Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,072 times

Advertisements

So I checked the capped High Schools list and the list isn't huge. Panther Creek, Apex and maybe 2 others. Fuquay was not on the list and was an area of interest to us, but the wife said 9th grade is capped there just not the whole school. She said something about a new school was built recently and the students are there while the old building is being renovated. I think she is nervous about the shake up that will occur when the old one opens back up.
To add to this, our kids go to a super small school right now. They are athletic enough to walk on any sports team and do at least ok. No cuts and equally less intense competition they can feel like all stars without 24x7x365 dedication to a single sport. That is the gist of their social life too as it is the catalyst for hanging out with other teammates, etc. My oldest is very shy and socially challenged, but he has found his way and his confidence is growing in this environment.
It probably magnifies the fear of that uncertainty with the WCPSS situation. Just not sure how to convince my wife it will be ok and we will all be better for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Agreed -- seems like the stress of making too many decisions is getting to you.

Consider some other reasons to just rent for a spell:
1. Prices are such that renting honestly is the better deal, especially in western Wake. (I'm not sure how anyone breaks even renting a newish 4BR house for $2000, but that's the going rate.)
2. You can then move directly into an empty-nester house, and take your time planning that.
3. Rentals won't be the newest houses at the edge of sprawl, which is exactly where schools are most likely to redistrict.
4. Getting resettled and all is enough work; foist some of that onto a landlord.

Agreed that high schoolers are least exposed to redistricting -- high schools are a lot bigger (usually 2000+ students), so fewer of them are built, and new school openings spur broad redistricting. Looking ahead, the next WCPSS high school won't be built (in the Feltonville area) until 2025 or later, when your youngest won't be affected. (New high schools only open for 9th/10th graders and phase in.)

Having grown up in WCPSS with classes in trailers in most years, they're... okay? There are only a few at any given school; check Google Maps for proof.
Curious why you say renting at $2k per month is the better deal? I could see the math being better if I was mortgaging the entire purchase amount, but in my case I'll have enough equity to put towards a home down there that keeps my mortgage + taxes pretty close to what I pay now and it's less than $2k. Plus renting builds no equity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to renting but I would want to do it for 5 years. Perhaps there is more here I'm not thinking of though?

Old 04-28-2021, 01:32 PM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
There's no such thing as one grade being capped. A school is, or it isn't. And the board decides each year which schools are capped.

I think the confusion with your wife lies in the fact that Willow Spring HS is opening in the fall, and it's a new school that will start with 9th and 10th graders only (as all new high schools do here). But CURRENTLY it houses Fuquay HS, whose building was being re built and the newly built school will be re-opening in the fall, to all 4 grades. That's just a matter of moving all the kids who are supposed to go to FVHS back to that campus. There's no mixing and matching going on.

If your kids are used to walking onto sports teams, that will definitely be a challenge here depending on the sport. Cross country and track are usually "no cut" as long as there's no disruption or fooling around. The multi sport thing is hard too....there are a lot of triangle area schools that are state champions in various sports. My kid would play 3 sports if we didn't live here. She does two.

The flip side is new kids are always moving here, so it's not a novelty and many kids have been "the new kid" at some point themselves.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:20 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,245,715 times
Keep in mind as well that if you wait 5 years, Apple will be here. If you think it is tough now...

And yes, the school system is struggling under this incredible growth. I have 3 in school now, and my oldest switched to a new school in 8th grade BY CHOICE because they opened up a brand new middle, and she loved it even though she was only there 1 year.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:30 PM

176 posts, read 240,222 times
Have you thought about a private school? There is Thales in Apex that would offer much smaller classes than the public schools. Also, what about purchasing a new home rather than a resell? That would give you time to sell your present home. You could look at 12 Oaks in Holly Springs which has lots of New York transplants. I believe there are still some new homes being built which may be available, but the development has gotten very popular, so I'm not sure.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
Have you thought about a private school? There is Thales in Apex that would offer much smaller classes than the public schools. Also, what about purchasing a new home rather than a resell? That would give you time to sell your present home. You could look at 12 Oaks in Holly Springs which has lots of New York transplants. I believe there are still some new homes being built which may be available, but the development has gotten very popular, so I'm not sure.
Yes, looked at Thales but didn't feel comfortable we would be accepted. Also seemed like a teaching methodology that is best to get started on early. Might be a tall task for 8th and 9th graders to jump into that.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous12 View Post
Curious why you say renting at $2k per month is the better deal? I could see the math being better if I was mortgaging the entire purchase amount, but in my case I'll have enough equity to put towards a home down there that keeps my mortgage + taxes pretty close to what I pay now and it's less than $2k. Plus renting builds no equity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to renting but I would want to do it for 5 years. Perhaps there is more here I'm not thinking of though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous12 View Post
they're talking about renting for 1 year, while your family acclimates to the area and you then find a home to buy.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:46 PM

89 posts, read 104,636 times
I will put a plug in for my kid's high school, Middle Creek in the South Cary/Apex area. I have one that graduated from there last year, a junior there now and a rising 8th grader that will go there in a year. We've been very happy there. It's not capped and not overcrowded (it does have an annex area, but that's really no big deal). Very competitive in some sports. It may not be as well known as Panther Creek, but I also think it's not really as high pressure. My kids have had mostly good teachers and even some excellent teachers. My oldest did marching band and loved it. Both boys have been in the Design and Engineering Academy and have had great experiences (unfortunately that academy is closed, but they have a really strong Adobe Digital Media Academy). My middle son is on the track team and has enjoyed that.

I've lived in the same neighborhood 23 years and Middle Creek has been our high school at least 20 of them. There isn't a ton of redistricting out here. Where I live (close to 1010/Kildaire Farm Rd) is not as close to RTP as West Cary/Morrisville of course, but it is closer to Raleigh, downtown Raleigh, downtown Cary, Holly Springs, etc. I don't know what part of Cary your job would be in, but I can get to downtown Cary, the old mall, crossroads, etc in about 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary