Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 04:36 PM

58 posts, read 56,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Your question...do I NEED to have an Agent if I buy new construction. My answer: YES!!!

You can go into the office and buy directly from the onsite agent but she/he works for the builder.

Who is going to work for YOU? Who is going to guide you through the paperwork (builder's contract is about 43 pages long)? Who is going to go to bat for you when there is a problem?

So, I go back to my answer...yes, you NEED an Agent!

As a buyer, you are not paying for a buyer's agent. That agent is paid by the builder in new construction, even though the Agent works for you.

In this crazy housing market, builders have very limited supply. They are asking for huge deposits and having buyers agree to crazy prices. In some cases, buyers are agreeing because they are desperate to buy.

Best of luck!
Thanks VickiR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 04:38 PM

471 posts, read 703,649 times
Absolutely a good decision. We had a realtor when we bought new construction a few years ago. It really helped too because we were buying out of state so the realtor would stop by and check on things from time to time and also be present when we couldn't be to meet with the builder.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:20 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
looking at your posting history - which is only used to confirm what is good guidance for 98% of people -

yes, you SHOULD have an agent, one qualified to provide the value they will be paid.

no, you're not required in any way to have one. At any time.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:10 PM

Default is it too late?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Absolutely a good decision. We had a realtor when we bought new construction a few years ago. It really helped too because we were buying out of state so the realtor would stop by and check on things from time to time and also be present when we couldn't be to meet with the builder.
Thanks JMMH...one follow up question...Is it too late to take a realtor to those builders whom I had already made an initial contact with? (But I have not signed a 'contract' yet).
Thanks

Old 04-19-2021, 01:21 PM

43,365 posts, read 77,271,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelangov View Post
Thanks JMMH...one follow up question...Is it too late to take a realtor to those builders whom I had already made an initial contact with? (But I have not signed a 'contract' yet).
Thanks
Some builders will say, "No."
Some won't care.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Some builders will say, "No."
Some won't care.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:07 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,584,427 times
It costs you nothing, zero, nada, to hire a Realtor to represent you on the purchase. We almost sat down to sign our purchase agreement two years ago for our current home, newly built for us. We had developed a good rapport with the sales agent for the builder and felt comfortable that we had it all in hand.

The day before we were scheduled to sign the purchase agreement my wife and I had an animated disagreement about cabinetry options and I grew concerned that we might not be making informed, responsible decisions. As a result we decided to hire a family member who is a realtor in the Triangle to represent us. I'm eternally grateful that we did.

After meeting with us for an hour or so before our scheduled time to sign the agreement, she had a great sense where we had opportunities to secure upgrades, or expand on options/features and as a result got us into a way more favorable position by the time we signed everything. Plus, she did all the dirty work of negotiating and pushing back on things that would have potentially caused problems for us, either with the final details or in our relationship. Plus, having an expert tour guide help us navigate through the various stages that came between signing the purchase agreement and actually moving in proved to be invaluable.

Interestingly, I've maintained a friendship with the sales person from the builder and she shared that she's amazed that people buy without an agent as frequently as they do. She sells homes all the time and is going to make certain that all the details tip in the favor of her employer, not the buyer (because that's her job). Why give the builder an unfair advantage?

Old 04-22-2021, 10:45 AM

4,261 posts, read 3,186,086 times
Purchasing a new house without an agent to represent you is generally not in your best interest. Many people don't realize that in most cases, the builder's on-site agent doesn't represent you....they work for the builder.

Find a "good" agent....you'll be glad you did.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:03 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Purchasing a new house without an agent to represent you is generally not in your best interest. Many people don't realize that in most cases, the builder's on-site agent doesn't represent you....they work for the builder.

not in most cases - in ALL cases. Unless you happen to have a friend that's on-site and works you in special.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:58 PM

471 posts, read 703,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post

That's right. I distinctly remember a few times my realtor would bring up a point or question something, and I could tell that the on-site agent was annoyed. That's when I knew I made the right decision to have a realtor representing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary