U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 AM

58 posts, read 189,428 times

Advertisements

We have recently moved into a neighborhood near Crossroads in Cary (we're actually just inside the Raleigh line).

Our daughter (10) was progressing nicely in piano lessons from a neighbor before we moved. We'd like to find a decent piano teacher, individual lessons or small groups, near the neighborhood for kids that age, for ~$50/month cost. Preferably someone who teaches from their home & not some comercial studio.

Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 12:52 PM

100 posts, read 503,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsmudge View Post
We have recently moved into a neighborhood near Crossroads in Cary (we're actually just inside the Raleigh line).

Our daughter (10) was progressing nicely in piano lessons from a neighbor before we moved. We'd like to find a decent piano teacher, individual lessons or small groups, near the neighborhood for kids that age, for ~$50/month cost. Preferably someone who teaches from their home & not some comercial studio.

Any suggestions?
You were kind enough to answer my question about mechanics, so when I saw this I felt compelled to answer you.

I don't know anything about the music schools in the area but as a jazz guitarist who teaches privately I'm not sure that you will find anything for $50/month outside of a commercial school. I have to charge that much for an hour but I generally teach those who are on an advanced level and I don't give them weekly lessons as the info takes more time to absorb. Schools can give you those discounts because they operate on student volume. They charge you $20 and give the teacher $12, or whatever the rate is. Unfortunately, while many of these schools do attract competent pros, they can also be "hack magnets" because its very difficult to attract anyone with ability for that kind of pay.

Piano really needs to be taught by someone with competence; your small group instruction idea is probably the best to go with because if the teacher gets ten or so students they're making out OK. The problem I have with that scenario, however, is that the child doesn't always get the attention they need and once they get past a basic level they really ought to study privately.

There is a Cary School Of Music on Academy. I don't know anything about it but have passed by it many times:

Music Theory, Classical, Orchestra, Cary School of Music, Cary, NC

I read the bio and you have some heavy hitters with real backgrounds, people who perform with the NC symphony and such. I think even an old jazzer like me can learn something from these folks!

My other suggestion is to stop by some music stores and ask the personnel if they know of any good teachers. There's a store on Kildaire Farm Road in the plaza where Staples and Trader Joes is; there are also a couple of music stores in Crossroads Plaza near the Steinmart. I don't remember the names.

Good luck. I hope your child becomes an excellent musician. That being said have her get a law degree. They're the ones who actually run the music business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary