Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2021, 07:48 PM

13 posts, read 23,138 times

Advertisements

new to the triangle. Looking to retire and really liked Hassentree. People seemed friendly and there are some smaller homes. Anybody live there or know someone who does? Pro/Cons? Wake Forest area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 10:02 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
We built our home in Regency at Brier Creek Country Club in 2013. Like Hasentree, it's a Toll Brothers development.

We are quite happy with the quality of the home, as our most of our neighbors. (At least the ones who recognize that these are NOT custom homes and know that NOTHING is ever perfect.)

Most of the homes with basements have had problems. I've no idea if that's primarily because of the land they built on, or if Toll is just lousy at basements.

Like every builder, many of the upgrades from Toll can be done after closing by another company. You'll get a better result and/or cheaper price.

We've been to a couple of events at Hasentree and it's lovely. Too far from stuff for us, and hellish driving at night in that area.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:12 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
I can't answer your "lives in Hasentree", but I can say that I personally, and most people I have helped, would rather be at Heritage (proper) than Hasentree.

Heritage has 2 or 3 different "retirement" type houses (be it a ranch, a patio type home or a townhouse with plenty of 1st floor space)
Heritage is 10%+ less expensive, and mostly custom-built homes
Heritage is much closer to amenities, the shopping is at the edges of the community
Heritage is far more complete and full of intergenerational people that move around Heritage, not out and up.
Heritage is a lower HOA cost structure (ie, requiring membership, HOA's at golf villas, etc)

If you're a golfer, as am I, then Hasentree would theoretically be a "better" course since it's a Fazio. However, Heritage is a really enjoyable and playable (won't beat you up every day) course as well.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,056,401 times
I would echo a lot of what Bo said (Heritage v Hasentree). I live in Heritage and have a couple of buddies in Hastentree. Their houses are obviously really nice, but not sure I would want to get out onto 98 during rush hours and driving at night along there wouldn't be much fun.

If I was dead set on Wake Forest, I would take a gander at Heritage, Traditions or even some of the smaller developments around Heritage (Stonewater, Bridgeport - basically the areas along Forestville Road they are putting in). But I would keep in mind that even though WF has grown like crazy in the last 15 years, they are putting a ton of new devs in now. The area near the new Wegmans, they are putting in a bunch of apartments behind the Harris Teeter, 3 new developments along Forestville just south of the High School. And I would go in with the following mentality. This town is growing like crazy, the roads are being left behind size wise and traffic will become an issue. I want to be close to shopping and golf and aim my targeted search accordingly (or whatever you it is you want to be "close enough for traffic not to be a burden to get to")

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by GVoR; 04-12-2021 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-12-2021, 12:43 PM

129 posts, read 115,856 times
My parents live in Heritage, they are retired and bought a parade home 10ish years ago. It's mostly a good plan for them since the footprint is wide, but they never set foot upstairs unless my kids are over. They have made great friends on their street, lots of conveniences nearby. I have several friends that live in Hasentree. One is a retired couple in the smaller side homes, they are happy. The others are families in the larger homes. One recently moved due to location, others are a love/hate due to 98. We are in the shuffling kids around stage and 98 can be a bear especially if you have to make a left.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:49 PM

379 posts, read 517,618 times
Hasentree is a really nice development. You have million dollar homes and 450k homes. You have mansions and golf villas. The golf course is really nice and the neighborhood is walkable in some areas that have sidewalks. Some of the big drawbacks I see is that the entrance on 98 is dangerous, especially during the morning and evening rush hours. It's on a fairly steep grade and folks drive fast there. There is no traffic light and getting out of the development can take awhile when 98 is busy. The amenity center has not expanded even though they added many homes in the last few years. My sister in law bought there in '14 and moved out last year. Her big gripe was the traffic in the morning on 98. It hasn't been bad this past year because of the pandemic but when schools go back F/T and people start commuting again, 98 will be a pain to navigate in the am. The county / state are way behind upgrading that roadway.

The Heritage neighborhoods are also very nice. Those subdivisions are much closer to the retail shops and downtown WF. However, Wake Forest is being developed very rapidly!! Again, the town, county and state have not made the necessary infrastructure upgrades to the roads to accommodate the increased traffic. The Rogers Road corridor during a weekday is congested along with S Main Street and now the bypass (98). When they open Wegmans and the other development on 98 there is going to be a lot of traffic.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:54 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Hasentree is a really nice development. You have million dollar homes and 450k homes. You have mansions and golf villas. The golf course is really nice and the neighborhood is walkable in some areas that have sidewalks. Some of the big drawbacks I see is that the entrance on 98 is dangerous, especially during the morning and evening rush hours. It's on a fairly steep grade and folks drive fast there. There is no traffic light and getting out of the development can take awhile when 98 is busy. The amenity center has not expanded even though they added many homes in the last few years. My sister in law bought there in '14 and moved out last year. Her big gripe was the traffic in the morning on 98. It hasn't been bad this past year because of the pandemic but when schools go back F/T and people start commuting again, 98 will be a pain to navigate in the am. The county / state are way behind upgrading that roadway.

The Heritage neighborhoods are also very nice. Those subdivisions are much closer to the retail shops and downtown WF. However, Wake Forest is being developed very rapidly!! Again, the town, county and state have not made the necessary infrastructure upgrades to the roads to accommodate the increased traffic. The Rogers Road corridor during a weekday is congested along with S Main Street and now the bypass (98). When they open Wegmans and the other development on 98 there is going to be a lot of traffic.
Exiting Hasentree via Stony Hill Road gets you on 98 with a traffic light.
Depending on where you live in the community, Stony Hill Rd is a bit out of the way, and you don't have the fancy gatehouse to drive by, but it is safer for sure.

For the OP, in retirement, the traffic can be avoided to some extent. Commuting during drive time, however? Yeah. Nuisance.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:44 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
the neighborhood is walkable in some areas that have sidewalks
Being able to go for a walk is different than a neighborhood being “walkable”:
https://www.walkscore.com/walkable-neighborhoods.shtml

And Hassentree has a quite pathetic walk score of 0:
https://www.walkscore.com/score/7004...orest-nc-27587

Old 04-16-2021, 02:46 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,054,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We built our home in Regency at Brier Creek Country Club in 2013. Like Hasentree, it's a Toll Brothers development.

We are quite happy with the quality of the home, as our most of our neighbors. (At least the ones who recognize that these are NOT custom homes and know that NOTHING is ever perfect.)

Most of the homes with basements have had problems. I've no idea if that's primarily because of the land they built on, or if Toll is just lousy at basements.

Like every builder, many of the upgrades from Toll can be done after closing by another company. You'll get a better result and/or cheaper price.

We've been to a couple of events at Hasentree and it's lovely. Too far from stuff for us, and hellish driving at night in that area.
And driving to Hasentree at night *in the rain* is even worse. If I ever visit again, I'll do it in the daytime. I did have dinner there. It was OK, not great.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:09 PM

342 posts, read 387,996 times
We have lived in Heritage for 10 years and have been members at Hasentree golf club for 2 years. As far as golf, Hasentree is much better, according to the scratch golfers in my house.

As far as the other aspects, I think it's apples and oranges. I LOVE the fact that's not in the middle of everything and love driving on 98, my husband goes from Heritage to Hasentree almost every day and I go about 2 times a week. The out in the country feel is wonderful. If I didn't have kids or teens, we would have moved to Hasentree, but Heritage is much better for kids and teens. It's closer to things, have so many families and the schools are better.

This may sound odd, but I found Hasentree much less pretentious and people trying to keep with the Jones's than in Heritage, which I expected to be the opposite. However, Heritage has a much more community type feel to it, less transient - I know more than 10 people on their second or more home in Heritage. And at least 10 people who have moved their parents or inlaws into Heritage. The club and restaurant are MUCH more accommodating at Hasentree than Heritage.

I think they are very different subdivisions and it depends on what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary