Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 09:52 AM

17 posts, read 15,445 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a home in Wake Forest within the next few months (In the Forestville/Reynold's Mill area);

I am just wondering, do people commute to RTP from Wake Forest?

I also may be working in Cary, or Downtown Durham;

I'm concerned about purchasing a home in Wake Forest, due to the commute to RTP, Cary, or Downtown Durham;

Should I just keep looking for a few more months and find something in North Raleigh (instead of Wake Forest)?

Will the Wake Forest Capital Boulevard upgrade improve commute times in the next few years?

(https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/capit...Daccess%20road.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 10:42 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconValleyLocal View Post
Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a home in Wake Forest within the next few months (In the Forestville/Reynold's Mill area);

I also may be working in Cary, or Downtown Durham;

I'm concerned about purchasing a home in Wake Forest, due to the commute to RTP, Cary, or Downtown Durham;

Should I just keep looking for a few more months and find something in North Raleigh (instead of Wake Forest)?

Will the Wake Forest Capital Boulevard upgrade improve commute times in the next few years?

(https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/capit...Daccess%20road.)

I live in WF, but WFH, so consider the source.

A commute from WF to Durham would rely on 98 or Capital to 540 to 40. A commute from WF to RTP would be some combination of Capital and 540. Cary would take you down to 1/401 to 440 (I am allowing for the idea that you could jump off a main thoroughfare and use side roads to navigate if traffic necessitated it).

Having said all that, I would guess a commute time from WF to RTP in rush hour of 45-60 mins (I can get to the airport in ~30 mins in regular traffic). From WF to Cary in rush hour would be a little longer. Commute time to Durham would be the most of the three (assuming based on distance and if you take 98, even with no traffic you can't go as fast as you would on an interstate). Each of them are at least 25 miles one way, as I have said in other threads on this subject, this isn't an area where you HAVE to live that far from work (which is the case in many other areas given RE prices) so doing so is in many ways more a willingness reason than a stark reality reason.

Hoping there are some WF residents with commutes who can either confirm what I am pontificating about or add additional flavor for you.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:10 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
I have a couple of co workers who live in Wake Forest and they hate their commute, and our office is in Cary right off US1 so don't even have to travel once you're off the highway. It's an hour. Like I said they hate it. Where in Cary is the job?. I live on the west side of Cary and got my vaccines in WF and it was 40 minutes to get there with zero traffic and me doing 80+ on 540. No way would I do that every day. Coming home I noticed the traffic getting into WF was horrible.

Last edited by twingles; 05-01-2021 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-01-2021, 11:25 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Just to pile on a bit here.
I live in Cary. I have been blessed with a few opportunities in Wake Forest over the last year or two.
IMO, Wake Forest and Rolesville are fine towns, lovely neighborhoods, good services, and growing like a weed with the attendant congestion increases.

My "commutes" to and from have convinced me there would have to be a significant overriding motive to buy there and commute daily to Western Wake, RTP, etc, and an even more significant motive if that commute was during regular drive time hours.
People say, "Traffic here is a joke compared to WYZ," but why live a joke when one can just be closer to work and spend more time at home?

I did long commutes for enough years and short commutes for enough years that I would not consider a long commute without that significant or non-negotiable overriding motivation.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:13 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,840,767 times
I’d go not much further north than the lake for access to 540. So the extreme part of North Raleigh. If you have family or friends in Wake Forest, this gives you access there, but shaves 15 minutes off commute time. I live off Durant Road/Falls of Neuse in Raleigh, and can get to any those three places in less than 30 without traffic. I work in West Raleigh and early (and my son goes to WFHS), so I never have traffic issues. But traffic picks up around 7:00 on 540.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:36 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Plenty of people commute from Wake Forest to RTP. So many that it causes about 10 miles of stop and go traffic on 540.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:42 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,840,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Plenty of people commute from Wake Forest to RTP. So many that it causes about 10 miles of stop and go traffic on 540.
Yeah, Falls of Neuse becomes bumper-to-bumper for about 2 miles heading to 540 with all the cars heading from the Wake Forest direction. They’ve improved the on-ramp with a metered light, so it moves fairly consistently but still. I can only imagine what it’s like on Capital. If you have flexible hours, great. If not, it’s doable but long and not fun.

I also feel like if you can wait to find out where your job is, that would be beneficial. Unless you are tied to North Raleigh/WF (which were the only places mentioned by you). RTP/Cary/DtDurham each have different zones for where to find houses. There is obviously some overlap, but also much that isn’t. I also wouldn’t hedge my bet on the Capital infrastructure upgrade, not in the near term.

Last edited by Heel82; 05-02-2021 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-02-2021, 08:59 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconValleyLocal
Yes, definitely. My husband has worked at Duke and works in RTP and has had numerous coworkers over the years that have lived in WF and didn’t seem to mind. We’ve actually been considering WF ourselves although my husband probably would only have to make the commute two or three times a week. I currently make the drive once and occasionally twice a week to WF from Chapel Hill at mostly non-peak times and don’t think that’s a horrible drive, but I’m sure everyone has their own comfort levels.

As far as routes and times, there are several ways to go and of course going at peak times will definitely increase commute time. Forestville/Reynolds Mill area is practically North Raleigh (just way north! ) in my book, so it’s not even as bad as the rest of WF. You could go 98 to Sherron/Miami or you could make your way to 540 via Falls of the Neuse, US 1 (aka hell on earth) or Ligon Mill and then hit 40. I decide which route just depending on my mood, the time of day, and how much time I have. Without traffic, they’re all roughly the same with the 40/540 route being a little faster. Without traffic, it’d be around 30 minutes but with it’d be more like 45 minutes or so and maybe closer to an hour on 98 if/when everyone starts going back to the office.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:34 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,204 times
I’d consider those commutes pretty terrible for our area as they are today, but you’ve also got to consider the growth in that part of the county (and outside the county) over the coming years. I’d expect 50% more traffic in 10 years minimum, and it could be significantly higher.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:14 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,570 times
I’ve worked in RTP and my husband has worked there for many years, and most coworkers have a minimum of a 30 minute commute with many being 45+ minutes, particularly those in SFH. CD is the only place I hear that this is the exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary