food and say Popeyes, I'd probably choose Popeyes. Even though I have no knowledge of Popeyes except they came up with some chicken sandwich that broke the internet.

So tell me how is that a lack of emotional intelligence? I do not have any social media accounts, so I do not influence other people to do anything. How could you realistically look at my situation and think what I am doing is a cancel culture? I as an individual person making this decision. Why don't you look at them and say your approach is canceling or erasing gays? So how am I the biggest hypocrite here?

Old 04-14-2021, 12:30 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,981,545 times
Chic fil a doesn't discriminate against gays the owner has spent his personal money on causes against the lgtb agenda

This pre 2014 before gay marriage was legalized truit Cathy donated to orgs who campaigned against SS marriage. More or less that stopped by 2014.

If you look behind the allegations you'll see activists are talking about things like the salvation army when they say "donated to anti lgbt"

Would you refuse to patronize a place who supported the salvation army? People who ring the bells

Old 04-14-2021, 12:32 PM

In fact the only real outfits chic fil a is called out on was donations to the salvation army and fellowship of christian athletes. Seen as bigoted in the eyes of lgbt activists

Of which they canceled even that in 2020

Old 04-14-2021, 12:34 PM

58 posts, read 31,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
So anything written between September 1939 and August 1945...was written about Nazism? Boy do I wish the world was as simple as you make it sound....
I don't know if it was specifically about Nazis and only Nazis, but when Popper wrote about intolerance, he was referring to physical violence. The modern, watered-down "don't want to associate with some out-group because they're icky" intolerance wasn't the issue.

Doesn't mean personal actions like your [edit: I mean, Hatch's] avoidance for CFA is unwarranted (I avoid them for the same reason), but it's not something like apartheid or genocide that demands a society-wide call to action. Strategically, I think keeping this story in the news for a week or more is a mistake-- more likely to make folks dig in their heels. Leave a review some places so others can make a personal decision to avoid the business if they choose, but don't gang up on them. People are surprised by the story because it's become a rarity; if most places were still discriminating against lesbian and gay weddings, that would call for a different response.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:43 PM

Too bad the moral majority of the 80 - 90s didnt have social media

Old 04-14-2021, 12:43 PM

58 posts, read 31,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
In fact the only real outfits chic fil a is called out on was donations to the salvation army and fellowship of christian athletes. Seen as bigoted in the eyes of lgbt activists

Of which they canceled even that in 2020
One of the organizations run by a CFA owner was donating to National Christian Foundation. NCF was working with the Ugandan government on anti-LGB policy at the time Uganda was preping a bill that would have made homosexuality a capital crime. Not a direct link between CFA and that (failed) policy, but there were reasons to be concerned with where CFA money was going beyond Salvation Army.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedbirdSaint View Post
One of the organizations run by a CFA owner was donating to National Christian Foundation. NCF was working with the Ugandan government on anti-LGB policy at the time Uganda was preping a bill that would have made homosexuality a capital crime. Not a direct link between CFA and that (failed) policy, but there were reasons to be concerned with where CFA money was going beyond Salvation Army.
https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...nti-gay-bill-/

over a decade ago when the environment was way different. It's also logically tenuous to say their money was pursuing bad thing in Uganda. More like they paid to send people to uganda where at the same time they were doing bad thing. Like how long should stuff like this be dug up, forever?

Why don't you judge CFA on what they're doing today instead of narrative constructive based on money they sloshed around in their entire history?

Let's be transparent right -- CFA is outfront as a Christian outfit -- so nothing will ever be good enough, no?

"
Our ruling
A Facebook post of a tweet claimed that Chick-fil-A has contributed to the National Christian Foundation, which then funded a preacher to travel to Uganda to help lawmakers craft an anti-gay bill.

News reports show that the evangelical preacher Lou Engle did travel to Uganda in 2010, around the time that lawmakers were crafting a bill that would have imposed the death penalty for gay sex. However, Engle did not directly contribute to the legislation. While he complimented Ugandans for their stance against homosexuality, he denounced the harsh penalties proposed in the bill.

Federal tax returns show that the National Christian Foundation contributed to Engle’s evangelical Christian group in 2009, before his trip. Documents also show that the WinShape Foundation, which is run by Chick-fil-A’s owners, donated to the National Christian Foundation in 2009, but the link between the company and Uganda’s anti-gay legislation is weak.

The post contains an element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression. We rate it Mostly False.

"

Old 04-14-2021, 12:53 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedbirdSaint View Post
I don't know if it was specifically about Nazis and only Nazis, but when Popper wrote about intolerance, he was referring to physical violence. The modern, watered-down "don't want to associate with some out-group because they're icky" intolerance wasn't the issue.

Doesn't mean personal actions like your [edit: I mean, Hatch's] avoidance for CFA is unwarranted (I avoid them for the same reason), but it's not something like apartheid or genocide that demands a society-wide call to action. Strategically, I think keeping this story in the news for a week or more is a mistake-- more likely to make folks dig in their heels. Leave a review some places so others can make a personal decision to avoid the business if they choose, but don't gang up on them. People are surprised by the story because it's become a rarity; if most places were still discriminating against lesbian and gay weddings, that would call for a different response.
Yes it was Hatch's CFA avoidance. I avoid WalMart (for different "political" reasons).

My only challenge to your closing line is there are something like 82 anti-LGBTQ bills in various state houses right now (which outpaces last year's entire total)...and its what, the second week of April?

Yes, these onesy twosy local stories seem more rare. But they provide a vehicle in which a broader discussion can happen - although probably not here.

As for Popper's motivations/examples he was writing on, I wasn't in his head (neither of my parents were even alive in 1945). Just that the quote fit this conversation at the time portraying "people who claim to want tolerance are also intolerant towards those they see as intolerant" like it was some never before seen thing. Of course there has to be some level of intolerance if you are battling intolerance. There was evil all throughout the world in the 30s/40s from all sides of social/political spectrum. To focus in on Nazis is silly, albeit probably picked for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary