Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 01:45 PM

26 posts, read 17,167 times

Advertisements

What are the rules for merges by the Carpenter Fire Station Rd / HWY 55 intersection... going west on Carpenter Fire Station Rd?

1 | 2 (ends)
- | A
B | -
- | C
D | -

From the image above:
The right lane (2) ends so vehicle A merges in front of B.
I tried to merge into the slot behind B and in front of D. (Zipper merge method)
Even with my left turn signals D maintains a half a car length and refuses to back off.
There was a light colored Chevy Suburban parked at end of the road followed by trees... Before crashing into the Suburban I merge left and D goes nuts honking at me. I responded with universal sign of displeasure...

Stopping in my lane is dangerous as that can cause an accident.
I have seen some hairy situations due to the lane end and also the gas station on the corner of the busy intersection.

For better visualization I uploaded Google Map images:
I am in lane 2, which ends.
Also circled a "Right Lane Ends" and a "Lane drop" sign.
I wish they would use a zipper merge signs...

https://imgur.com/a/FU5qLKJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 01:49 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikats View Post
What are the rules for merges by the Carpenter Fire Station Rd / HWY 55 intersection... going west on Carpenter Fire Station Rd?

1 | 2 (ends)
- | A
B | -
- | C
D | -

From the image above:
The right lane (2) ends so vehicle A merges in front of B.
I tried to merge into the slot behind B and in front of D. (Zipper merge method)
Even with my left turn signals D maintains a half a car length and refuses to back off.
There was a light colored Chevy Suburban parked at end of the road followed by trees... Before crashing into the Suburban I merge left and D goes nuts honking at me. I responded with universal sign of displeasure...

Stopping in my lane is dangerous as that can cause an accident.
I have seen some hairy situations due to the lane end and also the gas station on the corner of the busy intersection.

For better visualization I uploaded Google Map images:
I am in lane 2, which ends.
Also circled a "Right Lane Ends" and a "Lane drop" sign.
I wish they would use a zipper merge signs...

https://imgur.com/a/FU5qLKJ
That is why I always use lane 1 to turn westbound onto CFS Rd. Not worth the hassle.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:56 PM

Normally I do the same, but lane 2 was much shorter so I took the "risk" today.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Ideally the zipper merge should work but you ran up against an a-hole. What are you gonna do. Technically he controls the lane so he has the right of way.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ideally the zipper merge should work but you ran up against an a-hole. What are you gonna do. Technically he controls the lane so he has the right of way.
Yea bad luck on my end.
So the best solution for me is to stop / wait and hope I don't get rear ended? Basically a lose - lose situation for those in lane 2?

Also it was a Karen in a Toyota Sienna with a great view of my Nissan Altima's turn signals.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:25 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
I think the "TrafficSys" rule of thumb is (at least what he told the N&O a few years ago!) - if traffic is moving and not stop and go, merge in early if you can anticipate the lane is ending ahead of time. If traffic is stopped or slowly moving, feel free to use the zipper merge method

Old 04-20-2021, 02:26 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikats View Post
Yea bad luck on my end.
So the best solution for me is to stop / wait and hope I don't get rear ended? Basically a lose - lose situation for those in lane 2?

Also it was a Karen in a Toyota Sienna with a great view of my Nissan Altima's turn signals.

I'd be pissed if I drove a Mini Van too.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think the "TrafficSys" rule of thumb is (at least what he told the N&O a few years ago!) - if traffic is moving and not stop and go, merge in early if you can anticipate the lane is ending ahead of time. If traffic is stopped or slowly moving, feel free to use the zipper merge method
I tried to merge immediately after clearing the gas station on the corner (most dangerous spot on that intersection). With my blinkers on I moved very close maybe even on the dotted line re-enforcing my desire to merge. I only fully committed to the lane change before reaching the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I'd be pissed if I drove a Mini Van too.
I'd rather drive the minivan than a 2012 Altima. Not sure if it's just that model year, but the accelerator is too light, braking is non-linear, and several other annoyances. But I digress.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:45 PM

368 posts, read 294,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
A little different since it’s a turn and drop lane, not a freeway. But the same general theory.

Trikats, you drove correctly, but ran into (figuratively and fortunately not literally) a jerk that didn’t. You adjust and move on.

If drivers would use the second lane more, the intersection would operate more efficiently and everybody wins. But that’s not the “all about me” mentality.

Regarding the zipper merge, we’re trying again at NC 24/NC 58 down near Cape Carteret. We are trying to shorten the queue going over the bridge to Emerald Isle. Again, need to convince the jerks that THEY will get through quicker if people use both lanes.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:37 PM

465 posts, read 699,493 times
Just was at this intersection about 30 minutes ago making this turn. I only go into the right lane if I can be the first car or as you said if the left lane is crazy long and I'll take a chance as I'd rather have to worry about merging in then sitting at the light through another cycle.

Zipper method is always correct but sometimes people get mad when others want to merge in. Honking is an annoyance and if you force the issue they have to back off or they hit you and are at fault being the rear car and not allowing you enough room.

Sometimes you can tell somebody's going to be a douche canoe as you turn, and then I back off and zipper in behind them. At the end of the day we (hopefully) all get safely to our destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary